"Make It An Even Dozen" May 3, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late to the zoom and found out that what I though HAD to be the answer was not. A second deeper look has now shown me the correct answer.

My sincerest apologies for the page 1 infraction.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
dho

Post by dho »

Thanks Zoom, as always, for the nudges and the laughs. Always enjoyable

Don and Lisa
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On a sunny shore.
Had the right answer, but for some reason didn't think it was correct.
Thanks to Zoom Room and Wendy for setting me straight. I tend to try to anagram everything, doh!
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

Solved with the help of the zoom call.
I certainly can't imagine any wine from that city, so it'll be a Pinot Noir from Napa Valley.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

I definitely needed the Zoom crew's tireless assistance to keep me from drowning at sea this week.. yikes. Maybe starting the day with a team-building Escape Room activity siphoned too much of my brain juice? At any rate, now that I'm finally on the beach, I think it's time to enjoy some beverages that'll surely use up anything that's left.

Thanks to all and have a great weekend!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Another wonderful Friday Zoom session! Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DebPal wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:29 pm Amazingly ashore!!! This is the first one I’ve ever gotten since I’ve been at this for the last 4 months! It popped right out to me and, as I’ve said, that has never happened.
Woo hoo! Congratulations! And this was not an especially easy one. Welcome to the forum
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Darth

Post by Darth »

HunterX wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:45 pm
Darth wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:26 pm On Naboo. Had my landing gear down early. Now cue up the "Imperial March" as I head over to the cantina. :lol:
While congrats are in order for making page one, I'm surprised you didn't wait until Saturday to post. Or maybe you'll post something special then?

"[Saturday's date] be with you!"
Thanks, and yes ... look out for "Revenge of the SiXth" in the coming week's Muggle Meta Mondays (MMM)
Last edited by Darth on Sat May 04, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

On shore after pondering for a bit. Now I'm sure.
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Ashore with help from the zoomers.
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

After searching for donuts and eggs in the grid, got pointed in the right direction and solved. Very nice construction
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I do so love that Aha! moment. Especially when it comes when you aren't even thinking about the puzzle, but your brain starts assembling things for you! Time for a celebratory moment with a beverage from Scotland.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the beach! It took me a long while to see this. Not the fault of the puzzle, though. It was due to my having only a passing knowledge of what I needed to see on the first step.
Char

Post by Char »

Ashore
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it, with Zoom crowd's suggestion. Thanks, all!
Cynthia
RVAtoOBX

Post by RVAtoOBX »

I was definitely down a deep, dark rabbit hole until the Zoom call pulled me out. Thanks guys, I'm safely ashore now.
"If the little grey cells are not exercised, they grow the rust." Hercule Poirot
PapZ

Post by PapZ »

Woo-hoo! Probs the fastest I've ever gotten it! I'm ashore. I'll have a Kona Longboard Lager, please.
RobM

Post by RobM »

On shore. Completed the grid on Thursday, but couldn't find a trail to follow. Then picked it up when I came home from work on Friday and saw correct path. Fun one.
Last edited by RobM on Fri May 03, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron

Post by ron »

I have an answer that makes some sense but I wish it had more confirmation. If nothing else jumps by Sunday I'll go with it. I don't know what you call that - wading in the shallows?

I'll have to try that zoom call one of these days.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm currently on the boat, completely stuck on a seemingly empty rabbit hole.

The good news is that simply referencing census reports gives me a 1% chance with even a random "Hail Mary," so those are better odds than usual in my situation.