"Bottoms Up!"

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Darth

Post by Darth »

"This is the way"... Thanks, Al!
Attachments
bottoms-up.png
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Got it (I'm almost certain) with the first two nudges and a forehead slap.

Great puzzle, thanks Al! Also, I recommend the 49A trilogy (which has nothing to do with the meta).
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Needed nudge #1 to re-think the way I was reading the title. Got it. (I actually found 5 extra possibilities, but none that were confirmed by other clues.)
Needed nudge #2 to redirect my attention to the right word(s). Got it.
Needed nudge #3 (obviously, because I am still clueless). I do have a guess but it would take a long time to type.
Nudge #4? Anyone?

This is fun! It’s like being the village idiot on an escape room team.

UPDATE: assisted off the couch by some merciful muggles! How a few of you people got there without nudges i do not know, but I am impressed!

FUN PUZZLE!! So many instructions, but worth the treasure hunt. Wins the award for longest meta directive ever, amiright??
Last edited by HeadinHome on Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I believe I’m off the damn couch! Still feeling like a clueless idiot. How could I have not seen that?
Heidi
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

0 for 2.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

OK, I think I am off the couch happily with some nudges and tugs. What a brilliant puzzle. The "aha" moment came to me last night as I was falling asleep so I waited to get off the couch until this morning.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Confirmed, off the couch - it’s a good thing the couch was comfortable because I was there for a long time. Thanks for the puzzle, Al!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
Abide

Post by Abide »

If you need a Nudge 4

dont forget 2022 is “A Year to Watch” 🤔
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Thursday leaderboard additions:

15 higgysue 
16 Cap'n Rick
17 whimsy
18 MamaE
19 woozy
20 Darth
21 Laura M
22 Wendy Walker
23 Bbaack
24 hcbirker
25 Gmoney
26 MarkWoychick
27 markhr
28 Hammertime
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

29 HeadinHome. 😁
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I submitted, but perhaps my answer was incorrect.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Finally OTC. Was very comfortable there . . . .
rjy

Post by rjy »

Enjoyable journey to get tentatively off the couch… awaiting word to see if I must return

UPDATE: off for good!
Last edited by rjy on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Wow. I think *I* was the village idiot with this one. Even knowing what I was looking for, I somehow failed to see it. I think I have finally submitted the right answer. If not, I give up and am not optimistic about my meta mojo this year!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:17 pm I submitted, but perhaps my answer was incorrect.
Hmmm... I don't have a PM or email from you.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:11 pm 29 HeadinHome. 😁
Weird. I didn't get one from you either... I did notice that my Inbox was 100% full, so I deleted a few of the older messages. But maybe yours were sent (and not allowed in) before I made room. If anyone else sent something but hasn't gotten a response from me, please resend your PM. Thanks and sorry...
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I just sent you another PM. No idea what happened to the first one...
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

weird indeed... I actually sent it again after lunchtime, because it seemed to have been swallowed up by a black hole (not in my outbox or sent box). I just checked, and the second one is same.

Sending again now.

I think I remember this problem happening before when I forgot to put anything into the "subject" field... that's completely possible.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Oof. Still on the couch even after a bunch of Al's nudges. My step 1 problem was that I found 15 entries that could be used as pieces for step 1, but after elimination of the ones that didn't fulfill an important criterion, I was left with 8, not 7. And after reading Al's nudges, I realize that 2 of my 8 are incorrect, and I'm missing the 7th which was one of the original 15 that I discarded. Having been dragged to step 2, I think I'll sit the rest of this one out and wait for the reveal.
KayW

Post by KayW »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:49 pm weird indeed... I actually sent it again after lunchtime, because it seemed to have been swallowed up by a black hole (not in my outbox or sent box). I just checked, and the second one is same.

Sending again now.

I think I remember this problem happening before when I forgot to put anything into the "subject" field... that's completely possible.
If you try to send a message without a subject line, you get an error message in red to that effect. I’ve learned (the hard way 😖) to check the screen carefully after submitting to make sure my painstakingly crafted masterpieces (sarcasm font here) actually got sent.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.