"Knowledge Base" February 16, 2024

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:03 pm
b4alltime wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm On shore thanks to Zoomers. In hindsight, really happy I didn't put more effort into it. Looking forward to a tricky medical meta someday.
Regards to all,
Jim
@b4alltime don't encourage @DrTom as he will be more than happy to put out a medical meta that uses words like percutaneous
I'm reminded of purulent and exsanguination. Neither of which you'd like to see on your medical chart.
Rufus T. Firefly
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I got a clue about what to do from the Zoom, but I had to leave quickly and I've been stuck on the first part of this all day. I was going to give up until I actually looked at something I kept glancing over. So now I'm ashore. But I don't think I would have got it without the Zoom crowd!

To be honest, I just want a frozen Coke and I'll chase that with a warm blanket.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore after a push from the Zoom group to free my boat from the sandbar I'd run aground on.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

Got there thanks to an embarrassing amount of help from BarbaraK. So many connections that I utterly failed to make. I are dumm.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Isaac! HEY!… ISAAC!
Yeah! Me! Here!… In the doorway!
Two IPAs please!
One world. One planet. One future.
rjy

Post by rjy »

I think I know what to do, it’s just not working yet… but Isaac is, so we’re good here.
Ray
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Definitely ashore. Started the grid at 3:00, finished it just as the Zoom call started. Already had the idea, this just confirmed. To those who were there when I talked about other types of puzzles I had done - nordinho, Clever Waste of Time, etc - that used this method for cluing. This is part of a spreadsheet from two different puzzles, working to advance to the next level, from way back when.
Attachments
spreadsheet.PNG
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

I made this much more complicated than necessary and was digging away, halfway to China, before noticing something else that brought it all together. Admittedly, it is in my wheelhouse, but I loved this puzzle and will defend it with a limerick if need be!
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

otlaolap wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm Outstanding, Mr Shenk! On Shore!
That is what I said earlier, and I think this is a puzzle of classic elegance and worth celebrating as a treasure. When I showed this to my wife and son, rather than eyerolls and yawns I got from my wife a smile and from my son "that's a good one". The wit and perserverence to construct something like this is extraordinary, and I am grateful that the result has been presented to us here.
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

I would not have gotten it without help from yesterday’s Zoom. This will be outside of many people’s wheelhouse.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well it did not happen at 31,000 feet but after a good night sleep at home. I had the first part and knew what I needed to do but simply could not get there. I had a circuitous inspiration and with a little help from Mr G I was suddenly ashore! I too am one of this group but not embarrassed it took so long as I'm a different type of said group. This is way out of my lane.

Here is a summary of the skiing at Park City on Thursday

Stay well all
Attachments
IMG_9997.jpeg
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done. That’s it. Just grid done so far.
Was ready to fling my paper across the kitchen when I heard my favorite song, the one that goads me onward, fills me with hope in desperate times. A song of resilience, determination and ultimate success.

Yes, I heard the theme from “Rawhide!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

First a warm welcome to Renee, our newest muggle. always great to have more muggles

Mike definitely threw us a meta that required specific knowledge which has been received well and poorly. So far we have 18 on the ship and 88 on the beach.

Keeping Isaac company and in business are

girubato1
ladybird
pjc
Ergcat
Tom S
phofer
Renee
copperriver
Mike H
woozy
Bird Lives
mattythewsjpuzzler
BigPear
C=64
rjy
Katiedid
Colin
JeanneC

While on the shore or what they realized was a deserted island shore are

Mme
docison
MikeyG
clonefitz
schmidzy
oldjudge
Meg
Cindy
Joe R
Kay
ajk
darth
benchen71
Laura
boharr
Schmeel
AaronT
Barbara K
NebFaninCA
SHIWUTONG
Beth A
CptnCodon
Don and Cynthia
ky-mike
HeadinHome
Flying_Burrito
TeamDoubleTow
Rita and George
Sleepy
otlaolap
Berto
Bill
Cruise Director
Wendy
BrennerTJ
MajorDomoTom
Peter
Jeremy
Googly
Franky_T
Eric C
RDaleHall
DelanQ
markhr
chriscross
David Wi
CaptainVideo
Beleagured Castle
streroto
Kevin L
Jace54
minimuggle
Jean
Heidi
Scott M
fourletterword
Glyn
Chris
Al Laubenstein
newbymar and brothers
batfella
krf
b4alltime
Lyman
joe
Birdbrain
Don and Lisa
Acarl
CPJohnson
EVJ
elvanya
straffin
Wescovington
Eric P
DavyGravy
sjm
Adajeo
Jayboy1
Kaykay
scooby
michaelm
SamKat9
Debbie
SJMck
Cindy N
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
pipster
Bob B

If you missed it on the first post, the WSJ will not be published on Monday so the mug winner will not be notified until Tuesday. However the solution will be revealed here the first thing Monday morning.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Add me to the list on the ship. Good thing the bar is so huge and Isaac is so efficient. What a wonderful group Muggles is! I am fascinated by the discussion here. Saw something that made me think it’s in my wheelhouse, excitedly followed a fun and promising path — and hit the bottom of the rabbit hole. I guess I should be happy that the hole wasn’t too deep and I still have time to try something else. Just having trouble letting go!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Even with directions (as opposed to nudges) I cannot get an answer - time to stop.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Likewise, just finished the grid on line. Nothing, just nothing. Hanging out in the bar for now. Next step: a cup of tea and redo the grid on the pdf printout. Not much hope for this one.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Still lost at sea. Reading through the comments hoping for inspiration and wondering if it’s bad that I don’t have a wheelhouse. :roll:
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Beleaguered Castle

Post by Beleaguered Castle »

What a terrific group this is! Considering the "wheelhouse," the long list of solvers truly impresses me.

For those of you still dog paddling, don't give up! This is solvable and I'll bet you are closer to the solution than you think.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore with a shove, a tow, a life jacket and a life guard resuscitation.