"Build Your Brand" - May 8, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Margaritas didn't alter my mind enough to catch on to the meta yet. Maybe one or two more will do the trick. . .
By the way, I'm a newbie - - what is MGWCC?
TPS

Post by TPS »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:42 pm Margaritas didn't alter my mind enough to catch on to the meta yet. Maybe one or two more will do the trick. . .
By the way, I'm a newbie - - what is MGWCC?
Matt Gaffney’s Weekly Crossword Contest. The creator of this week’s puzzle has been doing this well for a while and has created a number of puzzle books and also has a website in which he hosts a weekly contest. However, I believe there is a small monthly fee to enter FYI.

Also, since you are a newbie - he is a super nice guy and answers the crossword contest email and when I was just starting off he sent me a bunch of his old meta puzzles just so I could see some of the techniques he has used. He bet me a beer that I would get them all - he owes me a beer.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

LOL. Thx, sounds fun, will check into it. Looks like Petra?
TPS

Post by TPS »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 pm LOL. Thx, sounds fun, will check into it. Looks like Petra?
It is - my picture is sorta meta of it’s own.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

Carla wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:55 pm LAS but since it is a beautiful, 81F day in the Pacific Northwest, I feel like a winner! Happy Mother’s Day!
Was a beautiful day in nearby Coeur d'Alene, ID, as well! Cheers!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I am on the shore! That was a tough one but brilliant!
BTW, I got the nicest reply from Mike Miller in response to my letter to the editor a few weeks ago. He is so gracious!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

It was a tough slog this week, but I've made it to shore with a little help.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

To those on the beach - I have much respect. Chased a few rabbits down holes the last two days and am still stuck. A poke in the right direction would be appreciated so my first day mother’s
/ day isn’t spent wondering how the sand on the beach is.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Still on LAS cruise.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Wishing I had started this one sooner. No land in sight.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:28 am Wishing I had started this one sooner. No land in sight.
EUREKA! Proudly on shore.
Since it was Cinco de Mayo this week, I think I'll have a margarita. (I can change my beverage choices week to week, right?)
This might be the most satisfying swim I've had thus far; not that I've had a long illustrious career at it. Usually when I've been at the meta for this long, I'm doomed to never solve it.

Sunny weather is here again, despite the fact that it's currently raining in Spain. (One might even say I live on a plain.)
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Still on the ship with Isaac (even with the help of my son and daughter). Not encouraged by posts that the meta is difficult.

BTW, another solver who actually read the contest terms and conditions on the WSJ web site told me the fine print states that The Mug, which we all crave, is deemed to have a retail value of $3.99, and WSJ reserves the right to substitute any prize with an equivalent value! What? All this time I've been striving for what might end up being a bag of potato chips? :shock:
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Count me as on on the ship. Going to stay with Isaac this week.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joepickett wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 pm Needed a nudge to solve so count me as on the ship.
I've been trying to improve on cryptics for three years and mind has still not warped appropriately. I think the same goes for the metas for these puzzles.
Joe
I count anyone who has made it to shore by any means - nudge, shove, pick up and carry doesn't matter.

That is not the same as those who send the answer into the WSJ which is a personal decision.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I really thought inspiration had hit right before I dropped off to sleep last night. Alas, this morning I realize that path was just another dead-end rabbit hole, one of many that I have tunneled through this weekend. Wish I could be content to remain LAS, but I know that this meta is going to be calling to me right up to the deadline. Oh well, my kids can't visit - what better way to spend a beautiful Mother's Day?! I hope all you wonderful Muggle Moms have a lovely day!
Sara
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

All I've got is apparent brain death.
I am a man of few...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

eagle1279 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 am Still on the ship with Isaac (even with the help of my son and daughter). Not encouraged by posts that the meta is difficult.

BTW, another solver who actually read the contest terms and conditions on the WSJ web site told me the fine print states that The Mug, which we all crave, is deemed to have a retail value of $3.99, and WSJ reserves the right to substitute any prize with an equivalent value! What? All this time I've been striving for what might end up being a bag of potato chips? :shock:
I can see it all now...

4 Across: Prize in lieu of mug, 5 letters.

Noooooooo! :(
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Have the answer, but count me on the ship. A very creative but challenging one. Off to celebrate Mother's Day!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Woke up this morning on the barroom floor, with Isaac shaking me. "I asked Isaac what happened - - "Someone musta slipped you a Gaffney dude!"
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'm ashore. Tired, bedraggled and waterlogged - but ashore all the same.
I think a cold cup of bottled water will do.