"Use Your Head" January 12, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon muggles

A couple of things before we get to the meta. When this all started we had ship (unsolved) and shore (solved). However that did not take into account the many stages of in between or getting and submitting the wrong answer, wanting to go back to the ship or anything else including being on the back or swallowed by a whale. Rather than get into the Fifty Shades of Gray, if you say you are on the beach, I record you as on the beach. Otherwise I would go nuts trying to keep score.

And for some background we have this link under Welcome aboard/FAQ

viewtopic.php?t=34#p361

We seem to have another challenge from Mr. Gaffney as we have 11 on the ship and only 71 on the shore.

Good luck.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally, with a gentle nudge! Drink, any drink.
The other Wendy. :roll:
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore and glad to have finally made it! I thought this was kind of a tough one, but I solved it so it can't be that bad! Took a while to see all the pieces of the puzzle.
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Ashore! This was fun—and does not apply to this particular solver. Cheers!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Ashore after a significant shove, I needed way more than a nudge today! so clever!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Didn't use my head. Used a nudge. I do have a good rabbit hole to share on Monday.
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Found my way to shore. Drinking to lessen the pain of last week's lame performance.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is on shore! Whew! My head could use a beer!
Bmacdo

Post by Bmacdo »

Finally clicked. This is one of those that some will see immediately and others will agonize about all weekend. Fun solve. Just keep staring at it and ... use your head. I'll take a hot buttered rum on this dreary day.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Headed to Isaac's bar to find a stool.

Leaving on a trip in half an hour. So maybe I'll find time to look at this more on the plane. But time's limited and my head is full of trip details. So I don't know whether I'll be able to use it for the puzzle.

And there's MGWCC too....
ron

Post by ron »

Ashore, first time in several weeks. Actually got it this morning but forgot to post here. Fun one.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I did the grid yesterday. I am using my head, but to no avail. I would say an adjective that would not describe me is mug winner!

I hope everyone has a good weekend, mug or not. I still remember the first year MLK's birthday was a holiday. It was right before my wedding.
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore! Think a shot of Bailey's sounds good.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

🏖🥂
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore, but with a fairly helpful nudge, so I won't submit. You're welcome, mug seekers. Beer me.
Matthew
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

Solved. Greatly appreciating the final step of the meta
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Darn it, got some ideas here, but nothing is clicking to get me ashore... Tried to join the ZoomRoom, but unfortunately, the old work computer wasn't cooperating to let me in with any sort of reliability. I guess I'll keep trying to decipher with the route I'm going
If you see me on the beach, feel free to pm for a nudge. After all the help I’ve got, I am happy to send it forward when I can!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

🏝 On Shore 🏝
Thanks to a nudge from the Zoom Room! Thank you, fellow Muggles! Time for a 🍷
newbymar

Post by newbymar »

Muggle friends..
In the past, I would solve the puzzles each day, and on Fridays I would look at the contest clue and just wait for the next puzzle. I had no clue about how to solve to get the answer. I had no idea about metas, muggles, rabbit holes, etc.
While on a month long land/sea trip with brothers John and Bill (2 of my 5 brothers) in August, John had Bill and I try to solve the Friday puzzle with him. John tried to explain all about the metas, the clues, and tricks to solve. We did 4 puzzles while on that trip. When we got home, we have continued solving together, even though I live in NY, Bill in MD and John in GA. We have FaceTimed each Thursday or Friday to try to solve the puzzle since September. Last night, I got in bed and was called to action with a FaceTime visit from the brothers. We worked for almost an hour and we were ashore!!! I just confirmed with the Zoom meeting that we were correct. It has been great fun and I thank the Don and Wendy of the zoom meetings for their great support. They make this a lot of fun, not work! I look forward to each week's challenge. Now I just have to wait to win the mug! Mary (newbymar)
[Mary Milani Newby ;)
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Ashore, with a nudge from the Zoom Room. Thanks!