"Getting Possessive" - March 11, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:19 pm Good Sunday morning muggles

And we hope that the snow is gone for everyone

. . .
Nope to that hope. Still snowing here on the shores of Lake Erie. Little accumulation but that is little consolation.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Shame and misery....had to be dragged ashore, so much so that if I submitted it would have to be in my nudger's name. I have had an ABYSMAL week of metas. I think I got only the MGWCC and if I could not get that I should just quit the forum. I had the right idea on all the others, just not how to apply it, just as I did with this one. Oh, the hoops I was jumping through...

It might be time to go from 5 or 6 a week to three. I don't know that I'll do any better that way but at least I will not have more than 3 days of failure each week.
will solve.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

DrTom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 pm Shame and misery....had to be dragged ashore, so much so that if I submitted it would have to be in my nudger's name. I have had an ABYSMAL week of metas. I think I got only the MGWCC and if I could not get that I should just quit the forum. I had the right idea on all the others, just not how to apply it, just as I did with this one. Oh, the hoops I was jumping through...

It might be time to go from 5 or 6 a week to three. I don't know that I'll do any better that way but at least I will not have more than 3 days of failure each week.
Eh, just a rough patch! I think we all go through them. Luckily there are friendly muggles to help pull us out of the quicksand.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well here is one more wrinkle, even when I thought I had it I did not. In my haste to get it DONE and stop the torture I missed it by thaaaat much!

It is true, thank goodness for nudgers, and though "I have always relied on the kindness of solvers" (apologies to Margaret Mitchell) I usually did not have to do it EVERY puzzle. Too many things going on ...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore!
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

On the beach with my Jack & Ginger Ale (Vernor's) our hometown favorite. ;)
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 am Our own Al Sisti, Grand Marshal of the Utica (NY) St. Patrick's Day Parade!
"People are jonesing for the parade --- yeah, we're gonna do this."
Here's the full video: https://www.wktv.com/news/local/uticas- ... c8aed.html
That's so cool! Thanks, Wendy.
Kathie
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Janet P wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:39 pm Nope to that hope. Still snowing here on the shores of Lake Erie. Little accumulation but that is little consolation.
You must not be too far away from me in Shaker Heights. Have no fear, tomorrow 50 degrees will be here!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Like some others, I am going to declare myself ashore. Would prefer my feet in warm, dry sand instead of the wet surface where the surf was a few minutes ago. In other words, I am not sure of the path I took!
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

On shore! Celebrating with Justin Isosceles.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

katnahat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:07 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 am Our own Al Sisti, Grand Marshal of the Utica (NY) St. Patrick's Day Parade!
Well, I'll bet we have a new catch phrase for METAs - "Yeah, we're gonna do this!"

Didn't our Al look Grand, snowy but grand. Do we have pictures of him in the bar after???
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:41 pm
Well, I'll bet we have a new catch phrase for METAs - "Yeah, we're gonna do this!"

Didn't our Al look Grand, snowy but grand. Do we have pictures of him in the bar after???
Check the MMM thread.
Heidi
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

On shore with an assist/won’t be submitting. Mostly frustrated with myself about this puzzle.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Janet P wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:39 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:19 pm Good Sunday morning muggles

And we hope that the snow is gone for everyone

. . .
Nope to that hope. Still snowing here on the shores of Lake Erie. Little accumulation but that is little consolation.
We still have lots. But we like it that way. Check back in May! Bob, I did not see my name on the list but I’ve been ashore since Thursday (post #73). Thanks!
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

JoeS wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:05 am On shore. Struggled with the last part, but then saw something I ignored earlier, which put me over the top. I am 95% sure. Glad to be off the boat today because my daughter and I are spending next week on the boat in Mexico. Plan to join Isaac often.
I have a feeling there might be a few 95%-ers on this one who turn out to be right. There are references to a squishy Step 2, and I had that experience as well. There seemed to be this slight swerve into a different piece of structure, but all in all, the click is there. A faint click, but a click all the same. Couldn't be a coincidence . . .
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Al deserves all the Guinness he can handle. Brrr!
pookie

Post by pookie »

I have copious notes!
I have no answer!
I quit.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:41 pm

Here's my conspiracy theory -- and it's almost as good as Anne Elk's dinosaur theory -- Mr. Sisti deliberately held the parade on the weekend so that he could be available to post on page one here on Thursday. The gods of Ireland, or maybe just St. Patrick, decided to punish him for not having the parade on the actual St. Patrick's day, so they called on the snow machines. Either that or they wanted to help him keep the beer cold.

In any case, Thursday's weather forecast for Utica: 64 degrees.

Coincidence? I think not.
Rufus T. Firefly
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

So y’all were afraid that if you waited until St. Paddy’s Day the weather might be too good?😉🍀
Utica image.png
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I’m solved I think…