"Piece Process" May 10, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Definitely ashore. The Zoom call helped me realize that the rabbit hole I was in, wasn't! Duh!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m so sad. My solve rate this year is far worse than last at this point in the year. And yet another one this week is eluding me. @Bob cruise director, count me in for the New England muggle meet up; maybe that week, I will actually succeed thanks to the group!
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ashore after righting the boat that sprung a leak in the logic board. :)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore.

Saturday afternoon puzzle session with the kids. Agree with the (few) comments (that I saw on page 1) that said the grid was a lot harder than the metanism, which popped out long before the grid was done.
Last edited by HunterX on Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Ok. On shore now. Count me in the group who was hopelessly down a dead end rabbit hole which HAD to be the right path. But no. Reading this board reminded me to put it away and clear my mind and think again. Gasping away but happy to be here.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Finally got some time with this and am ashore. Very nice tight meta. Nice aha.

For all you non fisherpersons this is a permit (also a 6 letter word) and a huge one at that. Biggest I have ever seen. The apple of every fly fisherperson's eye.

Stay well all
Attachments
P4210021.jpeg
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Finally, my toes are in the sand. I don't know why I can't learn to trust my instincts. Lately I have been trying really hard to make finding the answer harder than it needs to be! Agree that the grid was more difficult than the metanism, as many others have posted.
Sara
avian

Post by avian »

I'm remaining on the ship. I guess with time and practice one might start to see the metas more easily. I started out doing well with these puzzles but this one as well as the last one have been frustrating. I've tried many different approaches to no avail. I'll check it out again later today and tomorrow and see if anything pops up. The grid was difficult but then so is the meta at least for me.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ooo! What a nice fish!
Permit-ion to come ashore!
Too crowded to cast.
One world. One planet. One future.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I made it to the beach. Slowly, but I'm there...
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Neither ashore nor aboard the vessel. Nae, we're danglin' off her port side, brush in hand.
Alert Mister Isaac: we'll need lubricants once we've cleaned up.

Tip o' the cap to Muggle Mothers.
Topsides.png
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Happy Mother's Day to all!
Rufus T. Firefly
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Made it to shore pretty early into yesterday’s Zoom sesh. Somebody said something a few minutes in that helped me focus my attention, and it all fell into place pretty quickly after that.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

KayW wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:58 am Ah but sometimes it IS a zebra...
That zebra must have had a "wild" time!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore!
Tough grid, with lots of tricky clueing.
I was sort of stuck when looking at it with coffee this morning. This afternoon, driving home from the store I mentioned what the concept was to my wife (who is sympathetic to my interest in these but has no interest herself) and she said “how about ****?” Took a look when we got home and smiled, there it was!
JoeFlanders

Post by JoeFlanders »

Ashore....reasonably clever construction...not sure how Mike Shenk comes up with all these amazing variations. Step aside, ChatGPT
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. Grid was tougher than meta. Still a clever construct.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Wonderful simulcast opera on Saturday. (No meta puzzle in the theatre or I’d forfeit dinner out).
Got home, picked up the puzzle for which I previously had no clue and suddenly saw it.
A+ weekend for me! Hope everyone else has the same!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
burak

Post by burak »

On shore. Very rabbit hole-able meta.