"Dude, Where's My Car?" - April 22, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I’m betting this week sets some kind of record for incorrect Hail Mary submissions.
Jack Sullivan
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The answer is EDSEL

“Where’s My Car?” indicates that the key lies in the cars’ locations in the grid. Highlight those locations, and the solution becomes obvious.
Car puzzle 500.jpg
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20220422 WSJCC Dude Wheres My Car REVEAL.png
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Never in a million years would I have gotten this one! Congratulations to all who did!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I must be ignorant, but Daytona is not a car being manufactured now? Not sure of the prompt.
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

WSJ  4-22 650.jpg
Last edited by Bird Lives on Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
shalmanezer

Post by shalmanezer »

And for those who thought this was inelegant, note also that Daytona is both a car and a place, fitting the 7 cars in the grid.

And that Gaffney may be trolling us all, because the answer to Where's My Car? is basically, On the Beach.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:09 am I must be ignorant, but Daytona is not a car being manufactured now? Not sure of the prompt.
"The answer to this week's contest crossword is a noted American car of the past or present."
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
woozy

Post by woozy »

Shenanigans! I call shenanigans!

H+NM + Y = HYNM and not NM. Transposing or anagramming the postal abbreviation is not withing the realm of reasonable manipulation for such few number of letters.

(Seriously. I stumbled over the multitude postal abbreviations for CA and CO [didn't know what to do with them but I saw them] and kept stumbling over MN and thinking it was NM backwards which is to general to rise any thing above randomness. )

With those few letters and imprecise mechanics make this mechanism little more than random noise.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Puzzle mom

Post by Puzzle mom »

I got it in the end, but I really didn’t like that the abbreviations for New Mexico and Colorado were reversed. I was sure my answer was wrong because of this. But I had nothing else.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

KAS 5
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

KAS 7
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
woozy

Post by woozy »

So.... now MODEL T answers?.... cause the grid had two T's in it?

That's what I submitted! (Going for my self created contest on the dumbest but justifiable answer....)
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Is it a coincidence that Daytona is a combination of 1 down (toad) and 41 down (nay), or is that Matt adding some additional cleverness? That was how Daytona got in my mind as a possible answer, but I did not find the path.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

woozy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:17 am Shenanigans! I call shenanigans!

H+NM + Y = HYNM and not NM. Transposing or anagramming the postal abbreviation is not withing the realm of reasonable manipulation for such few number of letters.

(Seriously. I stumbled over the multitude postal abbreviations for CA and CO [didn't know what to do with them but I saw them] and kept stumbling over MN and thinking it was NM backwards which is to general to rise any thing above randomness. )

With those few letters and imprecise mechanics make this mechanism little more than random noise.
I call BS. This was a precise & elegant effort by Matt.

The 100% solid rule for the unique-to-each-car model/city four-letter grid entries:
  • One of the letters is the first initial of the car make(manufacturer/division/company/brand).
  • Two other letters are the two-letter USPS state code of the corresponding city.
  • The extra letter is one letter of the meta-answer.
Very minor point on Dodge durango CO being able to use two four-letter entries (18 DOCK & 23 CODA), but Kia telluride CO forced the correction.

There's no reason these letters must appear within the four-letter grid entries in the order solvers prefer.

The 100% solid rule for the arrangement of the meta-answer letters in the grid is by CLUE NUMBER, only, without regard to Across or Down
  • 18 DOCK - D
  • 23 CODA - A
  • 40 HYMN - Y
  • 44 KATZ - T
  • 54 COCA - O
  • 56 WANT - N
  • 65 HAZA - A
There's no reason the letters must appear within the grid as solvers prefer.

Do these rules vary from other puzzles & make it more difficult to solve? Possibly. However, all puzzles' rules vary and there's nothing wrong with this contest crossword as constructed. In no way is this inelegant.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Aaargh! 😫 So close yet so far! I had the postal codes and I had the car makes …. But I never considered them together!! Even suspected the grid words “coca”, “coda”, “Haza”, “want” etc were involved because of postal codes but just couldn’t see how! And didn’t see a “NM” in a word so was thrown off by chasing that rabbit!
Bravo for those who figured it out!
Last edited by Ergcat on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

HyMN for New Mexico? MN is the code for Minnesota. Reversing the letters for one state code but not for any of the others? Doesn't seem fair.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Wow, memories. The first new car I ever bought was a 1988 Daytona Turbo. That car was FAST. Off the line there was about a half a second turbo lag, and then it snapped your head back. The transvers mounted engine caused it to pull like crazy through 3 gears. So much fun to drive. Then it tried to kill me.

I was on Rt. 3 coming into Boston, doing about 70 in the left lane, when the hood released, wrapping itself over the windshield and the roof. I could not see forward. Time stopped. I got off the gas, and somehow made it across 3 lanes and stopped in the breakdown. I got out of the car and went to the rear, when my knees buckled, I wound up on all fours, blowing out the contents of my stomach. As scared as I've ever been, but it hit me, I guess, after a turbo lag :)

Turns out that the air pressure caused by the recessed headlights at high speed caused the metal securing the hood to literally rip apart. When I got it back the sheet metal had been replaced with steel. Later models had a cover over the headlights.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:20 am I call BS. This was a precise & elegant effort by Matt.

The 100% solid rule for the unique-to-each-car model/city four-letter grid entries:
  • One of the letters is the first initial of the car make(manufacturer/division/company/brand).
  • Two other letters are the two-letter USPS state code of the corresponding city.
  • The extra letter is one letter of the meta-answer.
Very minor point on Dodge durango CO being able to use two four-letter entries (18 DOCK & 23 CODA), but Kia telluride CO forced the correction.

There's no reason these letters must appear within the four-letter grid entries in the order solvers prefer.

The 100% solid rule for the arrangement of the meta-answer letters in the grid is by CLUE NUMBER, only, without regard to Across or Down
  • 18 DOCK - D
  • 23 CODA - A
  • 40 HYMN - Y
  • 44 KATZ - T
  • 54 COCA - O
  • 56 WANT - N
  • 65 HAZA - A
There's no reason the letters must appear within the grid as solvers prefer.

Do these rules vary from other puzzles & make it more difficult to solve? Possibly. However, all puzzles' rules vary and there's nothing wrong with this contest crossword as constructed. In no way is this inelegant.
Attachments
amen-anchorman.gif
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/