"Chit Chat" Sept. 26, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Reached shore after a gentle nudge from Wendy rescued me from a deep rabbit hole that was terminating in a dead-end.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore! Took me a while to see how a certain element played into the solution, but I think I get it now.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Inca

Post by Inca »

I've got this one. Enjoyed the metanism. Not so sure how the 5-letter word fits so well with the whole idea...but quite sure it's the right word.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Friday: Close home sale.
Saturday: Pack and chit chat.
Sunday: Miracle?
One world. One planet. One future.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ergcat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:36 am
hoover wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:23 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:08 am Finally left the boat. I needed a nudge to look at something I had half looked at earlier. I was trying WAY too hard on something else. Thanks for the direction, now I have to decide how much more punishment I can take from Mr. Gaffney. I may be closing in on "enough".
Mr. Gaffney may be guilty of inducing a lot of puzzling frustrations, but this week's WSJ puzzle is credited to Mr. Shenk! (At least that's what my .PUZ says.)
I think Dr Tom was referring to the MGWCC which IS Mr Gaffney!
That was my point - I left the ship and was now going back to Mr. Gaffney who, as it turns out, seemed to have given us something less straining, or at least I saw the light early.

So it was Mr. Shenk who had had the right of first confusal.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

femullen wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:51 pm I'm in Seattle this weekend attending a crew reunion for a ship I sailed in more than 40 years ago. Some of these guys I haven't seen since then. But there's a wonderful bond of friendship that grows between people with whom you've endured pitch and roll from pole to pole, and I know my heart will ache just a little when I bid them all farewell late tonight.

But we are always building such friendships, aren't we. I'm sure that in another 40 years my eyes will well up just a little when I cry, "Ahoy, Isaac!"

Count me aboard, probably to stay. At 1800 we splice the mainbrace, and once that tide comes in, there'll be no spare brain cells.
Hmmm, wonder where you are at that the sun doesn't come over the yardarm until 1800. Is this an Arctic expedition ship?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I may be on the shores of Lake Michigan with my girlfriends, but I am definitely still at sea with the meta. I am still hoping for the moment when I slap my PALM to my head and go aha! Anyway, having a great time chit CHATting and laughing and reminiscing.
20220917_191233.jpg
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Finally got this one. Geez Louise!
Early Sunday morning. Boy, is Sunday breakfast going to taste great later today!☕️🍳🍌
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
burak

Post by burak »

Finished the grid this afternoon. Had zero idea. Took another look at it right now before I was going to bed. Nada. As I was brushing my teeth, inspiration struck. It is really funny how human brain works. Classic Shenk.
femullen

Post by femullen »

DrTom wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 am
femullen wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:51 pm At 1800 we splice the mainbrace, and once that tide comes in, there'll be no spare brain cells.
Hmmm, wonder where you are at that the sun doesn't come over the yardarm until 1800. Is this an Arctic expedition ship?
Aye, Dr. Tom, a polar icebreaker: the former USS Glacier later US Coast Guard Cutter Glacier, and probably this morning what you snapped in your Gillette.

We had shipmates this evening spanning three and a half decades of the ol' girl's life. Sobriety was not tolerated.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Made it ashore after staring at the grid over breakfast here in Bamberg, Germany. Think I’ll reward myself with one (or two) of the city’s famous smoked beers.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Finally on shore. Like so many things, invisible at first, then once seen impossible to miss.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Sunday morning roll call, with Muggles reporting in from all over the world! Joining the beach party are ArchaicMage, Bob Cruise Director, Burak, Dr. Tom, HeadinHome, Hunkra, Inca, JeanneC, MisterSquawk, Omnibus, PJC, ReB, TeaJenny, and Woozy. Still puzzling away on the ship: Femullen, ImOnToo, Janet P, LadyBird, Susan Goldberg, ZooAnimalsOnWheels.

Remember, there's a Last Call group solve via Zoom at 8 p.m. (Philadelphia time) this evening. All are welcome, whether they've solved or not.

ALSO: Tomorrow's MMM puzzle was created by the regulars on the Tuesday Zoom meet-up. Give it a go!

Today's photo is a cute little guy I found while doing garden clean-up. I believe it's a juvenile red-spotted newt (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens).
Attachments
newt1.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Ugh. Took me all weekend to make the connection I knew was relevant. Finally ashore.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Magistra

Post by Magistra »

woozy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 pm Oh... after two days with fresh eyes it came to me.

It's not that it's hard. Quite the opposite. It's that you'd immediately dismiss this as to be flimsy and variable like using a boggle board of letters on top of a pile of ripped screened doors for our national security launch codes. But by dang it works and you kick it and it holds up.

So... I'll have Kamikaze shots and .... oh, it's morning?.... then a mimosa with a sprig of mint. And very strong coffee with very heavy cream to the side.
Agreed! I needed the fresh eyes of Sunday morning. Happy to be onshore at last!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Still stuck on the ship!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally ashore, but only with the help of a nudge. It amazes me sometimes how I miss seeing the obvious!
Cindy Heisler
Andy100

Post by Andy100 »

Can someone please explain what the “nudge from Wendy” refers to? Or the group zoom? It would be fun to get a nudge or join a call if people are already doing that.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Andy100 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:51 am Can someone please explain what the “nudge from Wendy” refers to? Or the group zoom? It would be fun to get a nudge or join a call if people are already doing that.
Hi Andy! There's a group solve at 8 p.m. (East Coast time) Sunday -- just click on the "Muggle Zoom Room" at the top of this page (below Isaac's photo). You are welcome to attend!
As far as "nudge from Wendy" goes ... please feel free to PM ANYONE who has solved (not just me!) and ask for help. The PM icon is on the same line as the Zoom one.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Still on the boat, but I think I've at least found the starting point and reached out for confirmation/clarification. Fingers crossed!

ETA: Nope. But I'll have an epic Rabbit Hole story when this is revealed!
Last edited by Cindy N on Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.