"Backdrops" February 2,2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

On shore with the help of the loose hints provided by 52A and 60A. This one will be a favorite of mine.
Last edited by dmorack on Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Doug Morack
turbotron

Post by turbotron »

Ditto to the comments about about crucial Zoom guidance this week. While spending the weekend at Isaac's bar wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, I'm always happy to have my toes in the sand (or snow, as the case may be). :)

Happy Friday, all!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

got yanked out of the rabbit hole on the beach I was somewhat enjoying....Isaac had a wonderful selection of bourbon...by the Friday Zoom session.

And also godspeed to the rabbit.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I’ve read enough ~~ from “fabulously tricky” onwards.

Bar for the duration, Bob.

Isaac ~~ the usual.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Was able to get the grid printed before leaving hotel and started on the plane. Was ashore just as we were taking off so no 37000 foot inspiration needed this time. An interesting metanism and as always loads of fun. Thanks Mike!

Stay well all
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore with a push from the Zoom crew.....thanks, all!
Cynthia
dho

Post by dho »

On shore, with a nice nudge from the Friday Zoom Room, which gave us a start. That was my first Friday zoom--have done the Sunday a few times--and I liked it! Lisa joined after and saw the solution right away.

Don and Lisa
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Ashore after a brisk swim. I'll have a Societe Roustabout Double IPA to kick off a Friday evening.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Ashore after a nudge from @CPJohnson .
Cindy Heisler
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

OnShore
Loose hints made sense AFTER I had an answer.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Collaborating via phone with Alex... And now we are ashore!

Fun to talk this through and solve since last week I found the beginnings of the answer... But it was too close to deadline and I was too tired to follow through.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
emerisle

Post by emerisle »

Safely ashore! Thanks for the nudge, Wendy. Chocolate shake for me!
woozy

Post by woozy »

KayW wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:53 pm

And like many a week 5 meta, I have NEVER been able to find the so-called illusion within those Magic Eye posters. I am convinced they're all a hoax. By all of yas. There's nothing there, I tell you! :shock:
I had a very hard time trying to explain to my uncle that they actually work and how. I became convinced he didn't want them to work and just liked complaining they didn't. My very first experience with them was some 25 years before they were invented. When I was sitting on a rocking chair with a wicker weaving seat and the pattern of the wicker were rows upon rows of little circles evenly spaced. I spaced out and my left eye focused on the row that was 10th from the bottom while the right eye focused on the row that was 14th from the bottom and they superimposed and I viewed both the 10th row (with one eye) and the 14th row (with the other row) as though they were same row. The effect was they seat was in hyper focus and floating some four inches beneath where it actually was. The neat thing was that because each circle I looked at was actually two different circles any discrepancy between the individual circles was blurred at and the result was that the mesh I was seeing was in hyper-focus and clean as the cleanest window I had ever seen. I reach down to touch it but my finger felt resistance four inches before where it appeared to be and my figure didn't come into focus.

It is worth trying to see these magic eyes because the result is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Every single one is the most AWESOME CRYSTAL CLEAN GLASS hyper-focussed image you have ever seen in your life! They are really amazing.

So here's how to do it. Notice the image with your eyes focused normally is a repeating pattern of 8, count them, 8 columns of blobby dinosaur patterns. No relax you eyes as though you are looking past your screen. Let the image go out of focus. You will start to see double vision. Your left eye will see the image a half an inch further to the left than your right eye will see it. Let that happen. Let your eyes relax and focus a little further out so the two images grow further apart. If you let your eye focus far enough the image in your left eye will be one column to the left of the image on your right. That is to say your left eye will see columns 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 super-imposed one what your right eye sees as columns 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Column 1 in you left eye will be blurry and vague as will column 8 in you right eye. What you will see is 9 columns. The first column is column 1 seen by your left eye. the second column will be column 2 seen by your left eye superimposed on column 1 by your right eye. The third to 8th columns will be similar: the real column i seen by your left eye superimposed by the real column i - 1 seen by your right eye. And the 9th column will by the real 8th column seen by your right eye. The middle 7 columns will appear closer and in sharper focus than the two apparent edge columns.

Okay continue to focus your eyes further away and let the two images drift further apart and let the columns break apart until your left eyes vision of columns 1,2,3,4,5,6 are super imposed an your right eyes image of 3,4,5,6,7,8.

Now there are ten colums. The two our blurry and soft and the next inner two are closer but the inner six are in sharp focus. Now this is where it gets awesome. As the little blobs have discrepencies and as that is how stereoscopic depth perception works (if there are descrepencies in the images between the left and right eye we see that as something floating closer to us) we see the shape of a glass dino-saur in 3-D and it is F###ING AWESOME looking, as clean and sharp as the most polished glass.

And there is box CUT OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN and the velociraptor is JUST FLOATING THERE IN SPACE!

It really *IS* worth trying to figure out how to see these because.... as fun, and cool and humorous it might be to mock complain about how you don't know what's going on.... actually seeing what *is* going on is way, way, way cooler!

TRY AGAIN!

And on that note maybe I'll try for the umpteenth time to try and figure out what the heck this meta that everyone is pretending to see that I know just isn't really there.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore.

While solving I thought "you know there's a funny coincidence here that I could probably make a puzzle theme out of"

*10 minutes later* "oh that's not a coincidence..."
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Finally ashore - Phew! I am always amazed at the people who can construct these puzzles. Wizards!
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Ashore. A fun solve! Time for a Bombay Sapphire martini. Have a good weekend muggles and if you live in the NE stay warm and safe.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

woozy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 pm It is worth trying to see these magic eyes because the result is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Every single one is the most AWESOME CRYSTAL CLEAN GLASS hyper-focussed image you have ever seen in your life! They are really amazing.
Nope. They no longer work for me since the detached retina. One part starts to pop, then the left eye's view skews, so the rest of the image doesn't pop. Sometimes that pop shimmers from left to right as each distorted area momentarily lines up, but never the entire image anymore.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore - fun meta! On Magic Eye - was very convinced in the 1980s that it was a scam by pickpockets - everyone standing gazing intently outside the shop window, just waiting to have their wallets lifted from their back pockets.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Spent the day on the ship with the Cap’n and Bos’n. Got home from work and with the help of the wife, ashore! Once you (Ie. the wife) find the first, the rest will come pretty quickly! Long Island Iced Tea for us.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Finally, a rabbit to chase! Despite the cold, took to the patio for some inspiration. Fingers crossed this is the correct rabbit.

[img]file:///C:/Users/alan/Desktop/patio.jpg[/img]
Attachments
patio.jpg
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle