"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Still on the ship, stuck in a labyrinthine rabbit hole, but encouraged by those who have solved.
TPS

Post by TPS »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:51 pm I do have to disagree with those who say the answer makes no sense because, if it does then you did it wrong.

IDK if I have the right answer - but If it is - I obviously did it right because the odds of it being the correct answer but the wrong method would be about the same as winning the lottery by finding the ticket in the pocket of some pants I bought at Goodwill. That said, I just don’t find it an elegant answer especially compared to some of Mike’s other puzzles this year.
Last edited by TPS on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Bob,
If you're counting people on shore. Count me and my husband in.
Also, I felt the earthquake this morning, and my husband said " It's the washing machine"
:lol:
Janet

Post by Janet »

On shore! Just returned from a trip.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:51 pm Well, I now know the solution. I am NOT claiming to be ashore because I do not deserve to be there with all of those clever folks who solved it on their own. Even when I got a full fledged NUDGE I fumbled the ball and it was not until someone told me exactly where to look that anything appeared out of the mist. I do have to disagree with those who say the answer makes no sense because, if it does then you did it wrong. Everything ties up rather neatly, but I am going to remember this little bugger for QUITE some time.
Based on Dr. Tom's comment and others, I know this is one where I just wouldn't need a nudge, I'd have to be led by the nose across the finish line. In other words, a real groaner. I'd rather do that groaning tonight right before I turn out the lights, rather than spend the rest of the afternoon and all evening doing so.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I received an unsolicited nudge, so I got it (I won't be submitting).
Reminiscent of an earlier meta....I didn't get that one either.
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

This was a tough multi-day solve for me. Following the methodology suggested by some here, I slept on it, and the next day a path jumped out at me. I was still stuck though, and slept on it again. Nothing. Following the methodology suggested by others, I enlisted my non-muggle wife by explaining meta mechanics and in the course of the explanation arrived at a suitable 6 letter word. Count me on a beach.
stmv

Post by stmv »

It seems to be hard for me to MOVE BEYOND the title, still lost at sea :-(
Inca

Post by Inca »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:16 am Article about crosswords in Time. Brian is this the one you were talking about last week? https://time.com/5871704/erik-agard-usa ... d=31885159
Oh no
Colin

Post by Colin »

Storm Tuesday,
Power Sunday.
Crossword Thursday,
Grid Saturday.
Meta Friday,
Isaac Sunday.
Mojito me please,
Lost in the breeze.
One world. One planet. One future.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 am
pddigi wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:29 am It’s rare (possibly a first) that Dom and I are completely stumped with no sense that we’ve at least found step 1. I got to see him this weekend, under less than desirable circumstances (my brother is ill). He is now en route home, as I will be later today. If anyone wants to give me a gentle nudge, I’ll take it.
How about a :::hug::: for your brother, instead?
A hug would be very much welcome. He has Down syndrome and was a rock star throughout the bulk of his life, with orders of magnitude more friends than any of his siblings could claim. Unfortunately, Alzheimer's is robbing him of most mental function (and he was highly functioning - held a job for 23 years in Material Services at a local hospital, where he became the unofficial "Mayor"). It was nice to see him and help him out a little bit - played music from his prime ("Grease") and watched "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" among other things. I am proud that two of my boys also visited.
Last edited by pddigi on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

I’m still struggling away and would also appreciate a nudge at this point. I had to laugh at the dream discussion. I had enlisted my husband’s help and he woke up from a nap yesterday saying he had been dreaming about 6 letter words...no help at all! Hah! I thought by telling him that 14 and 16 year olds were getting the answer this week, he’d really dive in, but instead that just made us both feel worse! 😊
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Feel free to DM me. Let me know how much of a nudge you want.
howardl

Post by howardl »

I'm on shore. I followed a reasonable path to a six letter word. But usually the right answer gives me an "Aha!". Perhaps I have the right answer, and I'm missing some clever hint hidden elsewhere in the puzzle.
Meg

Post by Meg »

howardl wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:30 pm I'm on shore. I followed a reasonable path to a six letter word. But usually the right answer gives me an "Aha!". Perhaps I have the right answer, and I'm missing some clever hint hidden elsewhere in the puzzle.
I think many of us feel the same way. Hoping for some enlightenment on Monday.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Larrry wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:14 pm This was a tough multi-day solve for me. Following the methodology suggested by some here, I slept on it, and the next day a path jumped out at me. I was still stuck though, and slept on it again. Nothing. Following the methodology suggested by others, I enlisted my non-muggle wife by explaining meta mechanics and in the course of the explanation arrived at a suitable 6 letter word. Count me on a beach.
Yeah, I decided it was worth a try to use that methodology, too. After showing my husband the puzzle (he already knows how the metas work from previous attempts to enlist his help), he took a look, pretended to be studying the grid, then looked back at me and burst out laughing. Last time I do that!
Sara
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

IMG_0616.PNG
This is a picture of my Desert Rose cactus. Tried to post this on Thursday, but I finally figured out how to do this!
Heidi
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

The story of a crossword addict: We have been out on our boat for the last several days. On Thursday around 3:00 I started to panic. I need internet connection! And a printer! Went to a marina store and they kindly printed out my puzzle. Whew. Back on the boat I could not find a pencil anywhere. I’m not smart enough to use pen but I managed to fill in the grid with only a few mistakes. I remembered to pack my clipboard but I must have forgotten my thinking cap! I can’t figure out the meta. I still had a lovely long weekend on the boat. So there.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

higgysue wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:51 pm The story of a crossword addict: We have been out on our boat for the last several days. On Thursday around 3:00 I started to panic. I need internet connection! And a printer! Went to a marina store and they kindly printed out my puzzle. Whew. Back on the boat I could not find a pencil anywhere. I’m not smart enough to use pen but I managed to fill in the grid with only a few mistakes. I remembered to pack my clipboard but I must have forgotten my thinking cap! I can’t figure out the meta. I still had a lovely long weekend on the boat. So there.
Just change the location and we have all been there. You still have eight hours to solve the meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

I would also appreciate a nudge. Usually the title supplies a way into the meta, but I am seeing nothing here.