"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

Longtime lurker but new member here. What a great group.

I can generally solve the puzzles easily, but the meta puzzles always seem to give me fits. My solve rate is less than 20%. Quite frustrating!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 am
FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am Well I woke up having solved the meta in my dream! Unfortunately the answer I happily woke up to was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON.

However, I took a fresh look today and finally figured it out. Not sure I've ever been happier to join you guys on the beach.
That’s just how my Meta dreams always turn out.
True story: Woke from a vivid dream, yesterday morning, after someone in the dream glanced at my filled-in grid and asked, "What's that about? Insurance?" I went to my grid & found out that I couldn't make "insurance" work in any way.

Stupid dreams.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am Well I woke up having solved the meta in my dream! Unfortunately the answer I happily woke up to was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON.

However, I took a fresh look today and finally figured it out. Not sure I've ever been happier to join you guys on the beach.
Wouldn't it be funny if next week's meta was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON? You may have powers you never knew you had.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

LAS.
Enjoyed the slightly challenging grid but no clue on even step one for the meta.
But I still have 36+ hours!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 am

Wouldn't it be funny if next week's meta was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON? You may have powers you never knew you had.
I hope Mike and Matt are reading and make it happen! Though it would be really bad if I then missed it...
boharr

Post by boharr »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am
I am not submitting since I did not make it to shore unassisted. That is my personal rule.
This is a rule many of us follow.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:17 am
oldjudge wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 am

I hope Mike and Matt are reading and make it happen! Though it would be really bad if I then missed it...
My first two thoughts are going to be CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON & "insurance", come 4:02 PM ET, Thursday. I'll be posting "ashore" at 4:04.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles.

First a welcome to our newest muggles - mitchel674 and John77

And a welcome back to one of our long time muggles - Diana - expert composer of muggle related lyrics. Put on the youtube video and sing along with her lyrics.

We have an interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk this week. So far we have 19 on the ship and 71 on the shore.

On the ship with Isaac or shooting skeet from the back of the ship are
spotter
RDaleHall
MaineMarge
Joe R
John77
EVJ
tim1217
Gman
Inca
Peter L
Susan G
LittleGood
cbarbee002
Emily W
Dennis
SusieG
Janet P
norrin2
and mitchel674

On the shore basking in the social distancing are
sanmilton
femullen
Beth A
Meg
paige 11
Tmart
LesY
ky-mike
Al
Brian M
Wendy - hopefully having a relaxing time in Deleware
damefox
Laura M
Cindy
Jace54
Heidi
TPS
oldjudge
Abide - who needs to show up in his suit and tie on Tuesday
RobM
Kay
Tom Wi
anjhinz
Tina
Eric P
jeffrey
cherikee
Brian Davidson
jeremy
Chris
streroto
BarbaraK
LaceyK
Anita
M and M
Jordanian
boharr
yourpalsal
elementary
Schmeel
edot
joe
STL-D
Blair
joes
sharkicicles
cashk
C=64
Fred
DBMiller
moi
Guy L
joequavis
whimsy
Wdunbar
Dow Jones
dplass
pamster
Homer
Jack
Cindy N
JeanneC
markhr
Rita and George
LLinNC
MajorDomoTom
ReB
Scott M
Patty
lbray
and Frankie

Good luck to all with the grid and the meta - and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 am

That’s just how my Meta dreams always turn out.
Hey, no fair having God as a partner!!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:49 am Good Saturday morning muggles.

sanmilton
and Frankie

You can count me in (Post #90).
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Diana wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm Hello, it's me
This greatly confused me for a while, because I always think of the Todd Rundgren song. :D
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

You missed me--I am on the ship.

Actually, I am in the car with a 3-hour drive. Do I get my book done for Thursday's book club (currently on page 4)? Or do I keep staring at this puzzle (currently on step 0)?
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

I'll take that drink to go, Isaac. I've found the way ashore.

Stay well everyone!
Paul
C=64

Post by C=64 »

KANSAS is a six-letter word; let's see how many people submit that answer!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

C=64 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 pm
In my dream meta, BOSTON, not KANSAS, was one of the clues. I never could keep those bands straight!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:57 pm
C=64 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:54 pm
In my dream meta, BOSTON, not KANSAS, was one of the clues. I never could keep those bands straight!
I always confused BOSTON with JOURNEY. A looser connection geographically speaking, but equally valid future meta clues / answers.

I "solved" Don't Even Try in my sleep last week, but couldn't remember the steps and solution after waking up. Our subconscious minds can be amusing at times.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:49 am Good Saturday morning muggles.

And a welcome back to one of our long time muggles - Diana - expert composer of muggle related lyrics. Put on the youtube video and sing along with her lyrics.

We have an interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk this week. So far we have 19 on the ship and 71 on the shore.

On the ship with Isaac or shooting skeet from the back of the ship are
spotter
RDaleHall
MaineMarge
Joe R
John77
EVJ
tim1217
Gman
Inca
Peter L
Susan G
LittleGood
cbarbee002
Emily W
Dennis
SusieG
Janet P
norrin2
and mitchel674

sanmilton
femullen
Beth A
Meg
paige 11
Tmart
LesY
ky-mike
Al
Brian M
Wendy - hopefully having a relaxing time in Deleware
damefox
Laura M
Cindy
Jace54
Heidi
TPS
oldjudge
Abide - who needs to show up in his suit and tie on Tuesday
RobM
Kay
Tom Wi
anjhinz
Tina
Eric P
jeffrey
cherikee
Brian Davidson
jeremy
Chris
streroto
BarbaraK
LaceyK
Anita
M and M
Jordanian
boharr
yourpalsal
elementary
Schmeel
edot
joe
STL-D
Blair
joes
sharkicicles
cashk
C=64
Fred
DBMiller
moi
Guy L
joequavis
whimsy
Wdunbar
Dow Jones
dplass
pamster
Homer
Jack
Cindy N
JeanneC
markhr
Rita and George
LLinNC
MajorDomoTom
ReB
Scott M
Patty
lbray
and Frankie

Bob, I too am just standing around shooting the skeet...let's hope that does not get auto-corrected.
Man this puzzle is frustrating!!!! I need some INSURANCE to be able to CARRY ON.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:41 pm

Bob, I too am just standing around shooting the skeet...let's hope that does not get auto-corrected.
Man this puzzle is frustrating!!!! I need some INSURANCE to be able to CARRY ON.
Dr. Tom

Sorry I missed you. I was so interested in shooting skeet that I missed entering that you were on the ship. And it reminded me of when I went to my friend's house growing up and we went out with a double barrel shotgun. I had fired 22's in scouts so I knew about safety and such. Two things I did not know were 1) that the stock of the shotgun is beveled for a right handed shooter and 2) that the triggers are positioned for a right handed shooter.

So when I fired the first barrel the gun kicked upwards and my left trigger finger then fired the second barrel. And the two barrels going off in quick succession pushed the reverse beveled stock into my shoulder. Next time I was more conscious of both.

Experience is a tough teacher. It tests you first before it teaches you.

Now for you - get back to the meta - you can solve it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore, although like some others I don't think I fully understand what's going on.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

That hilarious! I often dream of puzzles, but never have dreamt a correct answer. It takes me half an hour or so to realize how far off I was.

I have an ear worm now.