"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Spending my usual quality time with Isaac.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore and like others we have a 90% confidence level with the answer........hope there's not a "pageant" lurking around there somewhere. That would be a bummer; it feels like we're about due for one??
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Did the grid, saw nothing. Came back a little later, immediately saw the path, but went nowhere. Took a nap. Looked again when I woke up, immediately found what I had been missing before and solved. I think. I'm not exactly seeing the connection to the rest of the puzzle, but I'm going with it.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well, finally ashore (with a friendly nudge, hence won't submit). Feeling 90% plus!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

PHOFER wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm Did the grid, saw nothing. Came back a little later, immediately saw the path, but went nowhere. Took a nap. Looked again when I woke up, immediately found what I had been missing before and solved. I think. I'm not exactly seeing the connection to the rest of the puzzle, but I'm going with it.
I'm not sure that connection exists, I'm pretty comfortable with what I submitted.

If it's a PAGEANT puzzle, so be it. I'm not a college football fan, so wouldn't have got that one either.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
G-VO

Post by G-VO »

Hi there! First-time poster, but have been following all of your exploits (with varying degrees of amusement and awe) for quite a while. We have been on a very enjoyable roll for months now (including a just-under-the-wire solve of that Morse code one a few weeks back), but this...this has us frightfully stumped. Weighing our desire to maintain our streak against our desire to maintain our sanity, we have decided to, reluctantly, send up a signal flare and ask for some gentle assistance from a kindly denizen of the shore. Per custom, we shall not submit for the mug this week; it's all right, neither one of us drinks coffee anyway. Thanks in advance, all!

EDIT: Thanks to everyone for your quick responses -- solve achieved, sanity saved. Cheers!
Last edited by G-VO on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore! Tough grid, worked out the meta fairly quickly. Like this one very much!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got it.

Had considerable difficulty with the grid.

Meta was also hard for me, but many are.

I think I earned a nice glass of red wine.

Richard
Richard

Post by Richard »

Question

Do you submit via email or via the link at the wsj?

I usually use email as I have a record that I actually submitted. Once I got the meta late at night and later was not sure if I submitted via the link.
Wondered about the rest and if it makes any different in winning the coveted mug.

Thanks
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:09 pm Question

I usually use email as I have a record that I actually submitted. Once I got the meta late at night and later was not sure if I submitted via the link.
Wondered about the rest and if it makes any different in winning the coveted mug.

Thanks
I always submit by email. But I don’t think it matters about the mug. Thoughts everyone?
Heidi
ALS

Post by ALS »

I'm so lost I can't even find the ship.

ALS
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I've also only submitted by email. Shouldn't matter - I suspect that the link on the WSJ website just generates and sends an email to the same inbox that we're sending to.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:19 pm
Richard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:09 pm Question

Thanks
I always submit by email. But I don’t think it matters about the mug. Thoughts everyone?
Via email. But I was never sure myself, either.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

norrin2 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:44 am I'm still on the ship. Figured out step one and followed a torturous path to a six-letter word, but it is neither elegant nor aha-inducing. I'll submit if it's all I've got by the deadline but am hoping for further enlightenment.
Ditto! Count me on board for now.

UPDATE - I've got a decent enough solution to submit. On shore (I think)!
Last edited by 802puzzler on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
Definitely hanging out with the “90%” crowd.
Good luck to everyone!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

C=64 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:24 am On shore, aided by my 16 year old! I was explaining to him how metas usually work, and he said "hmm, what about [correct method] -- no, that wouldn't work." 10 minutes later, I fully investigated his method, and boom!

If you're stuck, I recommend getting a family member involved. 😁
Especially a teenager! I wish I still had one!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! Sister-in-law and I tag teamed on this one.
She got us pointed in the right direction. I brought us home. It’s a 100%er!!
Last edited by EVJ on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ashore
Not sure how my answer fits the Clue but cannot see how it is wrong.
Hector

Post by Hector »

We don't really need mugs, but we used to really, really not need mugs. Once, we did need some, and for a gift occasion I stumbled upon a mug collector who was selling large batches on ebay (which I imagine their spouse demanding that they divest)---got about a dozen. Then hid them around the house with hints leading to the next one. Really cool, artsy mugs. They lasted us a good while, but I think we have only one left. I need to win some contests or we'll be drinking coffee out of our shot glasses---long story...
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hector wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 pm We don't really need mugs, but we used to really, really not need mugs. Once, we did need some, and for a gift occasion I stumbled upon a mug collector who was selling large batches on ebay (which I imagine their spouse demanding that they divest)---got about a dozen. Then hid them around the house with hints leading to the next one. Really cool, artsy mugs. They lasted us a good while, but I think we have only one left. I need to win some contests or we'll be drinking coffee out of our shot glasses---long story...
I really want to hear this story!
Heidi