"L Words" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the last solver update:

Cindy Heisler
hoover
Cate C
frostyjhammer
edestlin
Tane
Dow Jones
kurtalert
MrTheHan
heidi
SJ
Mikey G

That gives us a grand total of 50! Answer reveal soon...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "L Words":

L Words (solution).png

This meta is dedicated to my daughter who turned 21 this week. The title was inspired by this quotation from Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids", involving Copolymer, the greatest storyteller in the history of the world, retelling the plot of the Discworld's version of "The Iliad":
'You see, what happened was, he'd taken her back home, and her father - this wasn't the old king, this was the one before, the one with the wossname, he married some girl from over Elharib way, she had a squint, what was her name now, began with a P. Or an L. One of them letters, anyway. Her father owned an island out on the bay there, Papylos I think it was. No, I tell a lie, it was Crinix. Anyway, the king, the other king, he raised an army and they . . . Elenor, that was her name. She had a squint, you know. But quite attractive, they say. When I say married, I trust I do not have to spell it out for you. I mean, it was a bit unofficial. Er. Anyway, there was this wooden horse and after they'd got in . . . Did I tell you about this horse? It was a horse. I'm pretty sure it was a horse. Or maybe it was a chicken. Forget my own name next! It was wossname's idea, the one with the limp. Yes. The limp in his leg, I mean. Did I mention him? There'd been this fight. No, that was the other one, I think. Yes. Anyway, this wooden pig, damn clever idea, they made it out of thing. Tip of my tongue. Wood. But that was later, you know. The fight! Nearly forgot the fight. Yes. Damn good fight. Everyone banging on their shields and yelling. Wossname's armour shone like shining armour. Fight and a half, that fight. Between thingy, not the one with the limp, the other one, wossname, had red hair. You know. Tall fellow, talked with a lisp. Hold on, just remembered, he was from some other island. Not him. The other one, with the limp. Didn't want to go, he said he was mad. Of course, he was bloody mad, definitely. I mean, a wooden cow! Like wossname said, the king, no, not that king, the other one, he saw the goat, he said, "I fear the Ephebians, especially when they're mad enough to leave bloody great wooden livestock on the doorstep, talk about nerve, they must think we was born yesterday, set fire to it," and, of course, wossname had nipped in round the back and put everyone to the sword, talk about laugh. Did I say she had a squint? They said she was pretty, but it takes all sorts. Yes. Anyway, that's how it happened. Now, of course, wossname - I think he was called Melycanus, had a limp - he wanted to go home, well, you would, they'd been there for years, he wasn't getting any younger. That's why he dreamt up the thing about the wooden wossname. Yes. I tell a lie, Lavaelous was the one with the knee. Pretty good fight, that fight, take it from me.'
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 pm
This meta is dedicated to my daughter who turned 21 this week. The title was inspired by this quotation from Terry Pratchett's "Pyramids", involving Copolymer, the greatest storyteller in the history of the world, retelling the plot of the Discworld's version of "The Iliad":
And if you'd like to read some more of the Discworld version of the Iliad plot, skim through 'Eric', where the trials and tribulations of Lavaeolus are recounted in detail.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

What a tribute! Does she solve your meta puzzles? I cannot get my mom to solve mine; she complains every one is too hard. :lol:
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:44 pm What a tribute! Does she solve your meta puzzles? I cannot get my mom to solve mine; she complains every one is too hard. :lol:
Sadly, no. None of the other members of my family are the least bit interested in my all-encompassing hobby!