"Chit Chat" Sept. 26, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm on a shore (I have the solution) but am not submitting.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FINALLY saw it after a dear other Wendy gently pulled me out of a deep (and seemingly fruitful) rabbit hole and directed me back toward an idea I had abandoned. Didn’t take long after that. Man, the power of bright shiny distractions!

On the shore, but since a lifeguard was involved, I won’t submit, of course. I do love this mechanism. Don’t love the distraction factor all over this grid/clues.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

steveb wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:38 am I'm on shore. Meta experience was useful for this one.

I hope Al enjoyed the shout-out at 11D!

Oh, and about that pesky Oxford comma: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/15/worl ... gency.html
One thing to say to the officials in that article:

B40679FB-91F8-4A74-BECD-82ACB17D42ED.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:40 am FINALLY saw it after a dear other Wendy gently pulled me out of a deep (and seemingly fruitful) rabbit hole and directed me back toward an idea I had abandoned. Didn’t take long after that. Man, the power of bright shiny distractions!

On the shore, but since a lifeguard was involved, I won’t submit, of course. I do love this mechanism. Don’t love the distraction factor all over this grid/clues.
I agree there were several distractions/rabbits all over this puzzle! Found a few myself! But I hope you share your rabbit hole on Monday…. Sounds like it might win “Golden Rabbit Hole”! Not a mug but still an honor!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

So far, I have nothing. So, on the boat I sit.
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Finally left the boat. I needed a nudge to look at something I had half looked at earlier. I was trying WAY too hard on something else. Thanks for the direction, now I have to decide how much more punishment I can take from Mr. Gaffney. I may be closing in on "enough".

So, although I am not 100% sure of my answer, I'll claim a piece of this shore.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:40 am FINALLY saw it after a dear other Wendy gently pulled me out of a deep (and seemingly fruitful) rabbit hole and directed me back toward an idea I had abandoned. Didn’t take long after that. Man, the power of bright shiny distractions!

Yeah, what she said. Wendy (the other, other Wendy) must buy lifesavers by the caseload!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hoover

Post by hoover »

DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:08 am Finally left the boat. I needed a nudge to look at something I had half looked at earlier. I was trying WAY too hard on something else. Thanks for the direction, now I have to decide how much more punishment I can take from Mr. Gaffney. I may be closing in on "enough".
Mr. Gaffney may be guilty of inducing a lot of puzzling frustrations, but this week's WSJ puzzle is credited to Mr. Shenk! (At least that's what my .PUZ says.)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

hoover wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:23 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:08 am Finally left the boat. I needed a nudge to look at something I had half looked at earlier. I was trying WAY too hard on something else. Thanks for the direction, now I have to decide how much more punishment I can take from Mr. Gaffney. I may be closing in on "enough".
Mr. Gaffney may be guilty of inducing a lot of puzzling frustrations, but this week's WSJ puzzle is credited to Mr. Shenk! (At least that's what my .PUZ says.)
I think Dr Tom was referring to the MGWCC which IS Mr Gaffney!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh... after two days with fresh eyes it came to me.

It's not that it's hard. Quite the opposite. It's that you'd immediately dismiss this as to be flimsy and variable like using a boggle board of letters on top of a pile of ripped screened doors for our national security launch codes. But by dang it works and you kick it and it holds up.

So... I'll have Kamikaze shots and .... oh, it's morning?.... then a mimosa with a sprig of mint. And very strong coffee with very heavy cream to the side.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm still drinking with Isaac this morning. I'm hoping that fresh eyes and a beer brain flush will help me see it in the evening.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore with help from the opposite coast

Now to continue with Matt’ week 3
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

FInally ashore (with some ace help) wet, bedraggled and with a sore puzzler. Not sure why it took me so long -- this should have been right up my alley. Does the cabana boy have any warm towels??
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Barney

Post by Barney »

woozy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:09 pm Oh... after two days with fresh eyes it came to me.

It's not that it's hard. Quite the opposite. It's that you'd immediately dismiss this as to be flimsy and variable like using a boggle board of letters on top of a pile of ripped screened doors for our national security launch codes. But by dang it works and you kick it and it holds up.

So... I'll have Kamikaze shots and .... oh, it's morning?.... then a mimosa with a sprig of mint. And very strong coffee with very heavy cream to the side.
This is an interesting comment.

Whatever it means.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still aboard the ship
Enjoying Isaac's cocktails.
Weeds will have to wait!
ArchaicMage

Post by ArchaicMage »

Ashore, though I share with some other Muggles a slight sense that the answer I got may not be the right one... but if it is, very fun and clever!
pjc

Post by pjc »

Finally - on shore! 100% lock.

It's funny how the correct mechanism can spring into your head while doing other activities. I was mowing the lawn - and all of a sudden it occurred to me what to do. When I finished with the lawn, I sat right down to see if the mechanism worked and, son of a gun, it did!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I tried for several days on this before checking the forum, where I knew I’d get the lay of the land. I am relieved to see others are finding it as challenging as I; but sad about my inability to rise to the next level and solve these!! My record for the year is tanking!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:18 am Here is the Saturday morning report from your Deputy Cruise Director.
The Friday afternoon ZooMuggle group solve diminished the ship’s population considerably! Arriving at Muggle Beach are Zoomers Aaron T, ACarl, Al Laubenstein, DebF, Dho, Ergcat, FKelly, Gman, JaneGummy, Kawaja, Lbray53, and Turbotron. I audited some of the Zoom call while stuck in Friday-afternoon traffic and as always was amazed at the creativity of approaches. There was also some well-informed discussion of how Ohioans celebrate Oktoberfest.
Also on shore are Al Sisti, Bill Katz, Brenner TJ, Char, CromsFury, DavyGravy, Dplass, Eagle 1279, Escape Artist, Georgeall, Grandma Lolo, Jean Rosz, JP Malone, JrDad, Lacangah, LivPolFan, Lyman, Maine Marge, MattytheWSJpuzzler, MerryPotter, MiniMuggle, RLiebert, Ship4U, Streroto, VanVeen, and Zach.
Homer Buckle and Adajeo have an answer but are not confident about it.
On the ship: AJ Lying, Barney, Barnhart6, Cap’n Rick, CPJohnson, Dr. Tom, Edestlin, Hunkra, Jeanne C, LisaJoy, MajorDomo Tom, Meowmiao71, Relic, SweetC, The XWord Rabbit, and Zelq.
And you just had to know that I'd be posting this photo. My nephew got a PR in a four-mile race at the Main Line Invitational at Haverford College yesterday, cutting 45 seconds off last year's time! As you can see, his dog came out to support him -- along with both of his parents, his grandmother, and me.
I think you should call yourself “Chief Mate!”
femullen

Post by femullen »

I'm in Seattle this weekend attending a crew reunion for a ship I sailed in more than 40 years ago. Some of these guys I haven't seen since then. But there's a wonderful bond of friendship that grows between people with whom you've endured pitch and roll from pole to pole, and I know my heart will ache just a little when I bid them all farewell late tonight.

But we are always building such friendships, aren't we. I'm sure that in another 40 years my eyes will well up just a little when I cry, "Ahoy, Isaac!"

Count me aboard, probably to stay. At 1800 we splice the mainbrace, and once that tide comes in, there'll be no spare brain cells.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.