"Deal Breaker" - March 18, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Finally on shore. I did not find that one easy.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

RicoTheSwede wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 pm Back on the horse [anagram of "shore"], after last week left me feeling like a horse's ______
rare?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tina wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:16 am Finally on shore. I did not find that one easy.
I have to agree, and I apologize for posting how easy it was. I HATE it when I see that and I am struggling with something that the rest of the world finds as easy as "Complete this series A, B, C, _"

It was quick for me because the very first thing I tried worked. It could have been any number of different things but I chose wisely (or more probably luckily).

Anyway, glad you will be joining us on shore.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:24 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:20 pm That's what I get for letting dinner get in the way - page 4! This one came right to me, probably 25 minutes start to fill to solve. So, if anyone is struggling take heart from that. I appear to be one of the canaries in the mine, if I can do it, you can do it.
No one’s as hard on himself as you are, so you’ve trained us to think of you as a nudge-needer. I suspect the truth is you’re as sharp as any of us! (Apologies if I hurt your feelings in the Zoom Room Dr. Tom!)

ANYhoo, you got there before I did this time! (Though i must say I was late to take it up… long day of work.)

Beer me!
Please, not to worry, my skin is as thick as my skull. I took absolutely no offense and, as a matter of fact, was glad if I could be a beacon. Suffering succotash you can call me Tweety anytime!

I got there fast because I managed to pick the right door (normally I get the one that leads directly to Dante's lowest level). I'd spend a moment feeling cocky (3 for 4 this week) but as a certain Ms. Leigh once said, "tomorrow is another day" and unfortunately it is the third one of those days this month.
Tweety.jpg
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore!
Late start due to Purim.
I had enough to drink yesterday. I'll have a cup of coffee.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Easy trip to shore this week.

Posting from Schmeel's neck of the woods this week! On vacation in Israel where we are visiting our daughter who has been studying in Jerusalem since August, and who I haven't seen since then. Yesterday we arrived in the Southern town of Eilat and we are heading to the real shore (beach) soon.

594626C4-F0F7-4B79-8F9D-77EFB88AF2FC.jpeg
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Ashore! Good luck, Muggles. Very clever meta.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

ASHORE.
Love those solves in the night.

I don’t got one of those 63A Millennium Falcons, but I do got this beauty
D0194A43-7ADD-4A25-A778-0CAE25CD70BD.jpeg
Itoh hybrid peony “Millennium”.
drbockel2

Post by drbockel2 »

Ah ha! On shore!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore. My husband actually helped me on this one. Very rare but fun.
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

I'm resting on the beach.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Ashore. Good one.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My March Madness strategy of going by mascots is working well (yeah, Peacocks and Spiders). My meta strategy is going nowhere because..
Screenshot_20220317-205627_Google.jpg
FeelingSlow

Post by FeelingSlow »

Any interest in a Zoom Room session today ? 10:30CST maybe?

Or afternoon open to time suggestions.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Still staring. I guess too much time spent with Isaac last night with my Jameson.
Kevin
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

FeelingSlow wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:12 am Any interest in a Zoom Room session today ? 10:30CST maybe?

Or afternoon open to time suggestions.
How about our usual 4:30 eastern time?
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

higgysue wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:41 am On shore. My husband actually helped me on this one. Very rare but fun.
Rare that he was able to help you? :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Keeping Isaac company today. I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but can't really see anything to get even a toehold into the meta. Perhaps post-enlightenment will strike as I ponder it some more over my morning coffee. What's that, Isaac? Why yes, I do believe a shot of Bailey's into the mug would be lovely.
Matthew
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

sanmilton wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:22 pm On shore after having to resubscribe!

Here's a Pool Boy update:

Our James likes to make the drinks fizzy,
And bubbles can make the guests dizzy,
Or is it the fella
Who adds an umbrella
To each drink who serves up the tizzy?

Our one guest, libidinous Lizzy,
Just muttered, “He isn’t gay, is he?”
Well, one thing’s for certain:
His love life ain’t hurtin’!
And he’s at his best when he’s busy!
Wow. You completed the grid, solved the meta and wrote a poem in 20 minutes. Simply amazing. I'm still scratching my head 20 hours later, after last call with Isaac last night and coffee getting cold this morning.
Don & Cynthia

Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm finally on shore.

I saw the clues, but it took me a little while to figure out exactly what to do.