"Oh And One More Thing" September 8, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:27 am Ashore. Trying to avoid a fever few people have and to hear veronica strum her ukulele (@MaineMarge, #125).

The Zoom session leads me to think that the elegance or confirming element that others found was the place where I started.
If while listening to Veronicas dulcet tones, and I'm assuming that is being done in a garden, can you do me a favor? My friend Renard seems to have lost an article of clothing out there, so if you see a fox glove please let me know.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Wow! That was quite a slog through the surf but finally ashore. I’ll take a page 9 with that puzzle! Did have a bit of help from 5 of my 6 kids who came home for the weekend, and a confirmation nudge from @ship4u . Thanks! Quite the AHA when all 10 of us in the room finally got it! And now for something simpler, Gin & Tonic should do!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Oh and one more thing, that was one of Gaffney’s finest that I’ve ever seen!!!!!
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

My head is spinning. I keep thinking I have it, and then I realize I am using 5 different metanisms. One more thing, one less thing, just the thing no more no less. Argh. Remember that Gaffney puzzle a few years ago when there actually were different mechanisms? Wasn’t that one called Just One More Thing? Or Just One More? It is haunting me.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Ashore with late start. Got stuck with one particular piece of the meta because I was fixated with one answer that I thought had to be part of it. From an elegance standpoint i ll give it an 8 out of 10 due to that. Will explain more on Monday
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Yoda66

Post by Yoda66 »

Happily ashore with assist from mr Google. Gin and tonic after mowing the lawn.
“You must unlearn what you have learned.”
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Would appreciate a nudge from any solvers online. Been trying to get my daughter hooked on these, but this is the second week in a row that I need help. Hard to explain how a meta works if you can't solve it!
Thanks, Dave

Edit: After much help, I am ashore. In fact, the only smart thing I've done today is ask for help. This one would have surely eluded me without it.
Last edited by STL-D on Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Ok, ashore. Oof. My sister dragged me by the armpits out of a rabbit hole. I’m not sure if I would have gotten it or how long it would have taken me without the serious redirection. I think I have a real chance at winning the Golden Rabbit.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore! 🏝️
That took some thinkiating!
Konnie
Olof

Post by Olof »

Ashore. Looked like a rabbit hole, but it was not, in fact, a rabbit hole.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Rescued! Wow.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore after one gentle, then one very firm, nudge from DrTom. Agree that the final “Aha!” Is even more satisfying than the first step. Clever puzzle!
Always happy to provide a nudge if I’m ashore.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I keep getting 2 or 3 matches to a mechanism and thinking "YES" I have it only to be doomed.
Still floating around in the water.

Edit: Ok now I am losing it - I got FOUR letters and still am totally out of it. LOL
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:27 am The Zoom session leads me to think that the elegance or confirming element that others found was the place where I started.
I got the answer without that confirming element. And I was a little nonplussed by the metanism, until I saw the confirming element, that is. Leading me to believe that you found the answer the intended way, whereas I missed the true path and took an unintended short cut.

While nonplussed, at first, it didn't subtract from the puzzle. It just divided us all into two groups (two fractions, you might say). Which adds up to a whole lotta fun. (I guess I tried to get to the root of the matter.)
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

"It is a truth uniVERsally acknowledged that a muggle in possession of a meta must be in want of an answer " (I have not found that answer!). And, oh, the VAgaries of metas--solvINg on page 1 last week and this week I'm the cHUMp at the corner of the bar with no luck hoMING in on the answer. I have a BIt of time. Maybe I'll try to clear my head with a walk through the stern gaRDen.

Dominican Republic, December 2013
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore.
finished grid yesterday, but then no progress. finally figured it out today.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:tropical_drink: :desert_island: Steered towards shore by our helpful cruise director.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On the beach but with a lot of help. Looking for the confirming part.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Spending the weekend with Isaac…