"Marked Deck" December 1, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:28 am
oldjudge wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:50 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:41 pm :tropical_drink: :desert_island: Ashore.
(Rosie Ruiz, for those young whippersnappers not old enough to remember her "victory")
With the NY subways it's amazing that she got to the finish at all. She should have gotten a prize just for that. Did she spell MIT wrong on her shirt? 🤣
@oldjudge and @KayW It was amazing on the MBTA that one of the following did not happen - the train catch on fire, a derailment, one train running into another, switch broke, track broke, probably a few more that have happened that I missed.
Should using Google now be called "Going Rosie?" Sadly, she is the only marathon runner I can recognize by photo. In this year's Mexico Marathon, 11,000 people cheated (you can look it up), but only some of them were named Ruiz.
FatJack

Post by FatJack »

also, Ashore!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Didn't see it yesterday, but today I do. Ashore!
I'm going to blame this delay on the fact that I had to fill in the puzzle on the WSJ site instead of my normal .puz file because the .puz file wasn't posted until waayyyyyyy late and I just found it online today. I can never get the hang of the spreadsheet thing. Type a letter, hit tab, type a letter, hit tab, too tedious for me.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

After several confirmations, I guess I happen to be on the correct shore. Was still thinking I needed a few more steps. Shot of whiskey sounds about right for a card game.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on shore, I agree, thought it might need to go further, but I'm stopping here.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
goosefish

Post by goosefish »

got it right away but still confused by the significance of the 7Down revealer. or at least the first two words of it…

just me?
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

DHO(Don) and I are ashore after solving remotely together this week! I feel like I’m getting my first cold of the season so I’ll take a hot toddy and an early bedtime!
Harbo

Post by Harbo »

Ashore. Feeling smart again.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Happy to be on the shore! Now I can get started on my Christmas decorations, holiday baking, planning two different meals for December 25 and finish buying presents for everyone on my list. Oh, yes, forgot about the cards - haven't even bought those yet! I had hoped to get the tree up and decorated today, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. First the furniture needs to be moved out; it's getting reupholstered after a 4-month wait. The sofa, chairs, and fabric for all was supposed to be picked up by my upholsterer this week, but he's still running behind. It's worth the wait - he's one of the best I have ever used, and I think it is a skill that may soon become obsolete in this "throw-it-away-when-it-gets-old" world.
Sara
ron

Post by ron »

Quick one. Joining the no-doubt record crowd on shore.
kfahey714

Post by kfahey714 »

Count me ashore. I'll have a bourbon.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

REMINDER: Please don't forget that today is Muggle Zoom Friday at 4:30 pm Eastern Time! I look forward to seeing everyone during our weekly get together. If you have never attended, please consider paying a visit. A good time is guaranteed and you'll get to meet some fellow muggle friends! Whether you have solved, would like to confirm your answer, or would like to chat with other muggles, please join us!!

Simply click on the Muggle Zoom Room tab at the top of the page to join!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:01 am Rowed myself ASHORE this week!
49d Bear witness
How about
Witness bear ( on my front lawn)
IMG_0751.jpeg
Wow! That appears rather un-bear-able!! The biggest things down in our neck of the woods are the pesky white tails. :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ashore, finally. Boy, was I overcomplicating this one!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

On shore!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Ashore - nice one
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. It’s going to be a crowded beach.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

KayW wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:41 pm :tropical_drink: :desert_island: Ashore.
(Rosie Ruiz, for those young whippersnappers not old enough to remember her "victory")
Check out Rosie's watch in that picture...

The following is an excerpt from a New York Times interview with Rosie less than three weeks before the next Boston Marathon:

Miss Ruiz dressed the part of a runner, although her black brushed hair was longer than last year when it was thought that her size (5 feet 7 inches) and shorter hairdo could have caused her to be mistaken for a man. She wore a red, white and blue Olympic warmup suit, running shoes and even a black Casio chronograph watch that differed from the conventional watch she wore at Boston. Miss Ruiz's unfamiliarity with questions about her split times at Boston first raised speculation about her legitimacy as a runner.
Al Laubenstein

Post by Al Laubenstein »

Ashore. Group effort.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Ashore last night after a very late start.