"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:23 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm Unhappily ashore. This is a poorly constructed puzzle.
Interested in hearing your thoughts after the deadline as to why you think that it is poorly constructed.
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 pm Unhappily ashore. This is a poorly constructed puzzle.

[Edit1: Corrected a poorly constructed sentence.]
I felt it was better constructed than the RICHARD III puzzle but it’s definitely not as good as RUSSIAN DOLL or ADOBE.

But I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts as well because I used “The Basics” and had my fastest solve ever.
This is not to take away from all solvers! Well done!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Count me ashore Bob. But I can assure you it wasn’t under my own steam. An able bodied seaman (Muggle friend) gets all the credit- and I hope the mug.
Major kudos to you solo solvers. This was a tough one I thought. 🙋‍♀️
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I'm on the boat. Not much time this week to do puzzles, and the few feeble strategies I've tried have yielded nothing.
Cynthia
TPS

Post by TPS »

It’s difficult for me to determine whether I am worse at golf or at solving meta puzzles - it appears to ebb and flow. I was playing pretty solid golf in late June and July and not solving metas - the past two weeks I got the meta quickly but my golf game was atrocious. Today I hit some golf shots and I am reluctant to use that word for these as they were so poor it would make one think I had never even seen golf before let alone played it - including an amazing drive where I somehow took a 8 x 2 x 2 inch divot with a driver.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Golf is a horrible game in that it exploits our cognitive bias to infer from a rare success that we'd be good if only . . . Kinda like metas. And everything else.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:29 pm It’s difficult for me to determine whether I am worse at golf or at solving meta puzzles - it appears to ebb and flow. I was playing pretty solid golf in late June and July and not solving metas - the past two weeks I got the meta quickly but my golf game was atrocious. Today I hit some golf shots and I am reluctant to use that word for these as they were so poor it would make one think I had never even seen golf before let alone played it - including an amazing drive where I somehow took a 8 x 2 x 2 inch divot with a driver.
Because of your post, if I don't play well tomorrow morning, I am going to find you and jinx both your metas and golf game. LOL :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Dom solved. I’m on shore but it took tow ropes, life preservers, and telling me to just accept the answer for what it is, even though I feel as if this one was *really* ill-served by the generic and uninspired pointer of “6-letter word”. I can’t wait to hear how this inspired mechanism led to such a “meh” result.

PS: Thanks to all who have expressed support for my brother and our family in these trying times.
KscX

Post by KscX »

I’ll take a nudge. General direction is appreciated and I might still remain at sea.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I'm with KscX. I don't know what it is, but I just can't meta anymore.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Also, if anyone wants a solving buddy, I think I'd really get more out of this with one. See my post over in Acapulco lounge.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I am completely and totally stuck on the ship. Found the grid to be a little difficult, and chased a few bunnies, but haven’t come up with anything close to a solution.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

also still onshore after another 3/4 hours of staring. anyone willing to give a tiny nudge?
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

yungchap wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 pm also still onshore after another 3/4 hours of staring. anyone willing to give a tiny nudge?
Sent a PM
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report as the PGA championship winds up. We have 34 on the ship and 98 on the shore

And our newest muggle is Jenny

those on the ship since lunch are
Colin
stmv
eagle1279
higgysue
Bird Lives
Cynthia J
Frank
Burak
DevilBunny
yungchap
JennyByrd

And those making it to the shore with some pretty heavy nudges are
Janet
larrry
Miki
Scott L
howardl
Haari
Jenny
MaineMarge
Joe R
EmilyW
Paul D
Dom
Emmajane
and Inca
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

Hector wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:47 pm Golf is a horrible game in that it exploits our cognitive bias to infer from a rare success that we'd be good if only . . . Kinda like metas. And everything else.
“Golf is a puzzle without an answer. I’ve played the game for 50 years and I still haven’t the slightest idea of how to play.” – Gary Player
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I normally don’t like to get help (for metas), but I feel like I am completely lost and have forgotten how to solve a meta (anything beyond very easy). So please, someone tell me where to start.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Clouds finallycleared and I made it to shore with not much time to spare. Given my generation.. I'm 69..it should have jumped out at me sooner. I can see some folks having no clue...
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

On shore and un-nudged. But (and I don't see how this can be a spoiler, but if it is, the censors can remove it) I think this is where I came in.
Jay
C=64

Post by C=64 »

SusieG wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:12 pm So please, someone tell me where to start.
I PM-ed SusieG with a nudge of the "Don't even think about Y until you've established X" variety. PM me if you want the same nudge. (I'll be awake; I'm on Pacific Time.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

For those that don’t see how the meta answer relates to the mechanism, I wonder if it’s a regional thing?