"Left Up In The Air" May 24, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Just got back from a quick trip to PA and finally got a chance to work on this one. It was another "quick trip" (and actually kinda familiar...) :D

Count me "Ashore", @Bob cruise director!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 16 on the ship and 162 on the shore

Good luck winning the mug and have a safe Memorial Day
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

Solved on Thursday, but submitting now in the hopes a last minute email ups may chances of winning.
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore! Under the wire and no nudges. Just a lot of looking! Phew
woozy

Post by woozy »

Yeep! I forgot to submit and ... *oh* phew. 6 minutes to spare.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

20240524-WSJCC-LEFTUPINTHEAIR-REVEAL.png
Heidi
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

I had a few four-letter words in mind but I restrained myself.
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Colin

Post by Colin »

I was on the wrong cruise ship and (literally) on the wrong shore. But it was gorgeous here in Cornwall, England.
Well done solvers!
IMG_9068.jpeg
One world. One planet. One future.
RST

Post by RST »

As an alternative, I submitted "drib." As the inverse of "bird," this answer matches the left to right form of the theme answers which "tern" fails to do. As a synonym of driblet or drop, I suggest that it is a better fit for "what's left up in the air" than "tern."
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

RST wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:33 am As a synonym of driblet or drop, I suggest that it is a better fit for "what's left up in the air" than "tern."
Certainly creative. The tern is another bird so from a fitness standpoint the answer is solid. I saw Hawk pretty quickly, but I wished - like probably others did as well - that the 1st step would have included a left AND up mechanism.
Last edited by Flying_Burrito on Mon May 27, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
flepper

Post by flepper »

I thought this puzzle was a nice tip of the hat to the muggles in that I knew I was ashore when I saw the tern!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Loved this puzzle. Anyone else think this answer was kind of punny? Can’t wait to read @mikeB’s take on solving this one!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

RST wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:33 am As an alternative, I submitted "drib." As the inverse of "bird," this answer matches the left to right form of the theme answers which "tern" fails to do. As a synonym of driblet or drop, I suggest that it is a better fit for "what's left up in the air" than "tern."
TERN is a homophone of TURN. All birds noted in the Theme Entries had their letters TURNed 180°.

Patrick Berry doesn't create these details by chance.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Brings to mind the song:

To everything, TERN, TERN, TERN,
There is a season, TERN, TERN, TERN,
And a time to every purpose under Heaven.

Of course, it was a song by the Byrds!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:11 am Patrick Berry doesn't create these details by chance.
Speaking of... what's up with FASTENUP, INHERENT, and AIREDALES? This was so distracting. The only purpose they seem to serve is to make you realize NOSTALGIC is an outlier, and then the clue for NOSTALGIC tells you what to do. But... why? This actually seems pretty haphazard and inelegant to me, two words I don't usually associate with Patrick Berry puzzles. There is just no way those three entries are an accident, but there also doesn't seem to be a good reason for them to be there. There are a million other routes he could've gone to get people to think along the "look backwards" line. And also, what's up with the clue for INN?? [Airbnb alternative] - why??? I don't understand why he included all these distractions. They don't seem to add anything to the puzzle, which once you see the actual mechanism is very straightforward. What am I missing about this?
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

damefox wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:21 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:11 am Patrick Berry doesn't create these details by chance.
There are a million other routes he could've gone to get people to think along the "look backwards" line.
I mean, the title did say "left" which indicates 'go backwards'. There were plenty of 'INs' embedded in the answers, but that's the case with many other grids. I thought it was the typical elegant PB.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Speaking of... what's up with FASTENUP, INHERENT, and AIREDALES? This was so distracting. The only purpose they seem to serve is to make you realize NOSTALGIC is an outlier, and then the clue for NOSTALGIC tells you what to do. But... why? This actually seems pretty haphazard and inelegant to me, two words I don't usually associate with Patrick Berry puzzles. There is just no way those three entries are an accident, but there also doesn't seem to be a good reason for them to be there. There are a million other routes he could've gone to get people to think along the "look backwards" line. And also, what's up with the clue for INN?? [Airbnb alternative] - why??? I don't understand why he included all these distractions. They don't seem to add anything to the puzzle, which once you see the actual mechanism is very straightforward. What am I missing about this?
Maybe the key is that Pat Berry's puzzles of all stripes are simple, at heart. Simple And Difficult, sometimes, but straightforward.

I'm stuck tugging similar mind-bending, frustrating spaghetti trails on MGWCC #834. Unfortunately, they're all well-past al dente & snap when tested.
Zobo3737

Post by Zobo3737 »

This is when being simple-minded helps. Four letters in the Meta, 4 horizontal themers. Go there first. I never gave any of those distractions a thought. I probably should have, esp
Airedales, but once I saw crow…
Last edited by Zobo3737 on Mon May 27, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Here's my not-very-long rabbit hole:

The title is "Left Up IN the Air." So perhaps "IN" is important.

There are four grid entries with "IN" as part of the entry: 44A (sIN), 47D (reINed), 63D (INn) and 5D (tIN). The letters adjacent to the IN in each case (in the case of reINed, on both sides of the IN) spell "SENT." Something that's been SENT, but not yet received, is "Up In the Air."

Of course, the letters forming SENT aren't in any order that I can discern, but sometimes an anagram is present. So I continued on to find the correct answer.