PCC#9 "Character Study" (Sept. 23, 2023)

Welcome to Phil's Crossword Corner (PCC)! Philip Chow (aka Phil) is an auditor at NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation who makes crossword puzzles for fun in his free time. A new meta puzzle posts every other Saturday weekend on Crosshare.

Phil’s metas will usually include immediate nudges, a great tool for new solvers. You can reach him at pchow13@gmail.com
pchow13

PCC#9 "Character Study" (Sept. 23, 2023)

Post by pchow13 »

Finally getting around to posting my old puzzles here on this forum.

Please see below for PCC#9 - "Character Study" originally posted on Crosshare 09/23/23

[Level 3] Meta prompt: The answer to the meta is a 7-letter word you might exclaim upon solving the meta

Note: the level is the intended difficulty I had in mind when I designed the puzzle, but may play differently since every solver has their own area of expertise... what one person may find easy, another may find difficult.

Have fun and keep in mind if you're ever lost at sea, google is your best friend (actually, I don't know if you'd get internet service in the middle of the ocean)
-Phil :mrgreen:

Character Study
crosshare
PUZ
PDF

PCC9 Character Study-1.png

Nudges below:

Hint #1: The TV show associated with the theme song is the theme of the puzzle

Hint #2: "Autotrophs" and "Neanderthals" are easter eggs I included because they're in the theme song as well, but alas they are red herrings... focus on the title instead

Hint #3: "Character study"... study the clues for (main) characters from the show

Hint #4: The first letters of the answers to the seven clues with characters in them will spell out a relevant phrase... this will play out much easier if you're familiar with the show... if not, then google away

Solution below - SPOILER ALERT:

Answer explanation: The lyrics are from "The Big Bang Theory"... The main characters of the TV show (Sheldon, Leonard, Penny, Howard, Raj, Bernadette, and Amy) can be found in the clues... read off the first letter of the answers to those clues in grid order to spell out "Bazinga!"... which Sheldon uses as an interjection to rub a good joke in someone's face... it can also be used to cheer yourself on after a personal win 🥳

puzzle inspired by TG's "Chorus Line" puzzles (@reibello on Crosshare)

Attachments
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
(185.99 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Turned the corner. Thanks Phil!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.