#10 - "First Name Basis"

Creative and challenging meta crosswords (currently on hiatus) from: www.pgwcc.net
BrianMac
Site Admin

#10 - "First Name Basis"

Post by BrianMac »

Something different from PGW this week - a series of eight mini-puzzles whose solution is a heading you might see on an artist’s portfolio.

Have fun!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Sent in my answer a little while ago. Fun puzzle. I wish more people were doing these, so they/he could get some more notoriety.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I have not sent in my answer because I still have a missing piece. I’m very surprised there aren’t more people doing these puzzles. I’m really enjoying them.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Wow. I went from "I'll never be able to get this" to "Oh wait...I see something going on" to "Oh wait, there's something even cooler going on! Wow!"

(I don't think that's saying to much because, to be honest, that's almost always how the metas go for me :D )
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’ve finished the grids. Waiting for my brain to notice something. Still waiting.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Neat concept! One piece involved something I was not very familiar with (rather ironically), but google got me there.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Excellent fun! Massive aha when the light came on. A little chagrined I had to Google one piece, but I’m glad I learned about it.

Agree with others - these puzzles really do deserve a broader audience. I’m just sorry there won’t be another one until next week!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

OK, I just started part 6, and I really don't have any interest in finishing this one. I'm sure it's clever.
Toby

Post by Toby »

The grids were strange and challenging. I have no idea what to do next.
Toby

Post by Toby »

BrianMac wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm OK, I just started part 6, and I really don't have any interest in finishing this one. I'm sure it's clever.
I think Peter will be in trouble with this one, well-meaning though he may be, and if I am correct about what he is referring to in this one, it is the opposite of racist.
Hector

Post by Hector »

BrianMac wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm OK, I just started part 6, and I really don't have any interest in finishing this one. I'm sure it's clever.
I get it, felt the same way, and really not sure where I come out on it, but maybe give it a try.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Toby wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 pm
I think Peter will be in trouble with this one, well-meaning though he may be, and if I am correct about what he is referring to in this one, it is the opposite of racist.
There was a reason, but I can't say more yet.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I did it! Interesting and different. I look forward to post-puzzle discussion of this one.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:26 am
Toby wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 pm
There was a reason, but I can't say more yet.
I got the meta, but part 6 was the only piece I couldn't figure out (even with extensive Googling). Yikes - not sure I would've gone there. :shock:
audiostar

Post by audiostar »

"I'm not racist, but..."

I refuse to believe that there was no other way to execute this idea. And yes, I solved it and I get it.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

audiostar wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am "I'm not racist, but..."

I refuse to believe that there was no other way to execute this idea. And yes, I solved it and I get it.
yeah, I agree. I do believe it must have caused him no small amount of angst.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Very clever puzzle in several different ways. We never did get one of the pieces, but arrived at a final answer anyway. I'll be very interested to learn more about the missing, seemingly controversial, piece.
Meg

Post by Meg »

With a small nudge,I saw the path and sent in my answer. I expect the comments next week will be interesting.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I must say, the controversial piece is making me question whether I want to continue with this puzzle.

But if someone wants to give me a nudge, I suppose I'll take it.
pgw

Post by pgw »

Hey solvers,

I have posted some thoughts in response to some of the upset regarding puzzle #6 appearing here and in some private messages to me. The post contains major spoilers. If you are inclined to check it out, it's at the link below.

https://pgwcc.net/archive/comments-on-puzzle-10/

pgw