"Connect Four" May 5, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Been a long time since I joined the cruise, but it's good to be back. I'm ashore this week... I believe. We shall see!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

I'm calling myself ASHORE! I looked down again and it just popped out at me. IPA, please!
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore. Phew
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Ashore since solving Friday. And still quaffing ale like a Mainiac at a beach party.
Still Ashore & Drinking.JPG
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore!
It took the Friday Zoom sesh to get me to look in the right direction.
I had finished a Modern Geometry final exam just before the WSJCC came out. Besides being exhausted, my mind was focused on theorem proofs rather than intuitive thinking. I did not understand Matt's advice in A-69 at all. What? I always solve on paper.
Got an answer that fits the title and the prompt by changing my perspective and taking another look, although not until after trying to force some mathematical reasoning on the answer.
All I can do is quote Dorothy's immortal words "Toto, we're not in Kansas any more."
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

good company at Isaac's bar. Maybe next week I will swim ashore.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well...... ashore?!?!

We've submitted an answer, and it seems to fit the criteria described with the theme clues, but Matt usually does his puzzles such that you are pretty sure you have the right answer, and we're not that sure. We'll see tonight!

Rita and George
ConfusedPelican

Post by ConfusedPelican »

Anyone able to offer any kind of nudge for this one? I am thoroughly stumped after looking at this severaldifferent ways! :idea:
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Looks like I'll be hanging with Isaac this weekend. That's OK, cause I've had way too much fun pursuing other pastimes, such as enjoying the Wells Fargo
Championship. Today we followed Tony Finau and Ricky Fowler. When we left, Wyndham Clark was only one stroke ahead of Xander Schauffele. Congrats to you, Wyndham!
WellsFargo 5.7.22 (2).jpg
Last edited by Hidden in 3D on Sun May 07, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ConfusedPelican wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:47 pm Anyone able to offer any kind of nudge for this one? I am thoroughly stumped after looking at this severaldifferent ways! :idea:
Click on the Muggle Zoom Room in five minutes!
Heidi
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore, but soaking wet. Not 100% confident, but think my answer could be acceptable.
Colin

Post by Colin »

WiFi or Bluetooth,
AM, FM, VHF?
Disconnected five!
One world. One planet. One future.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Count me with Isaac, well taken care of but wishing I had made it to shore.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On the beach finally. I wouldn’t have gotten there without a hint from my sister-in-law.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Finally ashore with help from the Last Call Zoom.
Jackie J

Post by Jackie J »

Finally ashore after help from some outstanding fellow muggles on a great Zoom call. Definitely went down a rabbit hole this week. Lesson learned….when your down a rabbit hole stop overthinking things. Time for a Bombay Sapphire martini.
SingleMalt

Post by SingleMalt »

Thrown off the Pacific Princess and flailing towards the Bermuda Triangle. Was Fantasy Island also on ABC? Perhaps Da Plane Da Plane can bring me the answer....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles
Our final count is 18 on the ship and 182 on the shore.

And we had an interesting discussion on the zoom call regarding one key word in the hint. More tomorrow

Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FINALLY got the "hint" and found what I needed to. I checked with a colleague because it seems right but not 100% no doubts. So if I am wrong, we both are. Phew, thought I was going to miss the boat.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:00 pm FINALLY got the "hint" and found what I needed to. I checked with a colleague because it seems right but not 100% no doubts. So if I am wrong, we both are. Phew, thought I was going to miss the boat.
Honestly, I think there's only one possible answer, even though the puzzle itself doesn't seem to confirm it.

When I got started on this meta, I listed out all the alliterative cartoon characters that readily came to mind. When I saw the structure of the theme answers, I was able to whittle the list down by about half. Once I figured out the actual mechanism, only one character fit the bill. (I also googled alliterative characters as a sort of safety check, just in case I overlooked something, but none of them fit the mechanism other than my answer and one other similarly-named character from an obscure source I'd never heard of.)

If my answer ends up being wrong I'll be frankly shocked. When Gaffney puzzles require outside-the-crossword knowledge, it's always something fairly obvious. The fact that my answer was one of the first characters I wrote down makes me think it's 100 percent.