"Plurality" May 12, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore!
Thanks to the zoom sess. Should have mentioned that PLURALITY reminded me of a recent Shenk acrostic.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ashore with assistance. Devilishly clever of course, I had the right idea from the start but was looking a completely different direction. I should learn to try all the typical Meta things first but it had been a while on this variation. Now I can rest and await the MG.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Trish

Post by Trish »

Finally on shore after lashing through rough waves! Thanks Zoomers! I don’t think I would have gotten this one without your help! It is very clever! Only been doing these a couple months now and really enjoying them. Always look forward to Thursday and the new puzzle!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore after the Zoom session.

My first idea was the correct one. However, I could not bring it home and found "plural" promising ideas. Well, they made sense to me. I have three pages of notes and tallies and three things that just had to be related to the answer. Only they were not.

Great puzzle. Very cleverly done.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Wow! Another great Friday Zoom Session! Thanks everyone for coming on and sharing your puzzling thoughts! I believe we had 40 particpants and a plurality of laughs!!! I can't think of a better way to start the weekend than spending time with muggle friends!!!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Just finished the grid and started assembling the clues. First step looked obvious. Next step will have to wait, I'm going out tonight.
Barnhart6

Post by Barnhart6 »

Sorry to miss the muggles zoom, but I’m onshore nonetheless! Friday night Jameson for me!
Thanks to all the muggles in this group. Participating is the highlight of the week!
Brian B
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Ashore
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore. Quick swim this week. But quite enjoyable.
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

Ashore, as always AHA was good.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am on the beach with a belated yabba dabba doo (ala fred FLIntstone)! I did not see it riGHT away but that does not LESSen the thrill of solving! I lost some STEAm yesterday after chasing a few rabbits. I really liked one of those holes, but finally left it for a mechanism with more MERit. Now, which aDUlt beverage to kiCK back with this evening? Kahlua and cream, I think.

I really enjoyed this meta--very clever!

Beagle Channel, Argentina, January 2022
Last edited by LadyBird on Fri May 12, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Ashore.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Hmm. I think I have the answer, it fits so well, but I can only derive 3 of the letters. So, either I am way off and deep in a rabbit hole, I got lucky and found the answer using the wrong mechanism, or there is something I'm just not seeing. Putting it aside until tomorrow. Saying hello to Isaac, it's been a while.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Toes firmly in the bar stool. Could be the end of my longent run.

Ahoy, Isaac!
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

A lovely Zoom call today and hope springs eternal for your Rabbit. Thanks, Don.
Penny_Keatley

Post by Penny_Keatley »

Made it to the beach... had a couple of false starts but ultimately got there.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Now that I have been away
Left unsaid all that I had to say
How is your day
Did you find somebody else with whom to play
Another heart to slay
Served up to you on a tray
Or did she turn away
Like I did, on that fateful day
LizD

Post by LizD »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:17 pm Hmm. I think I have the answer, it fits so well, but I can only derive 3 of the letters. So, either I am way off and deep in a rabbit hole, I got lucky and found the answer using the wrong mechanism, or there is something I'm just not seeing. Putting it aside until tomorrow. Saying hello to Isaac, it's been a while.
Same! I'm sure of my answer, but I'm not having success at backsolving.
Cruise director, you can count me on shore cuz I'm submitting!
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore with a nudge from the Zoom group. Was on the right path just lacked the confidence to keep going.
Always happy to provide a nudge if I’m ashore.
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore after a bit of noodling for the last step. Very satisfying as untidy became tidy! Was feeling slightly guilty about winning the mug last week, as I didn’t feel the answer was a slam dunk, but managing this week’s on my own makes me feel like I am (just) worthy!
IMG_3852.jpeg