"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On shore!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Is it time for diversions yet? It seems we have a lot of bird fans on the forum. Three of these guys visited us on this chilly winter day using the water on our pool cover as a birdbath. Happy indeed!
85F08374-AFFD-44E6-896C-517F208A699E.jpeg
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

HunterX wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:38 pm
SusieG wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm Ashore! This was a relatively quick one for me, and enjoyable. It’s a 100%-er. Enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio and some popcorn.
Hmm... I always wondered what wine to pair with a bowl of fine organic popcorn. Thought the best choice might be an Orvietto red-n-bock-er.
Prosecco?
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

On shore! Two weeks in a row with no nudges... maybe 2021 will actually be better than 2020 :)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Ashore! Lots of rabbit holes before getting to the answer. Feel fairly confident with the solution. Returning to the back catalog of puzzles.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Streroto wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:59 pm
Joe this was a straightforward meta for me with no inelegance. Happy to discuss privately.

Stay well
I agree, which is my point. The only possible inelegance may be that solvers were allowed a quicker, more straightforward path to the answer than maybe intended . Only Mike Shenk can explain his intent.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Flananigans

Post by Flananigans »

woozy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:20 pm I have no idea what plastic used for making lenses has to do with music.

*Sigh*

I know what I have done so far must be the way to the answer but... the answer I get is all about plastic lenses....
Ha! I feel your pain. I’m in the same rabbit hole trying to get out!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Onshore. Finished the grid Thursday evening and the meta about an hour ago. I too believe I missed a step or two in arriving at the solution. However, I am just glad I have my weekend meta free since our North Florida weather is finally warming up!☀️
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

debbierudy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:54 pm Ashore, and glad of it after last week's time on the ship. And one of these answers is my ancestor!
I'm guessing it's one of the others besides 66A. :)
Fill us in on Monday!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Lingering in the bar with Isaac sipping bourbon. I think I have step 1, but keep getting distracted by the piano softly playing in the corner of the bar...
Last edited by eagle1279 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thank goodness -- the temperamental little Prime Mover has decided to play with a different toy and is about to plunk me down at the Tiki Bar.
Capture.JPG
So I am
ASHORE.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

whimsy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 pm
debbierudy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:54 pm Ashore, and glad of it after last week's time on the ship. And one of these answers is my ancestor!
I'm guessing it's one of the others besides 66A. :)
Fill us in on Monday!
Haha I didn't even think of 66A; but yes, on Monday I'll share some family history!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Did grid today. Think I see the trailhead.
But, I can’t go any further until tomorrow.

So, count me on the boat.

(“Trailhead” and “Boat”...Yea, I know. Mixed METAphors. 😄)
Konnie
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Streroto wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:10 pm Is it time for diversions yet? It seems we have a lot of bird fans on the forum. Three of these guys visited us on this chilly winter day using the water on our pool cover as a birdbath. Happy indeed!
85F08374-AFFD-44E6-896C-517F208A699E.jpeg
Bluebirds will stay around all winter as long as they have food and water. There are a lot of them even along the coast of Maine

nice picture
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 am
Scraps wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:51 am I'm back home after two weeks at scuba instructor school.

This puzzle initially challenged my underwater navigation skills, but I made it ashore using only about a half tank of air.
No morning cocktail for me today--I'm going spear fishing today, so the alcohol must wait until later.

I almost regret solving it because I had Inspector Reneault's "Serves me right for not being musical" excuse all ready to go:
Scuba instructor school? Spear fishing?

And I thought my life, spending all day in my apartment working for hours on end on my computer until darkness has descended and my fiancée and I, exhausted, log off, and scrape together a 10pm salad to eat before crashing, was an exciting life.
Oh, I logged plenty of computer and cubicle time.

Sometimes early retirement is acquiescing to an employer’s decision to pay someone younger less money to do one’s job.

“How’d you manage to retire so early?”
“I didn’t manage anything. They stopped paying me.”

Very proud of my 28 year old son who quit his job as a cyber security engineer for a defense contractor to work full time on the business he had on the side. “Dad, I can’t be an engineer in a cubicle for thirty years. This is my chance to get out.”
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Ashore and submitted but not without questions!
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

I dreamed of the answer and the mechanism used to hide it. But when I woke, it was not as it appeared in my dream. Still hoping those years of piano lessons come in handy.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Ashore. Took a few breaks and then Isaac served me some excellent craft beer from a couple of local breweries and it finally hit me. Alcohol wins again!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:03 am Well now I'm 100% (my original answer was right, but now I know why). I'm sorry I ever doubted Mike Shenk.
Well, we were the same way --- 'I think this is right.... too many coincidences.... but then what about.... but this is pretty good..... ah, let's just submit and quit torturing ourselves'

So, we've submitted, and think we're on the beach -- but maybe missing a part 3. Al's original response encouraged us that maybe we actually are thinking alike!

Rita and George
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

Toes in the sand thanks to a little guidance from boharr. It's going to be a Ramos Gin Fizz for me. Cheers, Muggles!