"Introducing The Middle Class" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:42 pm Hmm... I think I see the intended concept and ... it just is. It doesn't lead to any meta and by its very nature can't lead to any meta.... wierd.

Edit: ANd then the second I post that what to do becomes obvious. Not just obvious but but a standard we've done dozens of times.
Like some others this was the push I needed to take another look, and of course immediately saw what I had spent a lot of time not seeing. So thanks to Ben for another MOATivated puzzle and Woozy for MOATivation, between the two I MOATerd across. (and didn't even have to use nudges!!!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the second nudge, but solved now. Fun one, though I didn't get a resounding click on the answer. But figured it had to be that, and I was just missing the link. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat! Needed the nudges !
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

I certainly didn't storm the castle this week, but I did solve using the nudges. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two additional nudges, if you're still struggling:

4. The six new clues will all be comprised of two words.

5. One word in each of the six new clues will be "CLASS".
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

FINALLY de-MOATED (figuratively and literally), after the remedial nudges. I guess I get a 28D on this one. Thanks for a fun puzzle Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Nudged across the moat
ReB

Post by ReB »

Third nudges got me across, but should have only needed the first two. Thanks.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the final batch of solvers:

Dow Jones
DrTom
jbird
Johnny Luau
ajk
Ergcat
Cindy Heisler
KayW
hoover
kurtalert
SeamusOL
Gutman
DCBilly
MrTheHan
ReB
Jaclyn
DebbieC
Mikey G
Darrell
LindaPRmaven
Sharkicicles

That's 47 in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Introducing The Middle Class":

Introducing The Middle Class (solution).png

A few solvers, perhaps not seeing that the order of the meta answer came from grid order, went with MASTER or MASTER CLASS. Some that did submit STREAM noted a lack of a "click". But I was going with STREAM in the sense of "put (schoolchildren) in groups of the same age and ability to be taught together." As it turns out, this sense is found in British/Australian English! :D
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I'm too dense to attempt meta-solving, but clue 57D cracked me up. I've never heard of a "fashion victim" before, but it's hilarious!
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:54 pm I'm too dense to attempt meta-solving, but clue 57D cracked me up. I've never heard of a "fashion victim" before, but it's hilarious!
I'm sure there's a witty remark that goes something like, "If you don't know who the fashion victim is in your circle of friends, then you're probably it!" :lol: