"Shifty Schemers" November 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Tricky, tricky tricky! But ashore!

It's... ah, too close to a clue! Thanks Mike S!

Rita and George
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

Under the sea…it’s better down where it’s wetter…take it from me.
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
Miki

Post by Miki »

Off the boat!
On shore singing the camp Granada song...
"Maddah, Faddah, kindly disregard this letter"
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Home from dinner with the girlfriend and second ex-wife, and a fairly quick and satisfying solve. Mike Shenk is nothing short of amazing.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Ashore after a bit of staring at the grid. Enjoying a Hardywood Christmas Morning gingerbread stout. Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow warriors and a special Happy Birthday to all current and former crayon eaters of the beautiful United States Marine Corps!
Miki

Post by Miki »

I will probably never win a mug, but I I reached my goal... I solved, submitted, and posted before Al Sisti.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Miki wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:09 pm I will probably never win a mug, but I I reached my goal... I solved, submitted, and posted before Al Sisti.
If you had only typed a little faster. *Sigh*
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Ashore on a Thursday! Still not on page one though. But progress nonetheless
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

Ashore. 🍹🏖
-Tamara
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Same question @boharr (#26) asked: How do he do it? I've just spent far too much time trying to come up with even one possible entry that uses the same principle as the themers. I got nothin'. Mike found enough for a meta.
Try it yourself, and if you find one (or more!) post it on Monday.
Jay
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

Ashore!

Respect, honor and gratitude to my fellow veterans and their families. 🇺🇸
Attachments
veterans-day-quotes.png
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've found my way from the bar to the life boats, but can't find my way from there to the shore.

Still asea.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Back in my game!

A dirty girl scout with a Midori chaser (or anything green), please.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
MMe

Post by MMe »

Got the answer without really understanding the mechanism, and then it sunk in how solid it is, and then it sunk in how improbable it is. How did he even have enough confidence to ask himself if this would be possible?
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Very clever mechanism, and happy to be ashore while saluting my favorite veterans - my father (WWII) and grandfathers (WWI). Eternally grateful to them!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
Amazed.
Astounded.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Omnibus wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:04 pm Ashore after a bit of staring at the grid. Enjoying a Hardywood Christmas Morning gingerbread stout. Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow warriors and a special Happy Birthday to all current and former crayon eaters of the beautiful United States Marine Corps!
Happy Veterans Day to all who served!

Was privileged to be asked to watch the following by & with my Marine son, yesterday, on the Corps' birthday. He hoisted a few to his sisters and brothers, past, present, & future

ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Our weekly ZOOMuggles Session will be, as usual, at 4:30 pm Eastern Time today. I look forward to seeing everyone! All are welcome! If you are looking for a nudge, want to talk about what you've done to try to solve the WSJ puzzle or just want to get to know other muggles, please attend!

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join us! See you there!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. I was lucky to see something early that showed me the path.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FINally saw it, after multiple other intriguing theories that would not work. Add me to the “impressed” crowd… and I’m working on @Bird Lives‘s challenge… it’s ON!

On shore… trying to recover from a terrible cold I picked up in Jerusalem juuust in time to make the flights home miserable for me and my ears (and everyone around me, I’m sure) … sniff, blow, groan…. Maybe a little sumpin’ in this hot tea I’m sipping would help the situation?
The other Wendy. :roll: