"Treasure Map" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is a hint in 70 A: Sound heard in the poem as you stand on the shore looking at your treasure map for the "X location" = SURF.

2. The reference to the poem will only make sense after solving. If the grid is your treasure map, and there are no Xs in the grid, how might you form one?

3. The grid diagonals form an X.

4. Unless you are a big E.A.P. fan, you will probably need to use Google to identify the name of the poem.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, got there with nudge 2, don't think I'd have seen it in a million years (just because it plays on a weakness). Ironically, though, I did try the opposite of the correct path. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudged across the MOAT.
I was so far off-base on this one...

Impressive construction, Ben. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

An update for you:

DCBilly
ajk
Laura M
Jaclyn
KayW
BMW
Salty
Johnny Luau
Tom Wilson

We're up to 47 now. Final update before the answer reveal Monday morning, Australia time.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Three more solvers, bringing us to a nice round 50:

CPJohnson
Spid4567
Mr Tex
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Treasure Map":

Treasure Map (solution).png

My thanks to @Abide for assistance with the title for this puzzle. I originally called this puzzle "Cross-Purposes" (after considering and rejecting "Nested Messages"). Peter suggested "Treasure Map" and incorporating a hint in the clue for SURF.

This was an extremely difficult puzzle to clue. I first came up with the crossing message (the two halfs of which share a middle letter). Then I identified a poem fragment that was exactly 78 letters long. That was hard enough; but then the trickiest part was cluing everything to be 1) gettable, 2) not obviously strange (did I manage to do this?), while 3) incorporating a specific character to be the last character. I was not ashamed to use the clue bank on Crosshare: if I found a clue that already had the correct final letter, I used it as is or tweaked it slightly. If not, it was a combination of thesaurus / onelook.com / Google, and quite a bit of artistic licence! Some of the longer clues might have struck you as strange: for example, why quote Joan Jett and then mention her MTV special? But I loved it when it fitted perfectly: like, 35 D "Kind of camera (abbr.)" and 22 A "Surname of 26 A". All in all, I enjoyed constructing this one; hope you enjoyed the solving process!