"You Don't Say" - January 21, 2022

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
czeemuggle

Post by czeemuggle »

I think I might a got it right. Maybe it's the answer that I was once had been seeking. Pretty sure but then, maybe again on the other hand, not? Getting me a drink anyway just cause I want to.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Since we are in pursuit of a new record, I will report in as Done. Celebratory coffee and blueberry muffin from the nearby shop soon.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm on the crowded shore. It was a quick but rewarding solve and, like always, I'm impressed by the ingenuity of the creators.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

On shore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

This Tuesday, January 25th, 8:30 PM ET / 5:30 PM PT & following the weekly Muggle Zoom meeting, there will be a Zoom session discussing the use of the graphical tools within Excel (& the spreadsheet forms I create for various meta puzzles discussed on this site) to solve metas.

We can also discuss other on-screen graphical tools that can be used.

Click on the Muggle Zoom Room link (above left) to enter.

Arrive an hour earlier and join the XWord Muggles weekly Zoom fun, which goes for an hour, then stay to discuss Excel.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
davis178

Post by davis178 »

Ashore! Just getting the hang of these.
patpatchica

Post by patpatchica »

Ashore, but feeling a little stupid right now that I didnโ€™t figure that out without a small nudge. :(
Overthinking is my super power. 8-)
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Ashore.
A nice lager will do!

Curiousโ€” how many people actually submit each week?
What are the chances of actually winning the mug?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cbaudhuin wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:38 pm Ashore.
A nice lager will do!

I've submitted almost every week for the last 6-7 years. I am mugless.
Heidi
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I'm am joining the shore group. Initially there was a hole that had I persisted would have been a rabbit hole. Fortunately it had a secondary branch that allowed me to find the answer.

To the folks who have remarked about brains working on the puzzle during sleep, I actually awoke one night and realized what the mechanism was that would lead to the answer. Any neuroscientists out there who can explain this?
katnahat

Post by katnahat »

HOLY COW! I actually got it! All by myself! No help! What fun!

On shore, in a hammock with a margarita. In very warm clothing!
Kathie
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

On shore.

Of one thing I am certain: my January streak will end soon, so I will enjoy the shore while I can! : ) ) ) Monkey and tonic, please, with a small wedge of orange. CHEERS
mangine

Post by mangine »

Ashore! ๐Ÿป
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

mangine wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:58 pmAshore! ๐Ÿป
Congrats and welcome to Muggledom! Great to have you!
Sara
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Cbaudhuin wrote: โ†‘Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:38 pm Ashore.
A nice lager will do!

Ah, you have come to the right place! There are several of us who keep records on number of submissions, etc. I believe @KayW has data all the way back to the beginning of the WSJ meta...September, 2015? Also maybe @Bob cruise director. Anyway, I'm sure someone can answer your question.
Cynthia
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

boharr wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:42 pm Okay. Some say "ashore." Some say "on shore." Some just mention sand and/or booze. What does the way we announce our solves say about us?
I donโ€™t know but when arrived and saw the throng of Muggles already here, I gave out a beached wail. ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ˜ญ
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Late start due to a funeral. Done and done, one of the easiest ones that I can recall.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 pm Got a very late start but I'm onshore! My circa-2017 phone stopped working this morning, so I got to buy a new one. As the salesman moved everything over to my new phone, he was making small talk, asking me what I had planned for the rest of the afternoon. Well! of course I told him about the crossword contest. He said (a) he had never gotten that answer before and (b) he'd do his best to get everything done by 4 p.m. Alas, it didn't quite work out that way.
BTW, I was an English major and I've been a journalist and copy editor my entire working life -- and I didn't know how to pronounce the meta answer or what it means.
My lack of familiarity with the word got me delving into its origin which I found fascinating for what it says about cultural influences on language.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Ashore! There are so many of us, we are packed in like a pre-CGI blockbuster crowd scene. But at least we're a happy crowd. 8-)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

LadyBird wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:11 pm I am on shore, although I would prefer to still be CHILling in Antarctica (instead of sitting in the steamy Buenos Aries airport). I quickly glEANed the 8 letters I needed, although my SKills in completing the grid were pretty rocky. I don't have a usUAl drink--this time I'll have a whiskey sour.
IMG_3435.JPG
@LadyBird, I hope you know how much we look forward to your clever bird posts every week. You are a delightful member of our community and we appreciate each of your FINe CHosen words. โค๏ธ