"Complete The Square" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I got it, I got it! Now on to the MEOW.
Cynthia
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Trebuchet #2 did the trick.

Untitledcastletrebuchet.png

Thanks for an interesting puzzle, Ben!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

I've crossed the moat but took a couple of the hints.....and worse I saw the first one and thought oh that's interesting (facepalm).
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I think I know what to do (famous last words), but it feels a bit tenuous, even after the first two nudges. I'll play around a bit until I get it...or until that third nudge feels too tempting to ignore!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed all the nudges, but got it. In retrospect I might not have needed the last one, because I was already doing a variant of what it suggested, and I might have gotten around to the right version of it eventually. But sometimes that 'stick with it' signal is pretty vital too.

Anyway, fun idea and puzzle. Thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Needed the nudges, and have crossed the moat.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Lots more solvers! Woo hoo!!

Jim Dean
Laura M
DrTom
Lance
LindaPRmaven
MatthewL
DebbieC
Cindy Heisler
Carolyn
whimsy
CPJohnson
Tom Wilson
MrTheHan
JHSeeman
Darrell
ajk
Tyrpmom
kieranjboyd
ChrisCross
kymike
Jaclyn

We're up to 40 now!!!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Finally, okay!

Nudge #2 pretty much confirmed it, and nudge #3 sealed the deal, though I did need a bit of googling. What a fun metanism - well-done!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged across the moat. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update, bringing us to 45:

Spid4567
Pair O Ducks
Johnny Luau
Mikey G
Dow Jones

Next (and final) update before the answer reveal Monday morning (Australian time).
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat!! Finally got it. I had the right idea of what to do from the beginning but the nudges helped me focus on the correct way to apply it!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Finally crossed the moat just before I was going to send a PM for rescue - something in the composing of the PM got my mind moving in a new way that set off a flash of insight which put me back on the correct path.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Monday morning Down Under means answer time! But first, here is the last group of successful solvers:

Ergcat
jbird
ReB
ultimodem
Julie bookworm
Account

... bringing us up to 51. Well done, everyone!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Complete The Square":

Complete The Square (solution).png

All of the "square" synonyms are listed on thesaurus.com except for NERD. However, the phrase "be there or be square" definitely has nerdy overtones! (See also here.)

Here's an appropriate music video to accompany this meta (although it does tend to overuse the extreme closeup!)

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

While I'm posting, allow me to advertise my new puzzle release: the Rejected (Non-meta) MOAT Pack. Check out the announcement post here, and I look forward to processing your orders soon! :D
Attachments
Mont-Saint-Michel.jpg
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

benchen71 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm Here's the solution to "Complete The Square":

Complete The Square (solution).png

All of the "square" synonyms are listed on thesaurus.com except for NERD. However, the phrase "be there or be square" definitely has nerdy overtones! (See also here.)

Here's an appropriate music video to accompany this meta (although it does tend to overuse the extreme closeup!)

And of course, the follow-up...

benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 am
And of course, the follow-up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MRx4LpYbQ4
That's awesome!