"Poles Apart" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I've submitted the only thing I can make the letters read. Can't for the life of me figure out the order, and even an anagram generator isn't helping. Sorry, Ben, I'm sure there's a genius twist here but I just can't see it!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

schmidzy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:19 am I've submitted the only thing I can make the letters read. Can't for the life of me figure out the order, and even an anagram generator isn't helping. Sorry, Ben, I'm sure there's a genius twist here but I just can't see it!
Your submission made me smile, but I will not be accepting it as a valid answer, sorry! :lol:
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

For those having trouble.... don't forget, Ben is from down under.

benchen71 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:06 am Since the nudges release, there have been 7 solvers:

woozy
Annoying thing is I didn't use the nudges. But I did re-read the prompt. Then again I Hail Maryed and couldn't use the nudges.

schmidzy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:19 am I've submitted the only thing I can make the letters read. Can't for the life of me figure out the order, and even an anagram generator isn't helping. Sorry, Ben, I'm sure there's a genius twist here but I just can't see it!
You really need another anagram generator. You have the letters.
So I just plain couldn't get my meta based on "Up the Down Staircase" to work.

My challenge it to constructors is to make a meta where the meta, theme or metanism is "Up the Down Staircase".
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ahhh… FINALLY got it. Moat crossed and castle merely gently approached, but a nice aha remained after all that. Nice twist, Ben!
Ray
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the MOAT with a nudge or three.
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed: Took the Polar Express to the castle...
7f9fec57023796321504cda349c6fde3.png
but hit a snow drift! Got it now! Thank you, Ben.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Darth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:49 am DeMOATed: Took the Polar Express to the castle...
but hit a snow drift! Got it now! Thank you, Ben.
... which is more than I can say about the WSJ this week, despite your redirecting nudge! :(
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ReB

Post by ReB »

"Poles Apart" - as opposed to "Germans Apart" or "Ukrainians Apart"? At this point, I'm still poles apart from the answer...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you. 8 more solvers brings us up to 39:

lbray53
Mg305
DCBilly
Darth
rjy
hoove
Jaclyn
Tyrpmom
Sharkicicles

Next (and last) update tomorrow morning Australia time, right before the answer reveal.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, for grand total of 41:

Gutman
Mikey G

Answer reveal coming up in 3... 2... 1...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Poles Apart":

Poles Apart (solution).png
ReB

Post by ReB »

Well it looks like I had the mechanism figured out all along but didn't put the letters together in the correct sequence to make intelligible words. Oh well. Another ingenious concept from Ben here.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

IMG_1945.jpeg
Exactly what my grid looks like, but just could not figure out how to put the pieces together. Did I miss a clue in the grid about reading backwards?
( :

I was trying hard to think of a phrase about op-art, involving magnets.
The other Wendy. :roll:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:26 pm Did I miss a clue in the grid about reading backwards?
No, there was no hint as to direction. Sometimes you just have to try everything! :D
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

So I instinctively "guessed" that the meta was OPPOSITES ATTRACT, from the title and prompt, about halfway through the grid. Since CROSSHARE allows multiple guesses, I entered it and, voila, I was right. I then tried to back solve but didn't get past the N-S letters.
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol I had it instantly but never thought to look up instead of down. Ah well. These things happen. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer