"Scale Back" - April 29, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Totally lost at sea this week.
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

Well that took longer than I expected, but a very clever meta! On shore!!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Okay, I'm tired of staring at this and not seeing anything but the many shallow rabbit holes I keep tripping on.

And the MGWCC just arrived. So WSJ will have to wait.
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Bob, I believe I made it to shore! Good luck fellow Muggles. Jack & Ginger Ale for me.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Ashore, and I can’t believe it! Great puzzle and aha moment. With the slog of grading ahead of me and the Gaffney week 5 now waiting in my inbox, I was just about resigned to having to ask for a nudge when lightning struck.

For those still working on it, keep at it- you can do it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Dapperdan

Post by Dapperdan »

Ashore….call me a ‘cab’!
Barney

Post by Barney »

Distant solving partner and I are waving another white flag of surrender this week.
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:24 pm Metas are so interesting. Last week, I found my car in short order - and I don't really know that much about cars. I know a lot more about this week, but I just now figured it out.

Something that I was absolutely sure was important was in fact not at all. Something I tried did not work, but I kept trying it over and over again. (It still doesn't work.) Something I thought was a hint was totally irrelevant. Something else that I thought was a hint was also not. Several things that seemed to be suggested by <I won't say what> did nothing useful. Something that seemed like a good idea, I couldn't really get to work.

Took another trip through the puzzle this evening, and thought again about that last idea, and realized there was a different way to apply it that seemed promising, and then there it all was.

These constructors are just amazing.
Yes, amazing is the right word for them. Brings to mind those certain bridges . . .
Picture.png
CAe39

Post by CAe39 »

Made it to shore after much wandering down rabbit holes. Great aha moment.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

And the long plane ride does it again. Metas seem to go better at 38,000 feet!!!

Warm in Philly but not quite beach weather. Nonetheless I am ashore. Agree with others amazing AHA moment. Well done Mr Shenk.

Tales of deep rabbit holes to follow

Stay well all!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore! 🍸
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

In the pool on the boat, swigging beer. So far we got nothing.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Took a while, but finally got it. Definitely on shore.

I almost hired a 17A for this one so that I could 18A
(Poetic license) the answer. Time spent on this was not 23A. After much seeking, one idea 37A another and I found 48A in the fact that the meta was no longer 53A. I can proudly wear the 55A of victory again this week.

Fun puzzle, Mike.
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

On the beach. The rowboat-building instructions at those Friday Zoom meeting are always so helpful.

I'll have a Chocolate Egg Cream, please!
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Jace54 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:12 am Two-week losing streak here. Last week was on the right path but could not put it all together, this week not seeing anything.
Wow, I found the way to shore! That was rough but satisfying to finally get it.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still aship...no time, no time. But I got a lot done in the yard!
Cynthia
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

On shore after a nudge. Cool meta.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

So I saw that yummy chocolate egg cream a fellow Muggle posted and ordered it from Isaac rather than my usual Aperol spritzer. With a clear head I ventured once more into the puzzle. The paper glowed. My markers gave off sparks. The winds picked up and carried me aloft. I am ashore!

But the darned egg cream is still sitting on the bar!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Grid done. Trying to pull through on the meta between Colorado hikes this weekend. Still hanging with Isaac.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

And just like that, with a helpful hand out of the rabbit holes, I am ashore. I shall defer my drink until tomorrow as it is a vanilla Pepsi nitro and I don't want caffeine at bedtime. I've had nitro beer (Guinness and others) and nitro coffee, but never soda. I went with vanilla because that certainly sounds like the best pairing for creamy goodness.