What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Surprise find while searching for new-to-me films with Bill Nighy: "Still Crazy" (1999)

Bill Nighy is a middle-aged long-haired rocker (no NOT his character in Love Actually) whose band broke up in the 1970s and they are trying to make comeback in twenty years later. It's fun and funny and nostalgic. Bill does his own singing, and the songs were written for the film by legit rockers.

It's directed by the director of The Full Monty. The rest of the cast is great: Billy Connelly, Stephen Rea, Timothy Sprall, and the first acting role for young Rachel Stirling (Diana Riggs' daughter). You can't lose.

It's free to stream on Tubi (with ads) - no registration even necessary.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

“Repair Shop” used to be on Discovery+Roku but has disappeared. Anyone find it?
Heidi
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:16 pm “Repair Shop” used to be on Discovery+Roku but has disappeared. Anyone find it?
There are some full episodes on YouTube.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:59 am
hcbirker wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:16 pm “Repair Shop” used to be on Discovery+Roku but has disappeared. Anyone find it?
There are some full episodes on YouTube.
We found those, thanks Al!
Heidi
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Whist in London this past October, we visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street. It was a real treat! I returned home to delve myself into The Easton Press 3 Volume Set on the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, etc. If that wasn't enough, we loaned out from out library the DVD Series, Sherlock Holmes, The Complete Granada Television Series, starring Jeremy Brett.

I cannot recommend this series highly enough. Brett's portrayal of Holmes is incredible! He portrays all of the quirkiness, mannerisms and behaviors of Holmes as depicted by A. Conan Doyle's writings. The series itself is also true to the original stories.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I blame @Guffman.

Guffman

Post by Guffman »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:52 am I blame @Guffman.
This is one of my all-time favorite commercials.
Take note: That's Barney Martin in the front of the bowl.
Most folks should recognize him from being on Seinfeld as Jerry's dad.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Fascinating:

KayW

Post by KayW »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:28 pm
It's too scary how many of these I remember shot for shot or word for word. And does anyone else hear Pachelbel's Canon within "hold the pickle, hold the lettuce..."?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Some things are best not searched for. As if the earworm that ruined Pachelbel for me years ago needed any reinforcement...

But at least now I know I'm not crazy! Well, OK, maybe I don't know that. But at least I'm not the only one who hears this.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Yeah, thanks, Kay.

It's going to take a monstrous effort to not sing along at every wedding I attend.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

"The Last Repair Shop" -(40 minutes)
This beautiful leading contender for this year's 2024 Academy Award for Short Documentary is free to watch on Youtube.

It's a lyrical tribute to a program that started in the Los Angeles School District in the 1950's that provides musical instruments at no cost to children. They have 8,000 instruments that are kept in working order by a small group of technicians. The film features first person accounts from children whose lives are enriched by the program and from repairers whose lives are also enriched by doing such fulfilling work.

For any musicians and/or tinkerers out there, you'll enjoy watching the various repairs and seeing the equipment spread throughout this vast warehouse like space. I hope this will win on Sunday, and I hope we'll get to hear the filmmakers' acceptance speech.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Shogun on FX, but much better on HULU, where it's unedited, has dubbed episodes or period Japanese, excellent podcasts for each episode, plus weekly interviews of producers & actors.

It strives for historically accurate attention to detail, movements, language, architecture, weaponry, armor, & boats.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 am Shogun on FX, but much better on HULU, where it's unedited, has dubbed episodes or period Japanese, excellent podcasts for each episode, plus weekly interviews of producers & actors.

It strives for historically accurate attention to detail, movements, language, architecture, weaponry, armor, & boats.

I've been watching on FX (and very much enjoying it) but didn't realize it was edited from what was being aired on Hulu. Just curious -- what is being edited out on the FX version?
Matthew
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MatthewL wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 am Shogun on FX, but much better on HULU, where it's unedited, has dubbed episodes or period Japanese, excellent podcasts for each episode, plus weekly interviews of producers & actors.

I've been watching on FX (and very much enjoying it) but didn't realize it was edited from what was being aired on Hulu. Just curious -- what is being edited out on the FX version?
Some 'bathing suit parts,' to quote Sheldon Cooper, and language. I only watched the beginning of Episode 3 on FX to see those changes, then switched back to the HULU version(s).

I prefer the undubbed version.

The HULU podcasts & interviews are also excellent. The background enhances the episodes.