"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:31 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:44 am the creator left a simpler path to follow, so the inelegance is his, not the solvers' For solvers that have followed the simpler path, you've done nothing for which you need to apologize.
In some fields (math, science), what is elegant is also what is simple. But that doesn't hold in other areas. Yes, you can fast forward to the end of the movie to find out who the killer was, You can speed-walk through MOMA and say you've seen all the paintings. And you can down a 6-oz. glass of La Crema pinot noir in a couple of seconds. But that's not the point.
Mmmm - La Crema Willamette - almost any year - chugging not allowed! However, I took the "easy" way because I saw no other until specifically guided, and I solved Blank Stares washout the blanks as well. In neither case was I unhappy with myself because I am always just delighted if I can even solve these. Oh, and if you think science is always that simple you have obviously never sat there in front of a biochemistry exam trying to decipher how the particular configuration of the molecule is going to rotate light. I mean before that test I had hair!!!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Gman

Post by Gman »

At sea, tantalizingly close, but could use a sounding board to get past the rip current.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'm ashore.

But, I Want To Tell you, like so many others of you, I believe I took the shortcut. Need to spend some time looking for The Long and Winding Road. I'm not going to Take It Easy until I see it Come Together. Not going to wait until When I'm Sixty-Four. Sure, I see things Here, There and Everywhere and it's all kind of Helter Skelter. But no nudges, please (yet). Don't want to say I got it With A Little Help From My Friends. (I'll Carry That Weight a long time.) But if I work on it For No One but me, in The End, I'll be able to say I am a...

FREEBIRD!

(For this weekend, at least.)

Disclaimer: If Something above is actually a hint, then I'll be Shocking Blue!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:16 am Mmmm - La Crema Willamette - almost any year - chugging not allowed!
The Willamette edition is pricier and harder to find than the Sonoma.
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:16 am if you think science is always that simple you have obviously never sat there in front of a biochemistry exam trying to decipher how the particular configuration of the molecule is going to rotate light. I mean before that test I had hair!!!!!
What happened to Ockham's razor? Is someone using it to shave their head?

In the few freshman physics classes I attended (it met at 9 a.m., which was very early at the time), the professor was teaching vector analysis. The problems on the final exam could be done with long and complicated calculation, but if you used vector analysis, you got to the result with just a few strokes of the pencil. I didn't find this out until the exam post-mortem (nearly literally true in the case of my own exam paper) when he explained it, and I had a much too belated "aha" moment.
Jay
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

After a good night's sleep, I am ashore and submitted. I think I took the longer, more elegant path to the meta, will see on Monday what everyone is talking about.

Last night Deb and I watched "That Thing You Do" with Tom Hanks et al., we had forgotten what a delightful film it is with so many original songs that mimic the music from that era and the naïve hope of so many garage bands that they will make it big. Recommended.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore. Read all of the posts and wish I hadn't! The only way I can see is my way.
Gman

Post by Gman »

I'm ashore. I adore this community.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Gman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 am At sea, tantalizingly close, but could use a sounding board to get past the rip current.
I feel the same! PM me. Thx
KscX

Post by KscX »

Here's a shore from 17A, August 2019, in the days of traveling freely and footloose.
CL 2019.jpg
Last edited by KscX on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KscX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:34 am Here's a shore from 61A, August 2019, in the days of traveling freely and footloose.
CL 2019.jpg
We desperately miss those days.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Gman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:32 am I'm ashore. I adore this community.
Ha ha! You were posting that you made it at the same moment I was reaching out to you. Sounds like Post-enlightenment.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Firmly planted on the ship this week. Took a stool by the piano bar hoping for inspiration, but am still hopelessly at sea.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning fellow muggles.

I am constantly amazed at the continuous ways that Matt, Mike and the gang can construct metas in different ways. For those who are new to metas, the only rule is that there are no rules which is what makes it fun and challenging.

We have 23 on the ship and 110 on the shore with our newest muggle being tobinillanovi.

On the ship are
Tom S
RobM
spotter
Peter
rosiegirl
SewYoung
MatthewB
ladybird
EVJ
jakenherman
Scott M
JaneGummy
hunkra
woozy
matty_p
chbarbee002
ReB
escapeartist
seahawks seashanty
ImOnToo
Worsdmith
meowmiao71
and Gman

And on the shore with more than a few needing resuscitation before making their way to the tiki bar are
Kay
Al
MikeH
oldjudge
joequavis
Andrew B
the Beths (ATC)
sanmilton
Toby
stmv
MileHighsolver
Cap'n Rick
paige11
TPS
Heidi
Dannyvee
Meg
laura
Tom Mueller
BarbaraK
damefox
Jace54
Tina
Anita
Wendy with her raccoons
M and M
Les
higgysue
mattythewsupuzzler
Dan A
boharr
Jordanian
BrianMac
Tmart
Cosmo
HeadinHome
streroto
LizD
sharkicicles
Homer
markhr
dplass
joes
Chris
Franklin
Trey and Marion
SusieG
dudeski
EmilyW
Tripod
seans
Frank
MajorDomoTom
Bill
Steveb
Dave C
Schmeel
RDaleHall
JimJim
Rex
LittleGood
JRS51
Plymouth Rock
scraps
Fred
otlaolap
Copper River
Jennifer
Grover
tobivillanovi
whimsy
TeamDoubleTow
Ed S
the Thurman8er
C=64
ky-mike
michaelm
edot
lbray53
Flananigans
JeanneC
Blair
bread-girl
moi - having been pulled to shore by the life guards
b4alltime
Fishoutowater
MaineMarge
Cindy N
Debbie
Jud
cinemagical
Glyn
kdubs
Bird Lives
ajk
Lacangah
dk letter
DrTom
halseymac
Lyman
Orsys
Rita and George
Crest
maprasad
Billy M
Omnibus
jhseeman
and eagle1279

Good luck to all and stay safe.

let me know how many on the shore I have missed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:57 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:16 am Mmmm - La Crema Willamette - almost any year - chugging not allowed!
The Willamette edition is pricier and harder to find than the Sonoma.
But softer and more nuanced - worth the search and the few extra bucks (unless of course you are going to guzzle and then...). I do like the Sonoma (and if you are a BJs member it is $17.50!) but Oregon is my favorite US pinot destination. I like Burgundy but I don't like their snotty pricing structure. You can find some decent entry level Bourgogne Rouge that won't entail you hocking your TV set, but anything with Cru in its name is shocking. Unfortunately supply and demand, as well as patina, combine to raise the price bar.
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:16 am if you think science is always that simple you have obviously never sat there in front of a biochemistry exam trying to decipher how the particular configuration of the molecule is going to rotate light. I mean before that test I had hair!!!!!
What happened to Ockham's razor? Is someone using it to shave their head?
Occam was however a friar (as opposed to a broiler I suppose) and not a scientist and no doubt never took biochemistry. In the scientific method Occam's razor is respected of course but not always valid in questions of logic since there is always a large set of possible answers. Scientists tend to choose how easy the answer is to prove, and the easier to prove the better. For example "All sheep are white" is an easy explanation but refutable with the single demonstration of a black sheep (or DrTom as the case may be). Additionally, given enough time the truth may change - "all roads lead to Rome" may have been correct at some point in history, but having traveled in Italy more recently I know that some lead to a dead end on a scary mountain road in the dead of night. Besides on the exam in question, had there been any razor I would not have used it to shave my head, but probably to slit my throat (or the Professor's which would have been the simple answer).

In the few freshman physics classes I attended (it met at 9 a.m., which was very early at the time), the professor was teaching vector analysis. The problems on the final exam could be done with long and complicated calculation, but if you used vector analysis, you got to the result with just a few strokes of the pencil. I didn't find this out until the exam post-mortem (nearly literally true in the case of my own exam paper) when he explained it, and I had a much too belated "aha" moment.
Vector analysis you say - well I prefer Vector Velasco, he is the little scientific principle that lives in the attic of my head and only come down to get me drunk on ouzo!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Count me as one more that thinks they are onshore, but feels like they have missed a step. Not done looking for the elegance, but would love to confirm my answer with an enlightened muggle in the meantime...
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

Ashore! Clever but tough. I respectfully disagree that you don't need any musical knowledge, but you don't need to be an expert.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am Good Saturday morning fellow muggles.

I am constantly amazed at the continuous ways that Matt, Mike and the gang can construct metas in different ways. For those who are new to metas, the only rule is that there are no rules which is what makes it fun and challenging.

We have 23 on the ship and 110 on the shore with our newest muggle being tobinillanovi.

And on the shore with more than a few needing resuscitation before making their way to the tiki bar are
Good luck to all and stay safe.

let me know how many on the shore I have missed.
Think you missed me at #203.

(Or you were just too dazzled by my many, wonderful music references.)
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Powers2020 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:01 pm Count me as one more that thinks they are onshore, but feels like they have missed a step. Not done looking for the elegance, but would love to confirm my answer with an enlightened muggle in the meantime...
Thanks to the very enlightened Boharr and Eagle1279 for the DMs. Was definitely on the beach, but definitely shortcutted. I see the elegant solve now (with a nudge) and it's worth the effort!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

On shore: I feel the warm sand. (I am being more aggressively positive than usual!) I am also not quite sure how I got here!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

After now finding the 100% confirmed, no inelegant final step needed solution, I wish he had only used that one and skipped the clunkier version.