"Think Outside the Box" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I've finally stormed the castle. Silly silly me. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Fun puzzle! The castle is mine! 👸🏼
Konnie
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Meg wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am Well, I’ve stormed the castle successfully, but I feel like I missed something….
Ditto.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I have crossed the moat and stormed the castle.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it! Thanks, Ben. Fun puzzle.
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more names to add to the list of successful solvers:

Mwoychick
woozy
Dplass
Grant Law
SewYoung
ImOnToo
CPJohnson
ChrisKochmanski
Holmes
Joshua Frear
OneCleverGorilla
Gutman
Jason S
kieranjboyd
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tornado: :european_castle: Fun puzzle - thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Confirmed on Crosshare. Thank you, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the overnight (for me!) solvers:

joe
Jack Sullivan
bice
cak
Al Sisti
19 second respawn times
KayW
Bbaack
Jeremy Smith

That's a grand running total of 47 solvers. Well done everyone!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here are the additional solvers as of Saturday morning here in Australia:

LB800
Becky J
rickybillingsgate
Golem
shalmanezer
markhr
V
frostyjhammer
hazmat
bronnied
lshultz82
Quiche
DIS

Quite a lot of usernames that I am unfamiliar with, which is great: lots of people are getting into metas - the more the merrier!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges time!

1. The puzzle title should be a dead giveaway, especially in combination with some of the clues.

2. The central entry (6 down) references a drawing puzzle. Google it and see if you can solve it. If you can, you will know what to do to solve the meta. However, I referenced two puzzles in my first post: 6 down and the meta. You don't have to incorporate the solution to 6 down in order to solve the meta.

3. In order to fit the right answer to the clues with two parts (separated by "and definitely not") you will need to go outside the grid.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Just did this one tonight (it’s been a busy week). Thanks — good fun!
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

And here are the last solvers before the answer reveal...

BarbaraK
ellequin
HeadinHome
MaineMarge

That brings the total to 64, which might be the most solvers I've ever had for a MOAT!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Which brings us to this week's answer...

Think Outside The Box (solution).png

Did you solve the Nine Dots Problem as well? This website has a good explanation if you're interested: https://www.artofplay.com/blogs/article ... ot-problem. I know from posted comments that some people tried to incorporate the solution to the Nine Dots problem into the meta mechanism. That would have been awesome, but fiendishly difficult to construct! Who do you think I am? Matt Gaffney?!? :D

By the way, MOAT puzzles will not be stopping - no seasonal breaks for me! Keep your eye on this forum all winter long for more metas. Just to whet your appetite, we've got through most of my early puzzles now and we're getting into some really good ones...

(And for those of you subscribed to MGWCC, there'll be a nice surprise coming your way in January, too!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

I really was expecting we would have to connect letters in the method of the nine dot problem and I was taking a deep breath getting ready to try to calculate where the lines intersect. It was a relief to see the letters simply spelled out the answer. On the other hand a puzzle where you did have to connect via nine dots would be pretty cool.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".