"Body Language" - March 25, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

On shore! Enjoyed this one. Didn’t think I’d have time to work on it this weekend but thankfully I found some time!
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore! That was a good one!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Checking in; Isaac was wondering where everybody went. I was apparently volunteered to sit with him but he’s got a well-stocked bar so I’ll manage. . . I will report back when I’m cleared to head for shore.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

That was quick! Relief has arrived, along with post enlightenment!
I’ve made my way to shore.
It’s not too late for an icy Manhattan!
vandono

Post by vandono »

I'm still hanging with our friend Isaac. I see what I assume is the first part but haven't figured out the next step. I have to say, thought, that there are some really interesting things in this grid. I don't know if they're part of the meta, red herrings, rabbit warrens or just coincidence - but they are just so odd.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Oh, snap - it all came together. Ashore!
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Tom Wilson wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:40 pm My good Master Sisti: As much joy as you've brought this Mass o' Muggles - as solver, constructor, musician, philosopher, Father Confessor and mischief-maker - you will never NOT deserve a Guinness.
And who among us has not done the same, more than once I can recall.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

HunterX wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:45 pm Ashore.

Wow. I just looked at the site here, and there are 12 pages already! Hope that means the beach is crowded with happy solvers.

Nice puzzle. Fun metanism.

Top off my Riesling, please. Family with a 5 year old and a 2 year old visiting our Pocono getaway this weekend. Wine may be the only getaway...
Have had 2 and 5 year old with parents since November while they prepare to sell a house, buy a house, renovate a house. We’ve had a total of 10 respiratory infections not counting at least 7 COVID cases (2 year old had twice) among us since arrival. Was worried we would create our own variant they would go international. Right now we have two respiratory and one finger infection. They aren’t up yet so not sure what awaits us today but they sure are cute. Enjoy your peaceful Sunday night.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

PS. We drink every night.
TheDeej

Post by TheDeej »

My usual late start this morning. After a bit of <body part> scratching I saw something that just couldn't be a coincidence. Stumbled down that path for a bit and the muddy waters started to clear up. Very enjoyable. Thank you Mr Gaffney!

Ashore! Barkeep! I'm not feeling very picky at this time. Anything frothy and cold will do.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:58 am PS. We drink every night.

CHEERS!

😆😆😆😆

Bless your family. You are true heroes!
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Finally ashore on this beautiful Sunday morning. It was fun. Happy rest of the weekend!
Kathie
JoeFlanders

Post by JoeFlanders »

Got it. Clever one.
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:49 pm
Alas, I am most assuredly not on shore, despite my snarky claim. Once again, I committed the dreaded "Grilled Ham and Cheese" offense. A "Grilled Ham and Cheese, or "Ghac" (which is exactly the sound made by one who commits such a faux pas) is when you're in such a hurry to show how smart you are that you make a stupid/very stupid mistake and send in a super-quick but super-wrong answer; resulting in public shame and a complete erasure and destruction of a smug smirk. (a "ghac" differs slightly from being "pageanted," because the latter phenomenon stems from a group of solvers being fooled by a constructor; whereas a "ghac" falls to one fool alone). Having done so means a) I should be found guilty on one count of POE, b) all but 9 solvers get to move one step closer to the top, c) I should spend the rest of the week doing naked push-ups on a coral reef (you'll want to avoid picturing that), and d) I don't deserve the Guinness I requested. Still gonna drink it; I just don't deserve it.
That was easy to do this time. I almost did.
Kathie
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

ASHORE!
It helps to have grid completed correctly. :oops:
femullen

Post by femullen »

"Not me," puffed the cheek, "No, not I," sniffed the nose,
"Not us," snapped the fingers, "Nor we," tapped the toes,
"Not me!" stamped the left foot, "Nor I," squeaked a knee.
Said both of the eyeballs, "Well, don't look at me!"

The parts of the body in turn each denied
That they were the answer, but one of them lied.
It fell to the anus to figure it out.
He flexed, then he issued a gaseous shout,

"I know who it is! But the rules make me wait
Till Sunday at midnight. By then it's too late
To blurt the solution, the meta to spoil
(And on brief reflection, these britches to soil).

"I'll sit on the answer and whistle a song
Till all in good time I can pass it along.
But this I can tell you: I promise you'll see
The lying big stinker is upwind of me."

(Canucks ashore.)
Last edited by femullen on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:56 am
HunterX wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:45 pm
Top off my Riesling, please. Family with a 5 year old and a 2 year old visiting our Pocono getaway this weekend. Wine may be the only getaway...
Have had 2 and 5 year old with parents since November while they prepare to sell a house, buy a house, renovate a house. We’ve had a total of 10 respiratory infections not counting at least 7 COVID cases (2 year old had twice) among us since arrival. Was worried we would create our own variant they would go international. Right now we have two respiratory and one finger infection. They aren’t up yet so not sure what awaits us today but they sure are cute. Enjoy your peaceful Sunday night.
Yikes! Hope the warm weather brings more ventilation and fewer infections! The mother of our nephews has been uber paranoid about COVID since the start. So the 8 of us were a "pod" from early-mid 2020 onwards. Zero cases of COVID so far. (Though the poor kids have been stuck at their home, with stays at their grandparents' or ours, until recently.)
khanthedane

Post by khanthedane »

Finally on board after being at sea for weeks; enjoying a coffee on this cold, damp Seattle day.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:49 pm Alas, I am most assuredly not on shore, despite my snarky claim. Once again, I committed the dreaded "Grilled Ham and Cheese" offense. A "Grilled Ham and Cheese, or "Ghac" (which is exactly the sound made by one who commits such a faux pas) is when you're in such a hurry to show how smart you are that you make a stupid/very stupid mistake and send in a super-quick but super-wrong answer; resulting in public shame and a complete erasure and destruction of a smug smirk. (a "ghac" differs slightly from being "pageanted," because the latter phenomenon stems from a group of solvers being fooled by a constructor; whereas a "ghac" falls to one fool alone). Having done so means a) I should be found guilty on one count of POE, b) all but 9 solvers get to move one step closer to the top, c) I should spend the rest of the week doing naked push-ups on a coral reef (you'll want to avoid picturing that), and d) I don't deserve the Guinness I requested. Still gonna drink it; I just don't deserve it.
My Jesuit friends believe in the importance of Humility and they actually pray for it. "Let me realize that when I am humble I am most human, most truthful, and most worthy of Your serious consideration."

There ya go, @Al Sisti , don't you feel better now?! (interrobang) :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

On shore!