MEOW #102: Initial Impression

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Great grid and meta, DrTom. Thanks for the entertainment.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Finally off the couch after some kind nudging. I've been staring at the answer for days when I finally saw it. "I'm an idiot!" I exclaimed, and my wife didn't correct me.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK then! More have joined the "freed cat" society since the nudges:

33 DebbieC
34 ajk
35 Dow Jones
36 BrennerTJ
37 edestin
38 BarbaraK

With no other puzzles until Monday I am hoping all of the rest of you will take the time to join the crowd near the litterbox (that's what happens to the beach sand and cats I'm afraid) and push the MEOW into the 50's!!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Cat is out of the bag at last, and ready to fight off those other cats heading to the sandbox
Well done, DT!
CD3D1504-B37D-46C8-8EBD-9FC5223CB123.jpeg
ReB

Post by ReB »

Finally off the couch after I went back and tried again an idea I had tried earlier, only this time I did it correctly. Lots of scratches from the briar patch.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sunday Solvers

39 MaineMArge
40 ReB

I guess I don't completely understand Crosshare because according to that over 160 people have completed the puzzle but only 43 have submitted answers. I guess a lot of folks just solve the Xword and don't try the meta?

Anyway, with a day to go I am hoping for a rush of last minute solvers. Let me do one more tiny nudge, based on feedback I have gotten:

The clue nudge is NOT Caesar Cipher, it involves one more of what you have already found!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK final count, with the testers, was 44! Thanks everyone:

Cinny
Whimsy
KayW
woozy
Schmeel
Dave C
JM
Qmark
boharr
DIS
Hector
rjy
Carolyn
Mikey G
Darth
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
Ergcat
Abide
Laura M
SJMcK
Gutman
Mwoychick
Benchen71
Cap'n Rick
Ckochmanski
Beth Tyrpin
dplass
ChrisCriss
heidi
markhr
lbray53
Dannyvee
CPJohnson
Teamdoubletow
DebbieC
ajk
Dow Jones
BrennerTJ
edestin
BarbaraK
MaineMArge
ReB
Al Sisti
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The Reveal:

It seemed like it would be easy at first because many quickly saw 5 Presidents in the GRID, but then most of the following ideas got vetoed!

People tried:
First letters of the names in GRID order: MCGPT…nope
First letters of the clues in GRID order: BTAPJ…nope
First letters of the names in order of when they served: MPGTC…nope
Middle INITIALS – good thought but they did not all have them

OK, darn it Tom what is it? Well clue #33A was doubly helpful. First because it tipped you to the mechanism. I could have easily entered Obama or even Barak there but I chose his PRESIDENTIAL NUMBER, #44. What were each of the listed Presidents’ numbers (see graphic).

So you have 5 things with 5 numbers and you need 5 letters…that should be easy now! (Oh, and Clue #33 was helpful a second time because it was both a clue to the mechanism AND one of the letters since TRUMAN was #33). I did get notified, after I said I had a nudge clue, that several people thought the Caesar Cipher was the clue and went looking for a way to turn the first initials into a word with a ROT code. Great idea, but obviously I am a lot less creative than that.
Initial Impression Reveal Graphic.jpg

The answer POTUS is certainly initials and there are hardly more important initials in the world.

Thanks to everyone who solved, all 44 of you.

On Wednesday you will be treated to a brand new constructor, get your thinking caps on!!!

Tom
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got all the way to PSTOU after the first nudge, but didn't think to order them in service sequence. :lol: Came back later and it jumped out.
Before the nudge I was hung up on 5 alliterative clues:
Blonde Bombshell / Caesar Cipher / Babe's babies / Spooky sky sightings / Cork's county

The fact that there were 5 had me hung up, even though (a) alliterative clues are common and [almost] never meaningful, and (b) the fact that one of them was 3 words instead of 2 should have made clear it wasn't the path.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer