"Knowledge Base" February 16, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
krf

Post by krf »

When I saw how long it took for page 1 to fill up, I figured there was no hope, but it came.
If I could order a beverage of preference, it would be the beer my godfather used to let me taste -- Blatz, circa 1952
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved with Zoom assistance. Thanks, all!
Cynthia
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Thanks for a wonderful zoom today! It was great to see everyone! What a fantastic group this is! Have a great weekend!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Birdbrain

Post by Birdbrain »

Ashore after the zoom nudge. There is no way I would have gotten this one on my own!
Robin P
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Resting on the sand after battling the waves. I stumbled onto the mechanism early enough, but had to ask Mr. G. to help tow me in :(
Screenshot 2024-02-16 172627.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

When I saw @Bob cruise director's comment (#68) that this one "requires special knowledge," I thought: No problem. I have special knowledge.
You can guess the rest.
Jay
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Got it..but too much work!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Still at sea but on the scent. Love shenk even when tough.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

But only with lots of help. Won’t enter for the mug.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

Ashore, with a chuckle! I'll take a Pepsi after drinking more than my share in Las Vegas last weekend.
arecibo

Post by arecibo »

Reading the comments, I didn't think that I would defend this puzzle. But I will defend this puzzle. If you post in this group or work these puzzles weekly, you can solve this puzzle! Start like every week, with pattern recognition.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

b4alltime wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm On shore thanks to Zoomers. In hindsight, really happy I didn't put more effort into it. Looking forward to a tricky medical meta someday.
Regards to all,
Jim
@b4alltime don't encourage @DrTom as he will be more than happy to put out a medical meta that uses words like percutaneous
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BigPear wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:59 pm Turning fifty today, and finding myself Lost at sea, down one rabbit hoLe after another, and generaLLy cLueLess.
@BigPear Happy Birthday. We are celebrating my daughter's 50th tomorrow.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
pipster

Post by pipster »

Ashore. No nudges. Closed my eyes, took a swing, and managed to connect.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On the beach.
Had to leave the Zoom call way too early, but even so a huge help.
Thanks, all!
woozy

Post by woozy »

If it's what I strongly suspect it is.... 1) I don't really know what to do with it and 2) I'd have imagined a heck of a lot more people would have been utterly disgusted.

Can I bounce whether this idea is possible off someone.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Still on the ship, but I know what I need to work on.
Merry Potter

Post by Merry Potter »

Just made travel arrangements to 23A for spring break… looking for recommendations if anyone is familiar with the town! Thanks
If I don't win a mug, I can always make one... ;) but it won't have the same cachet.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

woozy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:05 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:43 pm
Acarl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:49 am

Beautiful! What is he?
https://www.birdsofhawaii.info/p/red-cr ... dinal.html

There are very few actual cardinals in Hawaii, but these are everywhere.

They are not native, but then again, none actually are. The original hot lava was not conducive to nest building. :lol:
Wasn't there some crazy woman a few generations ago who thought it'd be a good idea to import all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to Hawaii?

(You know... one of the downsides of living in the days of the internet is you can't casually make mention of these anecdotes you might have heard once upon a time without feeling obligated to look it up lest you be accused of lazily spreading false information without due diligence... Oh, well, here I go... Okay, maybe it was New York and not Hawaii but I think I first heard it in Hawaii.... but.... by luck your bird was almost the very first hit: https://www.kqed.org/quest/50085/invasi ... on-the-way)
The couple that brought starlings to America (who would keep them as pets? There are a *lot* of nicer birds if you want to cage them), should be posthumously be deported, excommunicated and kicked out of the elks club.
Rufus T. Firefly
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hey!!! That's just mean! Not a good puzzle at all!

Funny though. It was sort of the first thing I thought of but ruled out pretty early.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".