"Box Of Tricks" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

omnilynx
Bird Lives
DIS
Jaclyn
SJMcK
frostyjhammer

That brings us to 50... and nudges!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. In addition to the puzzle title the central entry and clue also contains a meta hint: "Environment around what is in focus, and a vague hint for solving the meta if the title wasn't helpful enough" = CONTEXT

2. The grid is also a pangram. That said, you might still want to check the letter distribution (which you can do with https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/).

3. You're looking for a BOX that holds the answer. Or maybe five boxes.

4. A suitable BOX that could hold a letter is a 2 by 2 area of the grid.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

Late start due to travels, but quick and nudgeless solve once I got around to it. Fun one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
G1ng3rBr43d

Post by G1ng3rBr43d »

Fuzhou Four checking in. Completed it, mate.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

G1ng3rBr43d wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:38 am Fuzhou Four checking in. Completed it, mate.
OK, I'll bite: where did you complete it? Because you didn't do it on Crosshare and you didn't message me directly.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

Emily
ajk
CPJohnson
Sharkicicles
Dave C
G1ng3rBr43d
Cindy Heisler

That's 57. Answer reveal tomorrow morning, Australia time.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:01 am Solver update:

Emily
ajk
CPJohnson
Sharkicicles
Dave C
G1ng3rBr43d
Cindy Heisler

That's 57. Answer reveal tomorrow morning, Australia time.
In under the wire, I hope! Fun!!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Late to the game but moat is crossed! Fun meta!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update:

Tane
Mikey G
Ergcat
ElSavage (sneaking in under the wire!)

That's a total of 61! Answer soon...
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun May 26, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Box Of Tricks":

Box Of Tricks (solution).png

I always enjoy it when I can get the meta mechanism into the meta hint! :D
ELSavage

Post by ELSavage »

Moat crossed!
Didn't get to the puzzle in time for official recognition, but good practice anyway...
Bespoke nudges available upon request (if I'm on shore).
Let me know how small or large a hint you want, or hit me with a specific question(s).