"Think Of A Number" - June 10, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the boat with Isaac.

He's chilling the glasses for our traditional Friday night Bombay Sapphire martinis, to be poured as soon as the Missus gets home.

Cheers all.
Rufus T. Firefly
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DennyB wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm I’ve always wondered it there were any mug winners outside of the U.S.A.? You would think there are reader/subscribers in other countries?
Just curious!
In the contest rules https://www.wsj.com/articles/crossword- ... 1600211677 rule #2 says that you must be a legal resident of the United States.

However, a while back, there was a winner listed in Canada. No idea if that was someone who was a legal US resident who just happened to be temporarily in Canada, or if that rule is more a don't ask don't tell thing.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
pookie

Post by pookie »

I don't always solve the WSJ Weekly Crossword Contest, but when I do, I prefer Mike Shenk's.

On shore, Bob.
Barney

Post by Barney »

My solving partner fed me the answer before I had availability to print the puzzle out. So I will not submit.

However, I will have a little nit to pick on Monday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:19 pm I've mentioned before that I'm a tour guide at my ancestral home, Primitive Hall. Imagine my delight at getting a text today from my tour group saying that they were en route and their GPS said they'd be there much earlier than expected: at exactly 4 p.m. on the dot.
But the tour went well and I'm on shore!
So you're a Pennock? No wonder you have such a steely approach to solving! :lol:

So was 66A a Wendy shoutout? I do believe you said you were a Quaker.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

A fun Friday Zoom again today. We arrived at our hotel just in time to participate. As you might expect, not much help was needed this week. So, the one muggle who hadn't solved got the full attention of the other 6 of us!! Great to see everyone!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:19 pm I've mentioned before that I'm a tour guide at my ancestral home, Primitive Hall. Imagine my delight at getting a text today from my tour group saying that they were en route and their GPS said they'd be there much earlier than expected: at exactly 4 p.m. on the dot.
But the tour went well and I'm on shore!
So you're a Pennock? No wonder you have such a steely approach to solving! :lol:

So was 66A a Wendy shoutout? I do believe you said you were a Quaker.
Ha! Yes, we are very proud to have Rebecca Pennock Lukens as part of our family tree. The use of "thee" and "thou" is almost obsolete among Quakers, although at one Meeting near me (Marlborough Friends Meeting) they still dress plainly and use those quaint terms. I always have to do a quick translation in my head when chatting with them.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
livpolfan

Post by livpolfan »

Ashore with a full bar.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

ship4u wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm A fun Friday Zoom again today. We arrived at our hotel just in time to participate. As you might expect, not much help was needed this week. So, the one muggle who hadn't solved got the full attention of the other 6 of us!! Great to see everyone!
Dang it!! I forgot all about the Friday Zoom.
Cruciverbalisticexpi

Post by Cruciverbalisticexpi »

Ashore with a Fuller's ESB!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Thank the good Lord (and Mike Shenk) I am on shore after a hellish weekend last week. Now, I can relax and enjoy. Cheers to all.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore. 🏖
Konnie
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore. Fastest one in a long time.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On shore, for the first time in a while. Margarita, please.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

On shore. First time on a Friday in ages.
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

Ashore mateys!
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
VickiF

Post by VickiF »

Ashore! Now what to do fo the rest of the weekend?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm On shore. Fastest one in a long time.

Still married?

(asking for a friend)

/s

Enjoy the honeymoon....
Rufus T. Firefly
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:06 pm
DennyB wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:55 pm I’ve always wondered it there were any mug winners outside of the U.S.A.? You would think there are reader/subscribers in other countries?
Just curious!
In the contest rules https://www.wsj.com/articles/crossword- ... 1600211677 rule #2 says that you must be a legal resident of the United States.

However, a while back, there was a winner listed in Canada. No idea if that was someone who was a legal US resident who just happened to be temporarily in Canada, or if that rule is more a don't ask don't tell thing.
Thanks Barb!