"Stuck In The Middle" April 28, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sjm

Post by sjm »

Ashore - just in time for the weekend!
hottieruth

Post by hottieruth »

Happily ashore
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On shore. Muggle beach didn't have much room so we went to back to Waikiki. Plenty of bars, tiki and otherwise.
On the beach in Hawaii.

It's really aloha Friday for us. Heading back to the mainland this weekend for the summer.
Rufus T. Firefly
Janet

Post by Janet »

Woo hoo! I am ashore, stuck in the middle of the beach crowd!
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Ashore! I have small quibble with one of the steps. Perhaps I am being to OCD about it.

For now it's time to uncork something tasty!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

On shore!
Konnie
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Another fun Friday Zoom, as always! Thanks everyone for coming on and have a great weekend!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ship4u wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:07 pm What to do with an anvil that you enjoy looking at when not blacksmithing? I figured it out!

DSC_0806 (2).JPG

DSC_0804.JPG
One thing for sure- Cynthia won't be moving that around.

And it looks horribly unstable with the weight at the top.

Notice that there are two handles on each side for easy lifting :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Made it to shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

By the way, since we have over 200 on the shore and the MGWCC is not coming out until tomorrow, here are a couple of challenges

Here is the crossword that was run in the Daily Telegraph that you had to complete in 12 minutes.
image-asset BP questons.jpeg
Time yourself and PM me your completed answers with your time and we will determine if you would have been a code breaker.

this is the second part - here are six questions (and answers)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -code.html

Of a side note, In 1941 Agatha Christie penned a novel called N or M? In it there appeared an old army officer called Major Bletchley, but at the time only the people working at the Park or at the War Office officially knew the location. One of Christie's close friends was the codebreaker Dilly Knox and MI5 interviewed Knox to condemn him for spilling the secret to Christie, but he maintained that he had not. Knox invited Christie around for tea to try and straighten out the situation. On asking why she had named the army character Bletchley she replied "Bletchley? My dear, I was stuck there on my way by train from Oxford to London and took revenge by giving the name to one of my least lovable characters." MI5 were relieved and dropped the issue.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:57 pm
ship4u wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:07 pm What to do with an anvil that you enjoy looking at when not blacksmithing? I figured it out!

DSC_0806 (2).JPG

DSC_0804.JPG
One thing for sure- Cynthia won't be moving that around.

And it looks horribly unstable with the weight at the top.

Notice that there are two handles on each side for easy lifting :lol:
I made the base out of solid walnut which is pretty hefty at about 70 lbs. I don't think there is any danger of a tip-over. A lot of people simply nail their anvil to a tree stump, but I wanted something more aesthetically pleasing

What appears to be "handles" are actually custom made hammer and tool holders. All things considered, It's a work of art, IMHO! :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still stuck on the boat so far ...
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore. Was traveling yesterday to Tampa to visit my son, and didn't plan on getting to this until tonight or tomorrow. But when I got to his apartment this morning, he was doing the grid! So we sat down and solved the grid together, and then went to work on the meta. Didn't take us too long. I saw the initial step, and he saw the final step. So went to the Cigar City Brewpub to have a few Jai Alai to celebrate. Seemed appropriate. Have a great weekend everyone!
Matthew
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ashore. Such a busy week I missed Thursday. Well, I forgot about the puzzle anyway.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore.

Yes, that was Tough, I'm not saying it

Came back from two weeks in Spain/Portugal where the weather was lovely, the food was amazing, the wine was flowing, and the music was wonderful. (My wife, the producer of an NPR nationally syndicated music performance/interview show, arranged private sessions with musicians such as Salvador Sobral in Lisbon, the winner of the 2017 Eurovision song contest, and Jorge Drexler in Madrid, winner of many Latin Grammy's.) (Yes, I'm bragging about my wife.)

Now back in the state, sitting in our cold, rainy Pocono Mountain retreat.

Aaaaaand loving it!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DSC_0806 (2).JPG

DSC_0804.JPG
Love it!

Though, drink a little too much of the Smitwick's and you're liable to bump your leg into the sharp end of that thing!

Wondering how hot it gets when the fire really gets going. Can you only drink hot drinks then?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Nlobb wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:35 pm Ashore despite a case of Covid dragging me down… that will teach me to go on a cruise. Lots of fun but guess I am paying for it!! I am sure a Guinness is still appropriate and good for what ails you!!
Although no one seems to be keeping track of the numbers these days, it seems it must be on the rise. (Again.... Ugh.) A number of Muggles have reported positive tests. And my wife and I just returned from a trip in Spain/Portugal and about a third of the group have come up positive this week. We seemed to have dodged that particular bullet on this trip.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

OliviaL wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:31 am On shore! It’s nice to solve the puzzle in the newspaper rather than on my phone now that we are back in the States! My first meta solve was the weekend we departed to Mexico back in January 2022 so it’s been fun keeping you guys updated along the way here. I finally finished our website now that we are back and I’ve fixed my computer! Check it out if you’re interested: www.thepanamericandream.com

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :)
Great looking site! My wife said, "So when are we going to do that?"

(Gulp!)
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Didn’t get to it until Fri eve, sat down, solved grid and meta. Done for the weekend!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Just did it and am ashore.