"Name That Actor" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

How I got across --
Untitledzzgoogle.png
But I understand there's a much more fun way! :P

Thanks for a multi-faceted puzzle, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We start with 44 solvers! Appropriate for a "week 1" puzzle:

markhr
woozy
Tom Wilson
Cindy Weatherman
boharr
LarsCaine
katie
Danny K Bernstein
Pair O Ducks
Darth
Cindy Heisler
I K Snamhcok
hoover
frostyjhammer
Meg
MatthewL
DebbieC
imontoo
Hector
kurtalert
heidi
Ergcat
dadsonvacation
Tyrpmom
lbray53
ducky
GamingGuy907
Rebekah Hardy
Sharkicicles
BMW
DrTom
Elana
Laura M
DIS
KayW
whimsy
Alex Sisti
Jaclyn
Berto
Tim
CPJohnson
Dow Jones
ELSavage
Jeremy Smith
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved but needed to backsolve the clues after identifying the nickname. Interesting idea, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FINALLY got this one with the help of google! Not for the faint of heart, but highly rewarding!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Stormed the castle, no Google needed...thanks Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

JM
Johnny Luau
ajk
Gutman
Golem
HeadinHome
Spid4567
Qmark

We're up to 52 now. Nudges imminent!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Your hint is in 77 across: "Nickname of the meta answer who starred in the movies disguised in the asterisked entries (and whose first name is also spelled out in the grid)"

2. If you start with the asterisked entries, each one represents a movie title. Some might be easier than others!

3. If you want to look for the name spelled out in the grid, just look at across entries. Symmetry (and centrality) will be your friend!

4. As a last resort Google "actor nickname bruno" and you will get the meta answer. Then see if you can decode the disguised movie titles!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I got the meta right way because of the nickname but I’ll say it’s worth the fun to do a backsolve.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

DCBilly
Steve M
Depp Alexander

That brings us to 55. Last update right before the answer reveal, Monday morning Australia time.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Got it, but only after all the nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Only one additional solver, giving us a grand total of 56 solvers:

Dave C

Onwards to the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Name That Actor":

Name That Actor (solution).png

I remember being pretty happy about getting ALL TWENTY SEVEN FEET into the grid, with a clue that harkens back to the source of the idiom "whole nine yards". And I absolutely adore the clue and entry 34A: With 34 across and 34 across and 34 across... (ad infinitum): Sounds of hesitation. I can just imagine all those ERs looping to infinity! :D

I also really enjoy a lot of Bruce Willis' movies. I couldn't find a way to clue DIE HARD, MOONRISE KINGDOM, or HUDSON HAWK, and many other great movies. But what a body of work! :D
G1ng3rBr43d

Post by G1ng3rBr43d »

Great puzzle. Got it after the nudges.