"Math Ed" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges are imminent, but here are the additions to the solvers list first:

C64
ReB
Pandora's Blocks Weekly Meta Crossword
bereolos
Jeremy Smith
Qmark
dplass

bringing us to 29. Let's see if the nudges can add a few more...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Given the puzzle title, and the fact that we are looking for a song title, 44 down is clearly important.

2. There are also a few clues that cross-reference one another. This is intentional.

3. These four clues together make a shape.

4. 7 down, 38 and 40 across can be read as instructions (with "to").

5. Clue numbers are involved. You will also almost certainly need Google (unless you are a huge 44 down fan!)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks for # 4, Ben. It allowed me to salvage something from my past week of flubbing! :D

Capturecastlesalvage.PNG
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :tornado: :european_castle: (with nudge #4) Thanks Ben! Happy Muggleversary and many many more :clinking_glasses:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged across the moat. Impressive meta, Ben. You have a real gift (crosswords and metas). Thanks for sharing it with us.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay.... I figured all of those nudges on Tues. but couldn't get anywhere with them.

Still can't. (I was even going to make a Lagrange joke but figured that might be giving too much away if that actually was the mechanism)

Oh... wait... the was a single word in nudge 4 that I hadn't considered.... Oh! Would you look at that! It's spells... Something that isn't anything to do with his songs...... Oh wait.... is ?
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This is probably not a thing, but I call myself "half-nudged" if I look at nudges slowly and don't reveal anything new but rather if they use some self-confirmation. That's what nudges 1 through 4 did, and I think I've made at least 6 guesses, haha. We'll see what my near-future holds!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

Castle Stormed! :ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning here in Australia, and it's time for the answer reveal. But first, a solver update:

hashbrown
whimsy
Ergcat
molly dunkum
Spid4567
CromsFury

Total: 35
Abide

Post by Abide »

Did not pick up on Nudge 3.
Even cooler!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Math Ed":

IMG_20220718_081416_(500_x_1050_pixel).png

This was a fun puzzle to construct. Getting the letters of TRACK SIX into the grid in addition to the theme answers and hints was definitely challenging.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Tried so hard on this one to add four random perfect squares together but never thought to add 4 to the squares. Clever - and definitely seemed like that'd be a tight construction! Nicely done!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:49 pm Tried so hard on this one to add four random perfect squares together but never thought to add 4 to the squares. Clever - and definitely seemed like that'd be a tight construction! Nicely done!
Me too!

But as a math teacher you are probably aware of the sum of 4 squares conjecture that *every* number is the sum of 4 squares... which I have to admit throw me for a loop... "So.... *any* number then?"

(Of course the sum of four squares allows 0 = 0 squared to be one of the squares....)
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Man am I awful at math.. or more to the point, CARELESS at arithmetics. I thought of using all the perfect squares in the puzzle and adding 4 well before any nudges came out, but I neglected to do the #1 (jumped right to 4), and I erroneously circled 56 as the perfect square after 49 (so its +4 was 60, an N). This gave me RACKS IN… which google says is a song by some artist called Juice WRLD… so you can imagine my indignant snort when RACKS IN was not accepted.

If I’m ever on a team of code breakers with any of you people, I may be quite helpful in lateral thinking and conceptual acuity, but someone gotta check my math. Every. Time.
The other Wendy. :roll:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I was on vacation so I just got to this today. I had to go to Nudge #4, and frankly, due to the backlog of metas that I have, I went to those fairly quickly.

I was at least able to solve and did not realize that the solution had been published until I scrolled down.

So, I crossed the MOAT and walked into the castle because the gate had already been crashed by those who preceded me. I was onto the PERFECT SQUARES but did not figure out to ADD FOUR until I saw the hints.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!