MEOW #182 Say Nothing

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cat's out, but he's very quiet. Fun one! Thanks, DrT!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A lot of people maintaining silence while they unloose the cats!

1 ajk (T)
2 lbray53 (T)
3 benchen71
4 Danny J Bernstein
5 Schmeel
6 LarsCaine 
7 JM 
8 Cinny
9 boharr 
10 Darth 
11 DCBilly 
12 whimsy
13 kymike 
14 Pair O Ducks 
15 MatthewL 
16 I K Snamhcok 
17 kurtalert
18 woozy 
19 Meg 
20 Carolyn 
21 HeadinHome 
22 heidi 
23 DIS 
24 Laura M 
25 KayW
26 LB800 
27 ChrisKochmanski
28 Tim
29 Gutman 
30 Steve M 
31 Dave C 
32 Tyrpmom 
33 Berto
34 Abide 
35 Jeremy Smith
36 Dow Jones
37 LindaPRmaven

Thanks to all of you!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ajk

Post by ajk »

lbray53 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am Thanks to my fading memory I was able to enjoy this just as much the second time around.
lol I had to look back at my notes for a nudge, despite saying it was a week 2 at the time. :lol: :lol:

I did have the right idea this time too, just didn't take it the last little way down the path. Fun stuff, thanks @DrTom
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Berto wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:22 pm Cat has escaped the bag.
(Unfortunately the dog has got himself a cone of shame…)
cat cone3.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ajk wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:16 am
lbray53 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am Thanks to my fading memory I was able to enjoy this just as much the second time around.
lol I had to look back at my notes for a nudge, despite saying it was a week 2 at the time. :lol: :lol:

I did have the right idea this time too, just didn't take it the last little way down the path. Fun stuff, thanks @DrTom
Lucky you, I never remember where my notes are! Thanks for the will to do something for Say Nothing.

Tom
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Guess I must have jinxed it!

38 hoover 
39 markhr
40 Mwoychick 
41 andeux

Only 4 more today - I guess I had better give the WSJCC a look, it might be the reason (I want there to be a reason other than, MEOW, meh!). But hey, people have busy lives and actually do not spend them trying to create/solve metas like some of us slackers...
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Cat's out...enjoyed it...thanks DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Two more souls have decided to "Say Nothing" to the poor bagged cat.

42 CPJohnson
43 Qmark

Thanks to these dedicated folks there are teo more felines roaming free!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FRIDAY NUDGES:

Well for once the "Title" isn't everything. BUT the nudge clue 67A sure is!

Did you notice that the long answers (presumably the themers) are all exactly 10 characters long?

There are 4 of these "themers"

The meta answer is 8 letters
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Got it late but without the nudges. I didn't see it at first, but when I came back to it after a couple of days, it was suddenly obvious.
Jay
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I feel like my name should be Noah, I keep taking people on by twos:

44 potemkinish
45 Bird Lives

Well, at least they are not bringing their bagged cats with them.
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

Yay! Another bagless cat.
Didn't have time to do this one before the nudges came out, but only used the first one to confirm I was chasing the right red dot on the floor.
Bespoke nudges available upon request (if I'm on shore).
Let me know how small or large a hint you want, or hit me with a specific question(s).
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

and another one bites the dust....

46 ELSavage
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The answer is 8 letters long, there are 4 2 x 5 letter word answers, do what 67A tells you to
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, final count of 46. It seemed to play pretty easy for most but some did not note the give away clue in 67A. WIthout that the solve was MUCH harder.

At any rate, here is the way I intended you all to reach meta Nirvana:
Say Nothing Graphic Reveal.jpg
Tomorrow's MEOW should be (and I am so often wrong I almost hate to say) a CALICO at most. Hopefully I'll see a lot of you give it a try. Until then....