"Backdrops" February 2,2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Ashore after a nice nudge from a friendly Muggle. It's HIGHly unlikely I'd ever have gotten this on my own.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

On shore with a nudge from a friendly muggle. Fun one.
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

This was one where a random insight that I thought was going to be a throwaway observation and/or a giant rabbit hole somehow turned to be the key! I was worried for a bit! Great puzzle!
and MIKEYG for post #284. “What Should I Wear?” puzzle, 12/14. An elegant and lengthy report involving everything including birthplaces, Canadian provinces and Alf from Melmac.
That was one painful weekend, haha.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Hanging with the group at Isaac's. Nothing is shaking loose -- perhaps my brain has frozen over in the -5 wind chill (and dropping quickly here)...
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

On shore tho I needed to be hauled away from a very compelling rabbit hole. As always extremely clever.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:27 am I felt extremely lucky to have solved this quickly & am amazed & pleased many other muggles have, also.

For those still working, this is not an easy trip, IMHO.
More often than not to me metas are like those Magic Eye posters from the 90s where people were asked to find the hidden optical illusion. You either saw it right away, or you had to stare it for hours to see something, with your mind getting distracted and forming its own answers so you could do something more productive.
And like many a week 5 meta, I have NEVER been able to find the so-called illusion within those Magic Eye posters. I am convinced they're all a hoax. By all of yas. There's nothing there, I tell you! :shock:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Henry Paul wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:41 pm Stuck stuck stuck and keeping Isaac company (with @Deb F) since so many of y'all have departed for the shore.
Yeah, that was short. Nothing like staring some more over lunch. Sorry Isaac, just had time to down my (still non-alcoholic) drink before jetting off to the warmth. Later @Deb F --hope to see you beachside.

Terrific construction.

Stay safe all. And for those in N England, Brrr! Stay indoors!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Deb F wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm Happily looking for inspiration at the very empty bar. Isaac pleasant as ever but nary a hint will he share!
Right there with you, Henry Paul. As always, a nudge from Don (Ship4u) got me refocused and I'm with you onshore. Phew. Love Isaac but love the beach more.

Have a great weekend, Muggles. Stay safe and stay warm!
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

My brilliant DH figured this one out. Ashore.
SoccerMom

Post by SoccerMom »

This puzzle is above my normal solving threshold, but I was inspired today and made it to shore. I think it was because I was able to focus on the magic eye dinosaur picture that was posted earlier while I was still hanging out with Isaac. That seemed to focus my brain somehow, and the next look I took at the puzzle, the answer popped out for me like the 3-D dinosaur had. From now on, I'm doing a magic eye picture before any meta solving attempts!
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

Finally on the beach! One of those where you know what to do, but not how to do it. lol -- at least for me!
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Ashore after listening in on the Zoom call. Great meta but not one I would have solved this week.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. I can’t believe I figured it out - got very lucky.

Grey Goose Martini please.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Ashore thanks to lurking in the Zoom meeting. Turns out I was in range of the right idea, but I would never have gotten there on my own.
lisajoy

Post by lisajoy »

ashore with a tow-in from the zoom room :-)🏝️

thanks for a fun time all - have a great weekend! 🍻
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Ashore with an extremely helpful tow from the Zoomers -- I *may* have gotten this if I spent the entire weekend at it... or I may have just pulled my hair out by Sunday. Either way, it's time for a cocktail by a roaring fire. Stay warm fellow NE-sters!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Ashore with a zoom nudge. Not sure I would have found this one on my own.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Crazy week, finally had some time to look at this. On shore after a little bit of thrashing.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore after help from the Friday muggle zoom session.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

WOW, what a fantastic ZOOM session today! I counted 54 participants and judging from the cheerful responses, everyone seemed to have a great time. Wonderful to see everyone and have a great weekend!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!