"Chit Chat" Sept. 26, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Welp, with the posting of the MGWCC I'm now officially stuck on 5/5 metas this week, including this one (granted, it's early days for the MGWCC).
Good thing I have at least one in the bag for next week :lol: :lol:

ETA: ok, got the MGWCC. Progress. :lol:
Last edited by ajk on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

At least the puzzle title is Chit Chat, not CHIP Chap!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sitting around chit chatting to myself about how I just seem to have a blind spot anymore. Still on the ship and likely to be there a while.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:21 am
cheekumbaldy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am On shore! Wow, page 3 is a real improvement for me! Is it too early in the day for a Guiness?
It's Oktoberfest season. NEIN! Not too early!
I partook of the Warsteiner at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati last year. Possible visit tomorrow or Sunday for maybe a Madtree or Rhinegeist ale!
Prost!
(Need to move Oktoberfest back to Fifth street!) 8-)
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Merry Potter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:45 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:21 am
cheekumbaldy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am On shore! Wow, page 3 is a real improvement for me! Is it too early in the day for a Guiness?
It's Oktoberfest season. NEIN! Not too early!
I partook of the Warsteiner at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati last year. Possible visit tomorrow or Sunday for maybe a Madtree or Rhinegeist ale!
Prost!
(Need to move Oktoberfest back to Fifth street!) 8-)
😋

My first Oktoberfest Zinzinnati beer must be a Warsteiner Dunkel with a Limburger & onion sandwich, each year. Going to the Bearcats vs Miami U game at noon 2 blocks away, then dinner at the 'fest!
Gman

Post by Gman »

On the ship. Asterisks are my new parentheses. Are MG and MS trying to thin the herd? I got nuthin'
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ergcat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:04 pm
ship4u wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:26 am Either these puzzles are getting more difficult or we're getting dumber. Hmm, perhaps both are true......
I’m right with you, Don! I’m thinking it’s me getting dumber! 😂Went down several rabbit holes so far! Thought I had it but not confident.
On the ship with a bad cold I caught from the grandkids last weekend! Taking the end stool at Isaac’s…I’ll keep my distance!
At least you have "several" rabbit holes. I have nothing, nada, zip. (Yes, I see the *s. They might as well be orangutans.)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

cheekumbaldy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 am On shore! Is it too early in the day for a Guiness?
Haha! O-oh, you were being serious. Sorry. Anyway, I'm finally on shore.. where it's never too early for a Guinness.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

On shore after a thoroughly enjoyable time at the bar..... (at least I have found a great beach and hope it is the right now). The "aha" moment made my whole weekend.
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

After completing a tougher-than-usual grid (for me, anyway), I'm still searching for even some rabbit holes.. Another refill of coffee, please, Isaac!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Yep. sticking with Isaac. Thought I was on track but, If I am, I'll be darned if it's taking me anywhere!
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

I've been at the bar since last night, hoping for a lightbulb, but still sitting in the relative darkness of the lounge. Just not seeing anything here -- it's gonna be a long slog for me, I fear.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore
sweetc

Post by sweetc »

Still with Isaac and totally lost on this one... I guess I've tried some rabbit holes, but they were so shallow I'm not sure I could even count them as such.
rliebert

Post by rliebert »

I think this is the first time this has happened to me... I came up with a meta that works perfectly consistently (no shoe-horning or "bit of a stretch" steps), following it led me to a valid 5-letter word as per the contest clue, and yet... I can't quite see how my answer connects to the puzzle title or any implied theme (usually it's pretty clear once you have the answer). I also don't see a lot of doubt expressed by people here who say they're ashore. This is either the best red herring I've seen or I'm just not seeing what makes my answer fit as the correct answer.
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

Was so lost at sea last week, I didn't even make it to the ship! 😂

Haven't had an opp to work on this week's meta yet, so spending some leisurely time getting to know Isaac. Very much fun! Now I am not sure I even want to try to make it to shore... HMMM...😉🤔 🤷🏻‍♀️

JK 🤣
Relic

Post by Relic »

Still with Isaac and other great company at the bar.

Just redid the grid and chased two rabbits to nowhere.

Not seeing anything now.

Time for an exercise break. Off to the ship's gym I go.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

On the shore... just before the zoom! I had the meta- surprised myself working through the solution!
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
Acarl

Post by Acarl »

Don’t understand what chitchat can have to do with all the negative vibes pouring off these long answers. I came back from dental work hoping my half numb brain would stumble into a rabbit hole. Dear Isaac has rigged up a siphon to drip scotch into my half numb mouth that lies on the floor of the bar. Yea thanks Isaac
livpolfan

Post by livpolfan »

Ashore with a bourbon smash!