MEOW #119: The Ultimate Challenge

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

OK. I just had to jump on the bandwagon and try. This is REALLY lame but it's my very first meta and I felt like had to come up with something.

Kay's 1st meta: EDGY

Thanks to Josh and all for inspiring me to at least stick my toe into Crosshare constructing. You may regret it :lol:

It's amazing how easy Crosshare makes it to construct a puzzle.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

SATURDAY NUDGES

At Josh's request, I am posting some nudges for the Ultimate Challenge, in order of nudginess:

While the puzzle technically could be solved in pdf, I wouldn't recommend it.

When I said I finished the grid in 2 minutes, I took a big short cut.

This could be a science experiment to see how long a solver will look at nonsense before giving up and hitting check or reveal.

Just hit reveal and look/think about the clues and title.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'm happy but I'm not but I am, haha.

Late to the party: I Can't See Anything!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 97. Drab Bag
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

KayW wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:09 pm OK. I just had to jump on the bandwagon and try. This is REALLY lame but it's my very first meta and I felt like had to come up with something.

Kay's 1st meta: EDGY

Thanks to Josh and all for inspiring me to at least stick my toe into Crosshare constructing. You may regret it :lol:

It's amazing how easy Crosshare makes it to construct a puzzle.
Two debuts in one week!! Anyone else? This is you time to shine @boharr @Darth @Dplass @Meg @Joe Ross
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Abide wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:37 pm SATURDAY NUDGES

At Josh's request, I am posting some nudges for the Ultimate Challenge, in order of nudginess:

While the puzzle technically could be solved in pdf, I wouldn't recommend it.

When I said I finished the grid in 2 minutes, I took a big short cut.

This could be a science experiment to see how long a solver will look at nonsense before giving up and hitting check or reveal.

Just hit reveal and look/think about the clues and title.
Well, there's the problem, I guess.
I can't seem to download anything on Josh's original puzzle that will let me hit "Reveal."
However, I may have an educated guess about the solution -- and of course, I want to play too!

So:
https://crosshare.org/crosswords/K7DUYS ... s-backsies

(Mine has a different configuration. I didn't get exact info because of not solving, and I couldn't do what I wanted to do in a mini.)
Abide

Post by Abide »

Hmm, I didn't notice that his main link doesn't show reveal, and its not on Crosshare.

So you have to go to his links which have a puz file (reveal on Across Lite).

Or use this link I made on Crosshare. It's private, and I did not post the solution, but there will be a comment box.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/ZRCrLh ... -challenge
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Uhhhh

I thought I had restricted the solution which apparently I did not? which would not be a problem except there is a profane word in that grid evidently. Sorry about that I did not look at the grid at all! I just needed something autofilled to be allowed to write clues.
KayW

Post by KayW »

madhatter5 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:59 pm Uhhhh

I thought I had restricted the solution which apparently I did not? which would not be a problem except there is a profane word in that grid evidently. Sorry about that I did not look at the grid at all! I just needed something autofilled to be allowed to write clues.
Haha you KNOW as soon as I saw this the twelve-year-old in me had to go back and scour my [revealed] puz grid. I saw two entries that some might assUme are offensive, but I googled and they both have innocuous definitions. Or did I completely miss something else?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

OK -- so now I see it.
But (gasp) I did not follow directions!
Points off and lashes with cattails!
Untitledcatandgirl.png
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ah, everything makes more sense now. I had much of the right idea (after the first 20 minutes or so) but wasn't quite looking at the right things. Thanks for always challenging us, @madhatter5... even if I'm not always up for it!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

OK, I finally got it.

And here’s my contribution:

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/FBgujy ... ar-crossed
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Cat has finally escaped the bag! 🐱
Cindy Heisler
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

MMe

Post by MMe »

In case anyone is still interested, nudges on my 4x4 meta:
Hit reveal and try to figure out how the clues relate to the entries
Like cryptic clues, they break down into two parts.
One part is a straight clue of the four-letter entry, and the other is also a straight clue, but this time of three of those letters. Keep track of the extra letters.
The title, including the "(7)", is a regular cryptic clue whose answer will tell you what to do with the 4 letters you have found.
"for the final" clues the final letters of "for" and "the".
The 7-letter word you have now found is acceptable as the answer, but doesn't have much in particular to do with outer space. I was going for a space vehicle which is a near synonym to that word, and is also 7 letters.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

VERY late to the dance, and in truth I had to have it ELIF for me (thanks Claudia). Hopefully not too late to post my very bad Mini?

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/aWtIjR ... wF/trapped
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution (to mine anyway):

The ULTIMATE letters of the clues spelled out the answer, CONSTRUCT A DIFFICULT YET SATISFYING META ON A FOUR BY FOUR GRID WHICH IS THEMED ON OUTER SPACE.

The grid was unfillable. Which I was hoping people would realize fairly quickly but now feel pretty bad knowing people spent quite a while on it. This was all based on a recent gripe about how that duplicate bridge meta did not require the grid to be filled at all. Which got me thinking, what if you can do away with the grid entirely.

P.S. one of the clues, "Bust down reason" is my favorite cryptic clue ever. It clues a nine letter word.

P.S.S. to the powers that be, I think this shows meta challenges can and should totally be a thing. So much muggle talent.

P.S.S.S. if you thought this was a rotten trick, just wait till tomorrow.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

P.S.S.S.S. it should really have been P.P.S and P P.P.S and this should have been P.P.P.P.S
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

madhatter5 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:28 pm Solution (to mine anyway):

The ULTIMATE letters of the clues spelled out the answer, CONSTRUCT A DIFFICULT YET SATISFYING META ON A FOUR BY FOUR GRID WHICH IS THEMED ON OUTER SPACE.

The grid was unfillable. Which I was hoping people would realize fairly quickly but now feel pretty bad knowing people spent quite a while on it. This was all based on a recent gripe about how that duplicate bridge meta did not require the grid to be filled at all. Which got me thinking, what if you can do away with the grid entirely.

P.S. one of the clues, "Bust down reason" is my favorite cryptic clue ever. It clues a nine letter word.

P.S.S. to the powers that be, I think this shows meta challenges can and should totally be a thing. So much muggle talent.

P.S.S.S. if you thought this was a rotten trick, just wait till tomorrow.
Well that explains a lot...
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

This puzzle was way over my head and I didn't fill in a single square. When will the grid solution and meta be posted? Thx!
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:53 pm This puzzle was way over my head and I didn't fill in a single square. When will the grid solution and meta be posted? Thx!
The grid won't be posted, since it was irrelevant to the meta. The solution is here.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: