"Matt. 20:16" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow... what am I missing?

(Never noticed that Davros was 25D...)
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Moat crossed...clever meta. Thanks Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

woozy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:44 pm Wow... what am I missing?
This is definitely supposed to be a "week 1". ;)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:04 am
woozy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:44 pm Wow... what am I missing?
This is definitely supposed to be a "week 1". ;)
Well, it certainly is not to me right now.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally solved; made it harder than it needed to be. Thanks, Ben.
Cynthia
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol basically solved it immediately, but missed the obvious last little bit to produce the answer. Looked again today and it popped right out. Feel like that's been happening a lot lately. :lol:
Fun one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MOATered home! Fun one Ben, and as usual, unusual.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the next batch of solvers, bring us to 55:

SeamusOL
Qmark
shalmanezer
woozy
clev
Madhatter5
CPJohnson
Spid4567
ajk
troysail
DrTom
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

In all the WSJ/MEOW fun I forgot to post the nudges! Here they are, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Your only clue is the puzzle title.

2. The long entries are the focus here.

3. Apply the Bible verse to the long entries.

4. You might find an easter egg in the grid that will confirm your answer.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Solved pre-nudges. Very nice Week 1.75 ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just two more solvers to add to the list, bringing us to a grand total of 57:

Abide
Jim Dean

And now on to the answer reveal...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Matt. 20:16":

Matt. 20v16 (solution).png

You might have needed to look up that Bible reference. Matt. 20:16 is as follows: “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.” Goodness, but that sounds like a meta mechanic to me!

I remember having quite a lot of trouble with the O/I pairing. But in the end I really like the Gollum clue. And for those of you who thought EWING STATS should have referenced "Dallas", I have to say that that never occurred to me. I have never watched an episode of either the original show (I was too young at the time) or the remake. But Star Wars is always on my mind! :D
woozy

Post by woozy »

Kind of interesting that in the nudges you gave no nudge that we were to *read* the letters. For me that was the hardest part.