MEOW #113: Size Matters

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has finally been released. Thanks for the puzzle, Tom!
Matthew
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! Thanks to a nudge from @DrTom !
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

A few more join the list:

13 SjMcK
14 LauraM
15 Ckochmanski
16 MatthewL
17 Ergcat
18 DIS

Nudges coming tomorrow, I'd do it tonight but my internet is really acting up and everything is taking 10 times as long to do.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Friday; Nudge Day in Meowville. There really are only three nudges or I just give it all away:
Cat Nudge.jpg
There are five very obvious "size" answers in the GRID

Write the 5 answers down and examine them, what do you notice is unique about each?

How would the unique characteristic of each help you to find letters for the answer?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Nudged outta the bag that was on some couch across a moat... phew! Thanks for the puzzle, DrTom, and for the nudges that still preserved the AHA... fun challenge!
Ray
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Here, nudgie, nudgie, nudgie....
Untitledherenudgienudgie.png
Took that first one to set me straight.

Thanks for some excellent rabbit hole fun, Dr. Tom!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Got it with the nudges - thanks, Dr. Tom. I was on a completely different path (leading nowhere, of course!)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it with the nudges, albeit a little slower than I should have. :) Thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Got it with the nudges. Thanks DrTom!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Fridays solvers:

20 Whimsy
21 rjy
22 Mwoychick
23 Pair O Ducks
24 Carolyn
25 ajk
26 Benchen71
27 Bird Lives
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I needed all of the nudges but the cat is finally out. Thanks for the puzzle Dr. Tom. Once again the answer was hiding in my notes in plain sight.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:47 am I needed all of the nudges but the cat is finally out. Thanks for the puzzle Dr. Tom. Once again the answer was hiding in my notes in plain sight.
Of course it was, you just had to size it up correctly :D
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Now here I thought, OK, WSJ was fairly straightforward (took me forever but..) and no MG so EVERYONE will be doing the MEOW. Well as the sailor said as he looked at the ratty piece of rope tied to the turnbuckle, frayed knot!

Three more solvers:
28 lbray53
29 markhr
30 BarbaraK

Thanks guys!
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Needed the nudges to get the cat out of the bag...thanks DrTom!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have to have a name for this phenomenon, but it's where you take a nudge, realize that you already had all of what that nudge is telling you on your own accord, and ask yourself, "Do I go on?"

That's happened with the first two now. Do I take the third...hmmm...that has to give me something new, but obviously, what I noticed must be important. Decisions, decisions!

Like dessert!

"Do you want the cake or the ice cream?"
"Yes!"

Edit: Ruminating on it for a bit got me home!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, final count and amount, not too bad actually:

1 Hector
2 Trypmom
3 chriscross
4 Whinsy
5 Darth
6 boharr
7 Cinny (T)
8 Meg
9 Cindy Weatherman
10 dplass (T)
11 KayW (T)
12 CPJohnson
13 SjMcK
14 LauraM
15 Ckochmanski
16 MatthewL
17 Ergcat
18 DIS
19 Abide
20 Whimsy
21 rjy
22 Mwoychick
23 Pair O Ducks
24 Carolyn
25 ajk
26 Benchen71
27 Bird Lives
28 lbray53
29 markhr
30 BarbaraK
31 SeamusOL
32 Qmark
33 MikeyG
34 Johnny Luau
35 bhamren

I thank the HUGE number of people who spent no SMALL amount of time on this GINORMOUSLY mis-rated puzzle. I had no idea it was going to play so hard.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

The REVEAL!

Once again I find myself having to apologize for a puzzle that played WAY harder than I imagined. It was actually so easy to construct I thought it would be similarly easy to solve. Knowing the all too familiar myth I was certain people would tie size to length and then the selection of words would be evident. Another of the S.A.D. Metas I'm afraid.
Size Matters Reveal graphic.jpg
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

So, a medical question, does brain size really matter?

I know humans have bigger brains than other primates, but don't elephants and whales have bigger brains than humans?

And what about within the species? Was Einstein's brain bigger than everyone else's? I believe he donated it to science when he died, but don't recall what science figured out about it. Can you predict how intelligent someone is by the size of their brain?

Inquiring minds want to know (but are too lazy to just google all this.)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nice one Tom!

@Barbarak I Googled on your behalf, at best there is only a weak correlation it seems, which is what you'd expect for almost any complex phenotype
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 am Once again I find myself having to apologize for a puzzle that played WAY harder than I imagined.
For this solver anyway, ixnay on the ologyapay! Some puzzles are fun to knock out in 30m, and some are often more rewarding if you have to revisit them over the next couple days. I often appreciate when constructors don’t give in with early nudges - tho duh! I will will jump on them whenever they arrive. But all are fun spots on the spectrum of the this crazy twisted art form you all excel at!
Ray