" In Space No One Can Hear You Scream" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Very nice multi-level mechanism!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Darth

Post by Darth »

Crossed the moat...
images (10).jpg
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I hadn't done one of Ben's puzzles in a while but I'm glad I tried this one. Well done, lots of fun, and one of my favorite songs ever.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:43 am
Meg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 am I’ve brought some baby goats with me across the drawbridge.
Quit kidding around, Meg.
I have crossed the MOAT and would like to borrow Meg's goats. I have a steep bank that needs clearing and goats would be just the thing........
hoover

Post by hoover »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:07 pm
Meg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 am I’ve brought some baby goats with me across the drawbridge.
I have crossed the MOAT and would like to borrow Meg's goats. I have a steep bank that needs clearing and goats would be just the thing........
If Meg is not amenable to lending her goats, then perhaps there is a Rent-a-Ruminant franchise in your area. https://www.rentaruminant.com/
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Well, we're nearly at the 24 hour mark, and here is the first batch of successful solvers:

Schmeel
Dow Jones
Laura M
woozy
dplass
Cindy Weatherman
hoover
Meg
ChemBrewer
edestlin
boharr
kymike
rjy
lbray53
BrennerTJ
ajk
Tyrpmom
Bird Lives
KayW
Hector
Dave C
Andrew Bradburn
DIS
whimsy
Mwoychick
Gutman
LindaPRmaven
markhr
JHSeeman
zonkswonk
kieranjboyd
ReB
HeadinHome
Abide
DrTom
oldjudge
Darth
BarbaraK
SewYoung

That's 39 to get us started.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

hoover wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 pm
SewYoung wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:07 pm

If Meg is not amenable to lending her goats, then perhaps there is a Rent-a-Ruminant franchise in your area. https://www.rentaruminant.com/
Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, there is not. If we lived here full time, I would buy one or two.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat ( per Crosshare)! Fun meta! Thanks, Ben!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the moat. Thanks, Ben.
Cindy Heisler
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Abide wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 pm Very nice multi-level mechanism!
Agreed! Thoroughly enjoyed. Crossed the moat... with no screaming.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

Tom Wilson
SJMcK
Ergcat
Cindy Heisler
Bbaack
CPJohnson
shalmanezer
Caroline
MH

48 so far. Nudges in 24 hours...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Saturday morning here in Oz, and it's time for some nudges. But first, a solver update:

frostyjhammer
Spid4567
Darrell
Pair O Ducks

That's 52. We have a full deck of cards!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are clues containing asterisks. Note that they are arranged in 6 groups of 2.

2. The central entry does not provide any hint on how to solve the meta. But 40 and 60 down do: THE BLACK is where you will find what will lead you to the answer to the meta.

3. Use the parts of the clues following the asterisks to find a word that will fit into the black square between each pair of adjacent entries. It won't connect the entries; it will just fit with both.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

benchen71 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:27 pm Saturday morning here in Oz, and it's time for some nudges. But first, a solver update:

frostyjhammer
Spid4567
Darrell
Pair O Ducks

Nice to know we are playing with a full deck! :D
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

whimsy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:27 pm
benchen71 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:27 pm Saturday morning here in Oz, and it's time for some nudges. But first, a solver update:

frostyjhammer
Spid4567
Darrell
Pair O Ducks

Nice to know we are playing with a full deck! :D
But I thought we were playing pinochle!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the last batch of solvers before the answer reveal:

Carolyn
Qmark
Sharkicicles
Shalaka
emmie
Jeremy Smith

We got to 58 in the end.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "In Space No One Can Hear You Scream":

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream (solution).png

This puzzle underwent some serious editing. The original design had no clues with asterisks. More than that, the key grid entries did not have the parts of the clues after the asterisks. I was hoping the hint pointing you to THE BLACK would get you looking at the black squares and then you would somehow "work out" you needed to add words between those particular pairs of entries with (perhaps) only symmetry to assist you. That was version 1.

Upon reflection I thought that might be a bit tricky. So I added asterisks to those clues. That was version 2.

Upon even further reflection I decided that I needed to provide you with something that would help you decide what word to put between the grid pairs. And so version 3 was the one that I then released, with the extended clues following the asterisks. Did I make it too easy? Or was it just right?

For your listening pleasure here's "The Ballad of Serenity", the theme music from Firefly. Not the sort of thing you might expect for a sci-fi show, but then again, Firefly was not your average sci-fi show...